Burn, baby, burn

You know I think the illegal poaching of animal for the ivory they produce is a horrible thing. But don't you think they could sell the siezed ivory to legal dealers or what ever and use the money to help combat the illigal ivory trade or feed the poor or something. The animals are dead and getting rid of the ivory is not going to bring them back. Maybe I am way off base, but I just think some good could come from a very bad situation.

This only drives up the price of ivory, which increases the incentive to poach.

A better, but uncomfortable, approach would be to allow people to raise elephants for ivory.

I think they're far too intelligent to domesticate. I don't think I'm ok with farming an animal that is capable of grieving, and has crazy emotional and social similarities to humans.

I agree they should have sold the ivory though.

A better, but uncomfortable, approach would be to allow people to raise elephants for ivory.

I think they're far too intelligent to domesticate. I don't think I'm ok with farming an animal that is capable of grieving, and has crazy emotional and social similarities to humans.

Is it possible to harvest ivory without slaughtering the elephant? PETA would lose their minds, but if it overall saved the population, isn't that better?

Is it possible to harvest ivory without slaughtering the elephant? PETA would lose their minds, but if it overall saved the population, isn't that better?

It'd be difficult; it'd be like pulling teeth...

(Rim shot)

Btw, elephants are surprisingly easy to catch:

Everyone knows they like peanuts, but what they REALLY love are peas. So you just dig a big hole, burn a little bit of wood/paper in the hole so it has some ashes in it, then place some peas around the perimeter of the hole. Then you hide nearby and wait.

When an elephant walks by, he will stop to take a pea. That's when you jump out and kick him in the ash hole.

Btw, elephants are surprisingly easy to catch:

Everyone knows they like peanuts, but what they REALLY love are peas. So you just dig a big hole, burn a little bit of wood/paper in the hole so it has some ashes in it, then place some peas around the perimeter of the hole. Then you hide nearby and wait.

When an elephant walks by, he will stop to take a pea. That's when you jump out and kick him in the ash hole.

tumblr_m98te04Fwa1rs97nu.gif