Continuing Our Draft Record - Who Gets Drafted in 2017?

Gerry has plenty of talent to play in the NFL. The guy is a beast and extremely fast (not sure where questions of his speed come up, except maybe due to race??). We'll see if his talents are better utilized this year.

What would his race have to do with anything? No one thinks Gerry is less of a football player because he's white.

It was ignorant of him to even bring up.
For once I don't disagree with cm. Anytime questions about speed or quickness come up, they're usually about the "High I.Q. Guys" or the "coaches on the field" or the "real team players" or the "hard workers during the off season." I.e. the White guys.

That doesn't mean Gerry's not slow and it doesn't mean that's what's happening here but it happens often enough that there probably is something going on there. It also happened with Westerkamp in this thread. Maybe it's not that it happens with White dudes but that you don't often hear people saying a Black player is slow.

Okay but literally no one in this thread said anything about Gerry being slow because he's white.
  • Fire 1

Gerry has plenty of talent to play in the NFL. The guy is a beast and extremely fast (not sure where questions of his speed come up, except maybe due to race??). We'll see if his talents are better utilized this year.

What would his race have to do with anything? No one thinks Gerry is less of a football player because he's white.

For once I don't disagree with cm. Anytime questions about speed or quickness come up, they're usually about the "High I.Q. Guys" or the "coaches on the field" or the "real team players" or the "hard workers during the off season." I.e. the White guys.

That doesn't mean Gerry's not slow and it doesn't mean that's what's happening here but it happens often enough that there probably is something going on there. It also happened with Westerkamp in this thread. Maybe it's not that it happens with White dudes but that you don't often hear people saying a Black player is slow.

Okay but literally no one in this thread said anything about Gerry being slow because he's white.
And no one in the thread is saying that anyone ever directly says that a player is slow because he's White. Nor do people directly say that a player is high IQ, a team player, or a coach on the field because they're White. But the thing is, those comments are almost exlusively used for White players whether they're accurate or not.

Point is, someone said he is slow.

But there's no actual evidence of that.

In fact, the evidence (like his 100m time in HS and many other metrics) indicate he possesses next level speed.

So, when someone says he's slow, I have to wonder what the foundation is other than assign assumptions.

• Fire 1

You know what's ridiculous? No one even said Gerry was slow. The analysis was made that Gerry doesn't possess NFL speed or instincts. That doesn't make him "slow." And it is equally dumbfounding and idiotic that race would even be minutely construed as having anything to do with the analysis that was made.

What you're saying is that any time you say a player isn't fast, and that player happens to be white, that their race is playing a factor. That takes about the wit and measure equivalent to a spoon.

Can we please discuss this as adults and drop the race? As such, other analysts have said in the past what I said about Gerry, so this isn't some awe-inspiring revelation people should be shocked about. I stand by what I said that I think Gerry is going to have to make some significant improvement if he is going to be drafted. Do I think he is one of the 243 guys who will get taken next year? As of right now, no.

OWH's List - their reasoning in the article

Punter Sam Foltz

Safety Nate Gerry
Tight end Cethan Carter
Wide receiver Alonzo Moore
Wide receiver Jordan Westerkamp
Running back Terrell Newby
Linebackers Josh Banderas and Michael Rose-Ivey
Another possible pick among the seniors is defensive tackle Kevin Maurice, who will have every opportunity to work himself into a draft pick this season. Former walk-on receiver Brandon Reilly is also a possibility.
In terms of early entries, receiver De'Mornay Pierson-El and cornerback Joshua Kalu could put themselves in position to have to make a choice after the 2016 season.

I disagree with your evaluation of Gerry. He was just beginning to come into his own Soph. Yr new scheme Jr. Yr looked confused most times and I believe to concerned about the rest of the secondary and knowing their responsibilities that it brought his game down. He tried to do to much. Just my two cents.

I agree Gerry is a beast. He is better then any other Saftey we have in the League now. If he has a good year he gets picked some where 5-7 rounds.

I disagree with your evaluation of Gerry. He was just beginning to come into his own Soph. Yr new scheme Jr. Yr looked confused most times and I believe to concerned about the rest of the secondary and knowing their responsibilities that it brought his game down. He tried to do to much. Just my two cents.

I agree Gerry is a beast. He is better then any other Saftey we have in the League now. If he has a good year he gets picked some where 5-7 rounds.

I think Gerry is no less than 4th round next year. He is basically everything the NFL looks for in a safety.