BTN 2016 football schedule analysis: Nebraska Cornhuskers

With a decent coach Oregon and Ohio State would be our only two games and possible losses. Heck Oregon may not even be that good since it seems like Helfrich may be the next Frank Solich or Larry Coker guy who goes downhill after initially succeeding off another coach's momentum. Our division of the Big 10 sucks- let's be honest. With a decent coach we'd go 6-0 vs our division. But since Riley is coach we'll go 6-6 or 7-5. If lucky breaks go our way maybe 8-4, but I think that's unlikely.

That BYE week is in an awful spot, wish we had it 2 weeks later.

Man, I gotta say it and I HATE bringing it up, but our conference losses under the B1G banner are pretty ugly. Consider the following:

-In regulation time, NW is essentially 3-0 in Lincoln

-1-4 vs Wiscy is ugly no matter how you spin it

-Iowa is 2-1 in Lincoln

-We have lost to Purdue, that's kinda Ohio State's thing

-We let Minnesota beat us twice in a row home and away

-Illinois.....

-1 division title after 5 years in the conference speaks volumes

Our biggest accomplishments are far and few between:

-Handed Hoke his 1st B1G home loss in the Big House

-Biggest comeback against tOSU in school history the year they were led by.....Luke Fickell

-We went 3-0 vs Penn State in that short lived "rivalry"

-Knocked off #6 Sparty in Lincoln twice now

Point is, we are overdue to make our mark in this league. For 5 years now we have been the big boys schedule padder with a sparkly name. It's time to announce our return, I vote that starts in 2016.

I swear if big things happen this year I'm gonna bump this and call you a prophet. I hope that as well. My father has been very pessimistic about the team for the past 8 or so years. He tells me that this is going to be a big year. Just that simple statement makes me happy. I want this to happen so bad...

I posted my "predictions" in a different thread in December, but I'm making some changes:

Fresno State win

Wyoming win

Oregon loss toss up

Northwestern toss up

Illinois win

Indiana toss up

Purdue win

Wisconsin toss up

Ohio State loss

Minnesota win

Maryland win

Iowa toss up

6 wins, 4 toss ups, 2 losses 6 wins, 5 toss ups, 1 loss

So it could be 6-6 up to 10-2, but I think it's more like 7-5 or 8-4 So it could be 6-6 up to 11-1, but I think now that it's more likely 8-4 or 9-3

I'd almost put NW as a loss more than a toss up. We've shown no signs of being able to stop them since we joined in the Big Ten, IMO.

I posted my "predictions" in a different thread in December, but I'm making some changes:

Fresno State win

Wyoming win

Oregon loss toss up

Northwestern toss up

Illinois win

Indiana toss up

Purdue win

Wisconsin toss up

Ohio State loss

Minnesota win

Maryland win

Iowa toss up

So it could be 6-6 up to 10-2, but I think it's more like 7-5 or 8-4 So it could be 6-6 up to 11-1, but I think now that it's more likely 8-4 or 9-3

I'd almost put NW as a loss more than a toss up. We've shown no signs of being able to stop them since we joined in the Big Ten, IMO.

We've done a pretty good job of stopping them. We've just done a better job of shooting ourselves in the foot too often.

Fresno State win

Wyoming win

Oregon loss toss up

Northwestern toss up

Illinois win

Indiana toss up

Purdue win

Wisconsin toss up

Ohio State loss

Minnesota win

Maryland win

Iowa toss up

We've done a pretty good job of stopping them. We've just done a better job of shooting ourselves in the foot too often.

Years ago I heard an interview that Kirk Herbstreet was doing and the host (I think it was Rome) asked how the Illini could beat the Buckeyes that weekend...Herbie said something like "Well, they can hope that since it is an 11am game and at Illinois that the Buckeyes will be tired and sleepy and hopefully the skies will be gray and gloomy, then they might have a chance"

I feel like that was how it "felt" for last years NW game...only Nebraska was the sleepy team.

Years ago I heard an interview that Kirk Herbstreet was doing and the host (I think it was Rome) asked how the Illini could beat the Buckeyes that weekend...Herbie said something like "Well, they can hope that since it is an 11am game and at Illinois that the Buckeyes will be tired and sleepy and hopefully the skies will be gray and gloomy, then they might have a chance"

I feel like that was how it "felt" for last years NW game...only Nebraska was the sleepy team.

Yeah, if not sleepy, at least unfocused or sloppy.

The first game was really the only one they outplayed us. But we've done enough stupid things to make them all interesting.

Total Offense Yards

2011: NU - 411; NW - 468

2012: NU - 543; NW - 301

2013: NU - 472; NW - 326

2014: NU - 471; NW - 290

2015: NU - 373; NW - 333

It's almost crazy how evenly we have played both MSU and NW over the 5 years we have been here. Both series are 3-2 us in the lead only by a comeback win to tip it in our favor. Both teams have beaten us in Lincoln and lost in Lincoln, same in their home stadium.

The weird thing is, MSU is by far the better team. Yet NW gives us WAY more trouble on a yearly basis save for 2014.