OWH: Outgoing UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman leaves with unmet goal: Huskers’ return to top

It's a shame this guy was ever allowed to "lead" this university.

I know, why would anyone want a "leader" like Perlman?

Now stepping away after 16 years at the helm, Perlman has presided over a campus renaissance that’s seen UNL markedly elevate its academic standing and reputation.

UNL has more than doubled the amount of ultra-competitive federal research dollars it’s pulling in, a key measure of academic muscle and a way schools build stature.

Enrollment last fall hit an all-time high, and today the school attracts more top-notch students — and more students from out of state — than at any time in recent history.

The school now boasts membership in the Big Ten, an athletic conference that also represents a distinguished academic brand in the world of higher education.

The campus has also been physically made over by some $1.2 billion in construction, including the nascent Innovation Campus on the former grounds of the State Fair and a new arena that’s reshaped downtown Lincoln.

Whether due to Tommy Lee, Perlman’s deadpan “Perls of Wisdom” social media campaign or to stepped-up recruiting efforts, UNL is enrolling more students than ever.

They’re better students, too. The number of freshmen boasting high ACT scores has more than doubled. A school that typically produced one or two Fulbright scholars a year churned out 11 last year.

In other measures of the university’s strides, faculty members are performing at a higher level. The school’s haul of competitive federal research dollars has climbed more than 150 percent since 2000 — well above national average growth in that time.

In the U.S. News rankings of national public universities, UNL has jumped from 57th to 47th, a ranking that today tops neighboring Iowa State, Kansas and Missouri.

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/under-perlman-unl-set-bigger-goals-that-paid-off-in/article_91c28227-c0f2-5105-9e9f-24ba7ab0ccff.html

• Fire 6

Perlman is a liar or an idiot if he thinks that a "high profile" NFL coach was going to move to Nebraska to coach after Frank was fired.

One did just that
I know you're kidding. Because that's hilarious.

Bill Callahan, a high profile NFL coach? Not compared to actually high profile coaches, unless you consider all NFL coaches high profile. Oh wait, Callahan wasn't an NFL coach at that point. He was a shitcanned cast off and a desperation hire.

You were the one that put "High Profile" in quotations, kinda set yourself up for that.

I hate to be in the position of defending cm, but your arguments are not coherent, 1995. He put it in quotations because it was taken from the article.

You are delusional if you think Bill Callahan, fired from the Raiders, was a high profile NFL coach. Perlman even says "he fell into our lap". If a coach falls into your lap, nobody else wants him.

Well, here's the thing. Bill Callahan may have just fallen into our lap, and Bill Callahan may have been the worst hire we could have possibly made, but Bill Callahan also was coming off the heels of a Super Bowl appearance. That pretty much cements him as being a "high profile NFL coach" at that time.

Coherent enough for ya?

It's a shame this guy was ever allowed to "lead" this university.

I know, why would anyone want a "leader" like Perlman?

Now stepping away after 16 years at the helm, Perlman has presided over a campus renaissance that’s seen UNL markedly elevate its academic standing and reputation.

UNL has more than doubled the amount of ultra-competitive federal research dollars it’s pulling in, a key measure of academic muscle and a way schools build stature.

Enrollment last fall hit an all-time high, and today the school attracts more top-notch students — and more students from out of state — than at any time in recent history.

The school now boasts membership in the Big Ten, an athletic conference that also represents a distinguished academic brand in the world of higher education.

The campus has also been physically made over by some $1.2 billion in construction, including the nascent Innovation Campus on the former grounds of the State Fair and a new arena that’s reshaped downtown Lincoln.

Whether due to Tommy Lee, Perlman’s deadpan “Perls of Wisdom” social media campaign or to stepped-up recruiting efforts, UNL is enrolling more students than ever.

They’re better students, too. The number of freshmen boasting high ACT scores has more than doubled. A school that typically produced one or two Fulbright scholars a year churned out 11 last year.

In other measures of the university’s strides, faculty members are performing at a higher level. The school’s haul of competitive federal research dollars has climbed more than 150 percent since 2000 — well above national average growth in that time.

In the U.S. News rankings of national public universities, UNL has jumped from 57th to 47th, a ranking that today tops neighboring Iowa State, Kansas and Missouri.

http://www.omaha.com/news/education/under-perlman-unl-set-bigger-goals-that-paid-off-in/article_91c28227-c0f2-5105-9e9f-24ba7ab0ccff.html

Yeah, but none of that matters since we didn't win any conference titles*.

* In football - we won two National Championships in Volleyball and eleventy billion in Bowling.

BC wasn't A high profile NFL coach at that point, but I don't believe he is lying when he says that SP had a high profile NFL HC lined up and the guy got cold feet. It sounds very logical, as the article says SP made a bad call by not having a solid plan B lined up.

BC wasn't A high profile NFL coach at that point, but I don't believe he is lying when he says that SP had a high profile NFL HC lined up and the guy got cold feet. It sounds very logical, as the article says SP made a bad call by not having a solid plan B lined up.

Yet HP and SE didn't have a plan B beyond MR. Interesting.

Perlman is a liar or an idiot if he thinks that a "high profile" NFL coach was going to move to Nebraska to coach after Frank was fired.

One did just that

Bill Callahan, a high profile NFL coach? Not compared to actually high profile coaches, unless you consider all NFL coaches high profile. Oh wait, Callahan wasn't an NFL coach at that point. He was a shitcanned cast off and a desperation hire.

You were the one that put "High Profile" in quotations, kinda set yourself up for that.

I hate to be in the position of defending cm, but your arguments are not coherent, 1995. He put it in quotations because it was taken from the article.

You are delusional if you think Bill Callahan, fired from the Raiders, was a high profile NFL coach. Perlman even says "he fell into our lap". If a coach falls into your lap, nobody else wants him.

Well, here's the thing. Bill Callahan may have just fallen into our lap, and Bill Callahan may have been the worst hire we could have possibly made, but Bill Callahan also was coming off the heels of a Super Bowl appearance. That pretty much cements him as being a "high profile NFL coach" at that time.

Coherent enough for ya?

That's like saying Solich was a high profile coach for coming off a National Championship appearance. Both were bludgeoned by opponents in their games, and both had bad seasons the year after.

Well, since he was hired, there didn't need to be.

That is faulty hindsight justification. That doesn't change the fact that he didn't learn from his past mistake, and was determined to put all his eggs in one basket again and not have a backup plan. You'd think he would have learned. It's as though he felt he was always right, and was determined to leave his mark on the football program.

• Fire 1

One did just that

Coherent enough for ya?

That's like saying Solich was a high profile coach for coming off a National Championship appearance. Both were bludgeoned by opponents in their games, and both had bad seasons the year after.

Perpsective and all that jazz I guess. I'm not defending either of them and think both were horrible fits here at the times they were here.

It's amusing to me that Perlman would invoke respect for Osborne's legacy while also justifying the idiocy of firing Frank in '03 and later Bo for "not winning the games that matter."

Well, Bo absolutely did not win the games that mattered so what's your point?

Yea Frank probably should not have been fired, but how can anyone still defend Bo? He told you to go F*ck yourself. Bo was an embarrassment, he had a terrible petulant temper, and he could not win the games that mattered.

Harvey's greatest achievement was Sh*t canning ole BO. I commend Harvey for that endeavor.

• Fire 1

That is faulty hindsight justification. That doesn't change the fact that he didn't learn from his past mistake, and was determined to put all his eggs in one basket again and not have a backup plan. You'd think he would have learned. It's as though he felt he was always right, and was determined to leave his mark on the football program.

Please show me in the article that their wasn't a plan B after MR. I know SE said it in his intro of MR but HP didn't say it. I think MR was SE top candidate and when MR said he would listen I think SE went very hard to get him and got what he wanted. I do think that had MR said no not interested that he had plan B type guys to look at though.

I don't think SE if MR would have shown no interest would have went "Oh sh#t what do we do now" That is what SP did, that is why it took 41 days to find a coach. SP badly misread the coaching landscape. He thought he would have guys fighting for the job at Nebraska and that just wasn't the case.