The General Election

Politico went back and evaluated the same 5 day period for each candidate what they found during that time:

• Trump lied an average of 1 time every 3.5 minutes for a total of 87 lies
  • Hillary lied an average of 1 time every 12 minutes for a total of 8 lies

Obviously his twitter and multiple rallys have him with far more airtime during the same period, but the per minute average is telling. If they had the same number of hours on stage he's still outpacing her by a mile.

As far as what they lied about?

• Hillary tended to tell falsehoods about herself ("I didn't realize C meant classified material") but got specifics on policy etc ok
  • Trump was all over the board with his lies, from absolute false statements ("I opposed the Iraq war before it happened") to whiney statements ("Hillary is copying my rallys in front of a plane")
Should be an interesting debate for Lester to manage. I hope that he has a solid performance getting both to be fairly represented.

That was an interesting piece. This blurb summed it up the best, for my money:

We subjected every statement made by both the Republican and Democratic candidates — in speeches, in interviews and on Twitter — to our magazine’s rigorous fact-checking process. The conclusion is inescapable: Trump’s mishandling of facts and propensity for exaggeration so greatly exceed Clinton’s as to make the comparison almost ludicrous.

Look, I get it. Clinton's lied about things. Shocker. Politicians do so. But it bothers the hell out of me when people say things like "Well, they're both liars, what's the difference?"

There's a HUGE difference. Clinton at least TRIES to keep things in the realm of normalcy, with some thought behind what she said, and only occasionally gets caught in a blatant lie.

Trump is so far out in left field, he literally just says whatever he wants ALL the time, with no regard whatsoever for veracity. And it works, because the people who listen to him believe him, and write off fact-checks as "elitist" or "the biased liberal media."

It's really, really sad that we've arrived at a point where truthfulness has apparently become a sin. People are actively believing BS he says DIRECTLY BECAUSE the media points out it's not true. That's enough for some folks to decide it's true and the media is lying instead of Trump...

:facepalm:

What you are describing above IMO, is the fact that her experience in government is more than Trumps, yet has nothing to do with the veracity of the the individual. She has had a lot of practice weaving her web. I am not standing up for DT, just pointing out the difference.

That's fair. That's a good point that I hadn't really thought about. She's certainly more experienced putting out political statements and behaving like a pol, that's for sure.

However, I think it still speaks to their truthfulness. Politifact and other fact checkers actually rank Clinton as one of the most honest politicians to run for president (given she's not discussing emails-- there are some whoppers there. Her explanations have been poor and inconsistent). We may disagree with what she has to say, I'm just analyzing the objective truth of the statement.

Trump, on the other hand, seems completely untethered from factual reality. He simply does not let it impede him. He just makes things up on the spot to suit whatever he's saying. The other day he complained Lester Holt is a Democrat; Holt is a registered Republican. His campaign manager went on TV and defended him with "It's not a lie because Donald didn't know his voter registration."

That's some jacked up logic, but it illustrates that they're not at all concerned with objective reality or dealing in facts.

I think that he outpaces her on honest/trustworthy is due to two things: she's spent many years being branded a liar in the public sphere, and people are saying he's more honest/trustworthy when they mean he's more genuine. And he is genuine; a genuine BSer. He goes up there and does it day in and out without regard for fact or who calls him on it.

But it bothers me a genuine BSer who has no regard for truth or objective reality in charge of our country.

He learned from the best.

+1 for the find NM.

Ladies and gentlemen, have I said this yet?

WE ARE SCREWED no matter what side you fall on.

Donald Trump’s charitable foundation has received approximately $2.3 million from companies that owed money to Trump or one of his businesses but were instructed to pay Trump’s tax-exempt foundation instead, according to people familiar with the transactions.

In cases where he diverted his own income to his foundation, tax experts said, Trump would still likely be required to pay taxes on the income. Trump has refused to release his personal tax returns. His campaign said he paid income tax on one of the donations, but did not respond to questions about the others.

Link

I can't believe that is real. Remember, people were saying this guy should challenge Cuomo for governor of a state. Oy.

This feels appropriate though. Found this the other day.

That time Donald Trump tried to go after the executive producer of Modern Family

Donald Trump’s charitable foundation has received approximately $2.3 million from companies that owed money to Trump or one of his businesses but were instructed to pay Trump’s tax-exempt foundation instead, according to people familiar with the transactions.[/size]

In cases where he diverted his own income to his foundation, tax experts said, Trump would still likely be required to pay taxes on the income. Trump has refused to release his personal tax returns. His campaign said he paid income tax on one of the donations, but did not respond to questions about the others.[/size]

Link

Perhaps someone who's better with numbers and tax code can help me out with this one...

How is this not routine income tax evasion?