Tim Beck

ScottyIce

It's pretty hard to look bad as a QB coach when you get hired on to a team that has 3 elite QBs.

Which team had 3 elite QBs? If you are talking about OSU, they had a QB turned WR with a messed up throwing shoulder, a QB that had a great 3 game stretch and a strong arm, and a very good QB that got arrested mid season.

Urban dropped the ball on picking the QB because he should have went with Barrett from the beginning. That wasn't on Tim Beck or Ed Warinner.

I am sure if Beck doesn't do a good job this year he will be let go. Saying that, if Alabama can win a NC with Lane Kiffin, I think OSU can do very well with Tim Beck as the co-offensive coordinator. I am not a Buckeye fan that thinks OSU will win a NC every single year and I am not going to get bent out of shape about a 12-1 record a year after a NC season.

• Fire 1

It's pretty hard to look bad as a QB coach when you get hired on to a team that has 3 elite QBs.

Which team had 3 elite QBs? If you are talking about OSU, they had a QB turned WR with a messed up throwing shoulder, a QB that had a great 3 game stretch and a strong arm, and a very good QB that got arrested mid season.

Urban dropped the ball on picking the QB because he should have went with Barrett from the beginning. That wasn't on Tim Beck or Ed Warinner.

I am sure if Beck doesn't do a good job this year he will be let go. Saying that, if Alabama can win a NC with Lane Kiffin, I think OSU can do very well with Tim Beck as the co-offensive coordinator. I am not a Buckeye fan that thinks OSU will win a NC every single year and I am not going to get bent out of shape about a 12-1 record a year after a NC season.

Tim, is that you?

Tim, is that you?

Funny. I am just trying to stay level headed which can be difficult at times. I am sure my opinion will change if JT starts to look like Taylor Martinez chucking the ball around.

• Fire 1

Urban did promise Cardale the starting job if he returned, bad move on his part. Urban did allow Beck play calling duties, Urban's failure again. He was a great play designer, but he is a terrible play caller and developer of QBs. Don't know how anyone can oppose that view. Urban attached himself to Beck because of one play he saw while being the 3rd man in the broadcast booth, which was a sweet like triple/quad option play for a TD. Beck is Urban and OSUs problem now, and I'm so happy for that.

Urban did promise Cardale the starting job if he returned, bad move on his part. Urban did allow Beck play calling duties, Urban's failure again. He was a great play designer, but he is a terrible play caller and developer of QBs. Don't know how anyone can oppose that view. Urban attached himself to Beck because of one play he saw while being the 3rd man in the broadcast booth, which was a sweet like triple/quad option play for a TD. Beck is Urban and OSUs problem now, and I'm so happy for that.

Who said that Urban promised Jones the starting job? The play calling duties are between Ed Warinner and Tim Beck with Urban having the ultimate say. Things got a lot better once Warinner moved to the booth with Beck. I am also sure that Urban did a little more research into Beck than you imply in your post.

But lets just keep making things up because Beck didn't produce at Nebraska.

• Fire 1

Who said that Urban promised Jones the starting job? The play calling duties are between Ed Warinner and Tim Beck with Urban having the ultimate say. Things got a lot better once Warinner moved to the booth with Beck. I am also sure that Urban did a little more research into Beck than you imply in your post.

Man. This is getting testy. My point is that HE COULD NOT AND HAS NOT DEVELOPED ANY QB'S. Nothing to do with his offensive prowess, which is less than stellar as well.

Man. This is getting testy. My point is that HE COULD NOT AND HAS NOT DEVELOPED ANY QB'S. Nothing to do with his offensive prowess, which is less than stellar as well.

lol. He didn't promise him the job, your right. I would again agree that he did some more digging before hiring Beck, but that doesn't take away that Beck was a bad hire and he isn't good enough to be an OC for any program trying to be elite. Warriner going up to the booth raises questions, don't know how that fact shines a good light on Beck, unless that point was made to defend Meyer.

Over the course of 4-5 seasons as an OC at Nebraska, no one has to make anything up about Beck's capabilities, was just having a little fun.

The whole not really ever talking to the media thing is kind of lame. He makes $525,000 a year, he can do an interview once a week for 5 minutes at that price.

IMO. Beck is a decent OC but he is a below average QB coach.

Agree this is a concern. I understand he's the new kid on the block and Meyer probably didn't want him to have to field a lot of questions/criticisms about what was wrong with the QB's and offense. At the same time, I don't really pity someone making $525,000, and tOSU's offense/QB situation was pretty ridiculous at times last year.

Part of that is in Meyer - no doubt. But, I just go back to the article's intent. It's not meant to place everything on Beck, but it is meant to help shy some of the blame away from Jones.

Beck was obviously hated by many, but I do think Martinez and Armstrong improved under his command. Of course, they are not top-notch NFL talents, but they did develop. Armstrong's QB Rating, YPA, and Interceptions have regressed since Beck left, as long as our offense's PPG and YPP. I hope they all improve in Year Two under Langsdorf.

• Fire 1

I agree. Martinez was on a clear upward trajectory. His injury (and many others that year) should have derailed that 2013 season completely. Getting to 9 wins that year may have been Bo's most impressive coaching jobs, especially with all of the off field rumors about him getting fired and his own AD basically cutting off comms.

• Fire 1

Beck was obviously hated by many, but I do think Martinez and Armstrong improved under his command. Of course, they are not top-notch NFL talents, but they did develop. Armstrong's QB Rating, YPA, and Interceptions have regressed since Beck left, as long as our offense's PPG and YPP. I hope they all improve in Year Two under Langsdorf.

Completion percentage increased. Yardage increased. Tiny drop in "rating" came from too many picks which DL and MR did not coach him to throw.

Abdul was departed from the team last year. That probably didn't hurt offensive stats though.

• Fire 1

OMG> I laughed out loud. Martinez showed the most improvement in his entire career at Nebraska from his Sophomore to Junior season, right? (I don't remember which season it was exactly) Regardless, it was the year he worked exclusively with the QB GURU in Cali.

I truly thought Tommy Armstrong was a frickin stud his first time playing at Nebraska. I couldn't believe how good he looked as a passer. After that game, he got worse, and worse and worse. Maybe it was because he was just that much better looking than TMagic, or maybe it was because he just looked better mechanically. You can't explain the lack of growth in their games under Beck.

You can explain the lack of growth in a brand new system (a passing system) under a new regime. If Tommy is the guy all season long this year and we don't see some more development, I will raise my eyebrows a little bit about DL's ability. Now it won't make me go crazy like CMhusker, but it will make me wonder. I'm going to weigh most of DL's grades based on his ability to coach O'Brien and Gebbia up, guys that are his prototypical QB.

• Fire 1