Conference Realignment Again

$30M per year less TV money for OU compared to Purdue in 2018...that might be a good reason.BIG boss Delany said high academics would be required of potential new adds. That pretty much means AAU unless you are Notre Dame. OU isn't AAU.I'd like OU/KU added but I don't think it will happen unless Texass is in also.

Oklahoma came out and said they want to juislce up academics. What that consists of I'm not sure.

I think the whole AAU thing went out the window when we lost our status. If Delaney can add the OU TV market, he is going to do it.

You think wrong about "out the window."

Yes OU is talking/trying to juice up academics but it won't be sufficient. Many schools want to be top 50 or 80 or whatever but in the end there are only 80 slots.

Delany is not getting OU in (if he wants to) unless he changes the minds of Univ Pres's on academics. Texas alongside might do that.

Remember also that OU would need to split from nottheOSU and T. Boone and politicians are in the way there.

The best way to realign, if that's really the push, would be to organize 8 "super conferences" of 16 teams each based mainly on geography. That's 96 teams, and each conference would have an 8 team division. You'd have no cross conference play. Each conference would produce a single winner which would go to an 8-team playoff (random seeding). The rest of the teams would go to bowls against cross conference opponents.

That'd be the simplest, cleanest way to break things up, but I highly doubt it would go that way any time soon.

I also don't like the idea of reducing athletic scholarship opportunities for kids at schools 97-116 or whatever it is now.

Wait, you are disagreeing about something? Never seen that before.

I actually agree with cm on this discussion. It would take the polls and bias out of any playoff discussion.

You are assuming OU hasn't already taken steps to distance themselves from lil bro and Texass.

AAU is still a big part of who they want, but TV markets are bigger.

You assumed that I assumed but actually I did not assume. Taken steps and solution are different btw. Do they have it solved? Have a link?

OU is not a big tv market. OU provides additional national interest however so they'd get a thumbs up for adding value on TV revenue and very few schools can do that. You say TV markets are bigger than academics and I say they are both required. OU's not getting in without Texas; IMO.

$30M per year less TV money for OU compared to Purdue in 2018...that might be a good reason.BIG boss Delany said high academics would be required of potential new adds. That pretty much means AAU unless you are Notre Dame. OU isn't AAU.I'd like OU/KU added but I don't think it will happen unless Texass is in also.

Oklahoma came out and said they want to juislce up academics. What that consists of I'm not sure.

I think the whole AAU thing went out the window when we lost our status. If Delaney can add the OU TV market, he is going to do it.

Yes OU is talking/trying to juice up academics but it won't be sufficient. Many schools want to be top 50 or 80 or whatever but in the end there are only 80 slots.

Delany is not getting OU in (if he wants to) unless he changes the minds of Univ Pres's on academics. Texas alongside might do that.

Remember also that OU would need to split from nottheOSU and T. Boone and politicians are in the way there.

Where does OU rank now among public universities? My perception is that it's quite high in the region, probably behind only Texas.

Where does OU rank now among public universities? My perception is that it's quite high in the region, probably behind only Texas.

OU isn't a bad academic school but it isn't top notch either, kind of like us.

OU...http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-oklahoma-norman-campus-207500/overall-rankings

NU...http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-nebraska-lincoln-181464/overall-rankings

Would the Big Ten take OU? Absolutely.

Would the Big Ten expand again if OU is the top billing program coming in? Absolutely not.

After the past round of movement, aside from possibly (and at this point I do mean possibly) Notre Dame, I highly doubt we see The Big Ten expand again until North Carolina is ready to make a move. At which point the Big Ten and SEC will probably fight over landing the Tarheels.

Delany really, really wants a North Carolina & Virginia package deal and would very likely give UNC the option to invite whoever they want to the party to land them. If UNC wants Duke in Duke will be in, if they want NC State or Wake Forest in, they will be in.. if UNC wants all of the above that would probably happen too, basically as long as UNC and Virginia are in Delany would annex all of tobacco road if needed regardless of whoelse that shuts out or leaves the SEC or P12 to snatch.

I like the idea of OU being in our division. Is this even a possibility or are they just blowing smoke?

There has been smoke to the OU move fot about a year now, I would be shocked if there wasn't any discussion currently taking place.

http://www.huskerboard.com/index.php?/topic/78792-ou-to-b1g-media-friend-says-there-are-talks/

Not sure why on earth OU would want to leave the B12--with all their natural, regional, traditional foes nearby--and form the far SW wing of the B1G, but stranger things have happened, I guess, like NU going into the B1G--who's idea was that? I think most of this reallignment stuff is alot of phooey, like I already don't care about most the teams we play in the B1G, like Purdue, ILL, Indiana--I couldn't name one player on any of those teams and the games come and go and I'm like "so what?". We could play Purdue or ILL a million times and I would still be "whatever".

Then they add Rutgers and MD and again, we beat Rutgers and it's like, "so what?, why'd we even play that team"? We only play the good, meaningful teams outside our division like once every 3-4 years, the conference is TOO BIG! The only game in our division that I care a little bit about is Wiscy, just because I hate Wiscy, and to a lesser degree jNU or IA, but I could really care less if we played IA or not. I dunno, going to take a long time to build up an identity within the B1G, I'll prlly be dead before then.

What did I just read

Would the Big Ten expand again if OU is the top billing program coming in? Absolutely not.

After the past round of movement, aside from possibly (and at this point I do mean possibly) Notre Dame, I highly doubt we see The Big Ten expand again until North Carolina is ready to make a move. At which point the Big Ten and SEC will probably fight over landing the Tarheels.

Delany really, really wants a North Carolina & Virginia package deal and would very likely give UNC the option to invite whoever they want to the party to land them. If UNC wants Duke in Duke will be in, if they want NC State or Wake Forest in, they will be in.. if UNC wants all of the above that would probably happen too, basically as long as UNC and Virginia are in Delany would annex all of tobacco road if needed regardless of whoelse that shuts out or leaves the SEC or P12 to snatch.

You were rolling until the NC State and Wake (omg that one had to have been a joke right?) comment.

You were rolling until the NC State and Wake (omg that one had to have been a joke right?) comment.

No not a joke. That said Duke is the only one that UNC reasonably may request provided NC State finds a reasonable landingspot outside the Big Ten. Wake probably would not be in the discussion. I'm not saying any of those four would be invited, simply that Delany would take them of UNC made any or all of those schools tagging along if it lands UNC and Virginia.

So does anyone have any information of substance or is this just another thread about what Delaney wants based off what we want as fans?

Personally I would prefer VT over UVA (though UVA is tolerable) but really could care less about a bunch of basketball schools. OU would be great to add IMO, but simply put UNC is everybit the lynchpun Nebraska was last round and unless that pun is pulled the Big Ten is waiting.