Direction of the Program

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last season we looked like a more poorly coached team. A lot of wasted talent and opportunity. Hopefully it gets better this coming year.

I'm starting to think you never actually played

Ad hominem attack aside, think as you please.

This team, with probably 12 or so starters who will play in the NFL, was poorly coached for most of the season, lost to a bad Iowa team in its second to last game to finish 5-7 with 6 losses to teams it should have beaten.

To pretend this staff wrung out all of the production it could from this team is simply foolish.

tran·si·tion

tranˈziSH(ə)n,tranˈsiSH(ə)n/

noun

the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another.

"students in transition from one program to another"

synonyms:change, passage, move,transformation, conversion,metamorphosis, alteration,handover, changeover; More

verb

NORTH AMERICAN

undergo or cause to undergo a process or period of transition.

"the network ought to be built by the federal government and then transitioned into private industry"

How was cm husker able to vote 3 times already?

Aaaaaand there it is....

So RDR has finally admitted he is cm's best bud/doppelganger.

Nah... This is cm's +1 machine. His old buddy from HM.

1-5 in division. Setting up for another trainwreck of a season.

Riley is a career .500 coach for a reason.

You're all wrong. :)

Last season we looked like a more poorly coached team. A lot of wasted talent and opportunity. Hopefully it gets better this coming year.

I'm starting to think you never actually played
Ad hominem attack aside, think as you please.

This team, with probably 12 or so starters who will play in the NFL, was poorly coached for most of the season, lost to a bad Iowa team in its second to last game to finish 5-7 with 6 losses to teams it should have beaten.

To pretend this staff wrung out all of the production it could from this team is simply foolish.

because bad teams reach 12-0 late in the season. was Nebraska a bad team last time they were 12-0 at any point in the season?

Hard to compare. Nebraska never played a schedule as bad as what Iowa played last year.

• Fire 1

You honestly felt last season we looked like a worse team? We havent had a team that passed the eye ball test for quite some time.

I don't have to "feel" or "eyeball test" anything. I just showed you some actual facts that clearly indicate we were a worse team last year. I'm pretty sure these are some of the facts MD3 was referring to when he said we took a big step back last year. Your attempt to discredit his opinion by statistically equating the two previous seasons with "feelings" and "eyeball tests" is understandable, but still wrong. And silly.

I get that a few of you think we are terrible yada yada yada. But to say after watching last season we took a step back is silly to me. We played better football at the end of last season than i have seen in awhile.

There were glimmers of hope. The play at the end of the season showed that when the coaches learn to properly utilize the talent we have, we could have a pretty good team. So perhaps that walks back (forward?) that big step backwards a bit. Although the win over Mich St. felt good, it doesn't actually mean as much as people think it does. And the UCLA win felt good, though it took the coaches a while to formulate an efficient game plan. But there is still a lot of improvement needed by coaches and players to undo some of the sad play and playcalling from ALL of last season.

You honestly felt last season we looked like a worse team? We havent had a team that passed the eye ball test for quite some time.

I don't have to "feel" or "eyeball test" anything. I just showed you some actual facts that clearly indicate we were a worse team last year. I'm pretty sure these are some of the facts MD3 was referring to when he said we took a big step back last year. Your attempt to discredit his opinion by statistically equating the two previous seasons with "feelings" and "eyeball tests" is understandable, but still wrong. And silly.

I get that a few of you think we are terrible yada yada yada. But to say after watching last season we took a step back is silly to me. We played better football at the end of last season than i have seen in awhile.

There were glimmers of hope. The play at the end of the season showed that when the coaches learn to properly utilize the talent we have, we could have a pretty good team. So perhaps that walks back (forward?) that big step backwards a bit. Although the win over Mich St. felt good, it doesn't actually mean as much as people think it does. And the UCLA win felt good, though it took the coaches a while to formulate an efficient game plan. But there is still a lot of improvement needed by coaches and players to undo some of the sad play and playcalling from ALL of last season.

Have we not bitched about playcalling etc since Solich though? Every off season we moan about the same stuff, the names of coaches change but the complaints remain the same. I honestly feel that if Bo would have been here last year we finish with a very similar record. Perhaps 7-5 or 8-4 but i dont think we would have the same optimism many have now.

• Fire 1

Have we not bitched about playcalling etc since Solich though? Every off season we moan about the same stuff, the names of coaches change but the complaints remain the same. I honestly feel that if Bo would have been here last year we finish with a very similar record. Perhaps 7-5 or 8-4 but i dont think we would have the same optimism many have now.

5-7 sure seems like a step backwards from 7-5 or 8-4. That would have resulted in a higher standing in the conference, and likely an actual ranking and better bowl game, or would that be silly?

MD3 will probably accept your apology now.

• Fire 2

A losing season was tough too take, especially given losses to bottom dwellers like Purdue. Last year was a major step back. Maybe we are in the right direction now, but we traveled a great distance in the wrong direction last year.

Reasons for hope:

The coaches talk like TA will run more

DPE will be back

New DL coach

Reasons for despair:

Two DL drafted

Lost most of the OL

Lost the best FB in a generation, and maybe of all time

Hello Paging Mackovicka, Rathman, Schlesinger. jano was good ......but come on man!!!

I am with you about Mackovicka, Rathman & Schlesinger. I lived in Detroit for 20 years, and it was beautiful watching Schlesinger block for Sanders. There is nothing I enjoy more than a FB making a big gain with a quick hitter up the middle. My second joy in life is watching a FB destroy a DB 10 yards down field while the RB goes un-touched. Jano didn't get as many opportunities as the others, but I think he may be just as good. In any case, it will hurt losing him. Even though the coaching staff forgot about him some games, he delivered when his number was called.

5-7 sure seems like a step backwards from 7-5 or 8-4. That would have resulted in a higher standing in the conference, and likely an actual ranking and better bowl game, or would that be silly?

We didnt take a big step back. Why the hell would I apologize for saying i dont view last season as a big step back?

We didnt take a big step back. Why the hell would I apologize for saying i dont view last season as a big step back?

Nothing wrong with not viewing last season as a big step back. I even said myself early in the thread that taking everything into account, the net result is there is no clear direction.

But when there is clear and tangible evidence to suggest it was a step back, it is very disingenuous of you to dismiss that opinion as silly by making intangible, and quite frankly inaccurate comparisons and false equivalencies, especially when you later admit a better record would have resulted otherwise.

Nothing wrong with not viewing last season as a big step back. I even said myself early in the thread that taking everything into account, the net result is there is no clear direction.

But when there is clear and tangible evidence to suggest it was a step back, it is very disingenuous of you to dismiss that opinion as silly by making intangible, and quite frankly inaccurate comparisons and false equivalencies, especially when you later admit a better record would have resulted otherwise.

I guess im one of those crazy people that likes to use what i saw as evidence for how i viewed the teams performance. I still firmly believe we were a better team down the stretch last season as we have been in years. If anything i watched a team grow and take a step forward as the season progressed.

• Fire 3

2015 tie for 4th division
2014 tie for 2nd division
2013 tie for 2nd division
2012 1st place division
2011 3rd place division
2010 1st place division
2009 1st place division
2008 tie 1st place division
Four division titles (at least a tie) in 7 years, 2nd place twice (including ties), and a single 3rd place finish. Tied for 4th, along with 33% less wins than any of the past seasons is a major step back IMO. What would nine wins and a division tie for 2nd be?
  • Fire 1

"Are we headed in the right direction?" Where is the "Don't know yet button? This is like asking the pilot if we are headed in the right direction before the wheels are up. Do you mind if we take off first. There are concerns, yes. There are good signs as well. While there were bad losses, but there were signs of improvement. Despite the struggles in the secondary, the defense was only 1.4 ppg worse. The offense was 5 ppg worse. This despite significant changes on both sides of the ball.

I think we do not have a clear indication of direction at this point.

• Fire 1

I guess im one of those crazy people that likes to use what i saw as evidence for how i viewed the teams performance. I still firmly believe we were a better team down the stretch last season as we have been in years.

That isn't crazy. Like I said earlier, what's crazy is your unreasonable equivalencies of feelz you created to discredit the opinions of others that use factual measurable data. Notice that I've never said your opinion is wrong, just that your method of discrediting other's is silly.

If anything i watched a team grow and take a step forward as the season progressed.

Well, that's not hard to do when you freefall from the beginning of the season and hit bottom midway through -- the only way to go from there is up.

• Fire 2

Hope

Excellent recruits so far (very big)

Short pass game development

New administration

$ from big10 deals will make all of big10 better

Concern:

The d line (big especially if any key guy gets injuried)

Qb play (Riley's system cannot fairly be judged until after Armstrong is gone)

Potential for losing qb and lb coaches to another team in future

While I don't want to be a Debbie downer, I see this team (now and for at least a couple years) as just ok (i.e. 2nd or 3rd in thier division). I don't see it in the class of one of the top teams (and I think you need to be to compete for the big10 title). Hope I'm wrong.

• Fire 1