Target, Bathrooms, & a PC culture

Solid response JJ, even though we may disagree on the "mental health" of TG people.

Your reponse kind of matches the way "I" interpret the President's policy. We are grown ups. We can tell if a person "belongs" in a restroom. If they pee, wash hands, and get out; have a great day. A person should be able to choose which restroom makes them more comfortable in regards to that. However, if a 16 year old boy claims to be a girl so he can position a video camera in the girl showers, well we got some laws against that and the Administration acknowledges that.

I'm sad because the President had to come out with a policy that should be common sense that is already being practiced.

The reason I keep hearing that TG and TS need to use bathrooms of the gender they aren't is so they are more comfortable. Are they uncomfortable because of a modesty issue or because they fear being assaulted? If it is the former then you have protected the modesty of .2% of the population while making uncomfortable probably half or more of the total female population. If it is the later then "well we got some laws against that". I don't know how long it has been since you were in high school or been around high school boys but if you think some will not push the envelope to find a way to successfully spend time in the girls locker room and bathrooms and come away with pics/video, then your head is a long way up your keester.

How is the law making half or more of the female population uncomfortable? Does this law mean every man will suddenly start using the women's restroom? I imagine this will be a very rare occurrence. As for actual transgendered women, I don't think that many women would be bothered by it.

To the last bolded, that already happens. In fact, trying to take video of girls locker rooms/bathrooms would probably be harder when attempting it in such an obvious way.

I am not saying that every man would start using women's bathrooms. There is a small % of men who would delight in making a woman uncomfortable by following her into a bathroom. And even of that small % very few of those would even be molesters. Can you honestly say you would be comfy if a 6'2 200 lb man followed you into the public bathroom and while not saying anything didn't go into a stall to use the facility? Not saying he was peeping or even near your stall. He might be checking for spinach in his teeth or combing his hair. Would you open the stall door and nonchalantly walk to the sink and wash if he was between you and the exit door? If you say you wouldn't give it another thought you are unlike the 12-15 women I have asked a similar question to over the last few weeks. Given that all the respondents were here in conservative central Nebraska and I would guess at least half of women nationwide do/would not feel comfortable with a man in the same bathroom. Who is standing up for those women? Why do they have to "get over themselves and their insecurities"?

After all that I'm saying I don't see why we as a nation need to cross this bridge for .2% of the population. If the feds are that serious about this then let them fund the cost of either private single stall/either sex bathrooms or make TG/TS only bathrooms. I'm also NOT saying I think TG individuals are now or would be a major problem with being offensive.

I would feel uncomfortable, but not more uncomfortable than I already feel just by being in a public restroom. I don't care if it's a man woman or child in there with me, I don't like public restrooms. I've had little kids peeking under the stall to look at me while I was peeing before. Damn kids.

I think what would make women far more uncomfortable than the possibility of some kind of assault happening is the chance that a man might hear them making "bathroom noises."

Why do you think those kids peeked?

Because kids are kids, damn kids. Most little kids watch their parents (or at least their moms) go to the bathroom, and apparently some of them want to watch everyone go to the bathroom.

That cracks me up!

You can call me a bigot, like everyone else in society likes to, because that's what holding an opinion these days is. But, here is my opinion.

This is not doing what is right. Transgendered people have a mental condition known as gender dysphoria that affects their daily lives. I am not afraid of transgender people. I am not afraid of what they're doing to our culture. I don't give a literal f#*k what bathroom they use. I don't discriminate against other races or genders. I don't intend to discriminate against transgendered people. You're attempting to draw so many parallels that aren't even coming close.

I don't want to facilitate an increase in sexual assaults in our society. Sexual assault and harassment are far more serious and pressing issues in our society that we already don't handle correctly. Multiple friends of mine have been victims of rape and assault and the way our society treats it is ridiculous. I feel that this change in legislation will only be making it easier for those who wish to commit such crime to do so. In addition, I think it only further intends to downplay the seriousness of these problems in our society and continue to place blame on the victims who are "uncomfortable" or "unaccepting" because they don't want those of the opposite gender in a place that has traditionally been a private space for them. And I sure as hell don't think "Well, if the rates go up in a year I guess we can say we made a mistake". You like parallels, so I'll use mine. That'd be like arming every citizen in America and then a year later seeing if our murder and violent shooting rates went up. Who the hell would have approved that idea in the first place? I think its asinine and I love that states in this country are fighting it. 13 and counting have publicly stated their states would not be (or advised their public schools not to) following any mandate from the executive branch regarding this issue, Nebraska included.

• Fire 3

I feel that this change in legislation will only be making it easier for those who wish to commit such crime to do so.

What change in legislation are you talking about?

Laws such as North Carolina's, but in reverse. "Executive mandates" that are probably not too far removed from executive orders at this point. Obama would do it to make his point, no doubt.