2016 Opponent Previews: Oregon

Preview of Oregon's potential starter Dakota Prukop. Reviewed by the Big Sky coaches.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/07/stopping_dakota_prukop_how_big.html#incart_m-rpt-2

And how many games has he played in for Oregon?

Zero. The same as Vernon Adams at this point a year ago. The same as Russell Wilson for Wisconsin at this point in 2011.

He is neither of those but, he's not incompetent.

This is an Oregon Duck board now?

Read the topic title?
Yes but the way you've been pimping the ducks lately I just had to ask.

We play the Ducks this year and it will be one of our biggest games this year so it's interesting to know what kind of team they might or might not have.

Also CPT was the one who linked to the SB article which was very interesting. That is a pretty impressive preseason analysis of a football team by that writer.

I put it up here 10 days ago but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. You are due the credit. Thanks saunders45 for the link and your comment about the quality of research by that writer is spot on. That's some of the best research I've seen.

SBN should be commended for their great writing. I got the "Elite Player Metric" from that same website.

I think I must have overlooked the link in your first comment because of "link overdose" from your comment... LOL

With that said... a couple of comments made by the writer stand out. First is his comment that "bowls don't really mean that much". He is flat out saying that bowls have very little predictive value about future success or future lack of success. That should come as a huge surprise to all those here who have been claiming that our bowl game last year indicated success this year... and there is a whole lot of people who have been saying that.

The second thing he talked about and something I've read a lot of lately... is the fan and media unhappiness with the Oregon program... because the current coaching staff does not appear to be living up to the standard set by Chip Kelly. Sound familiar? That's pretty much the exact same thing that Nebraska fans have been going through for 18 years and it's the exact same reaction of Alabama fans... Ohio State fans and the fans of any and all programs that had former great success. So the claim that only Nebraska fans act that way is nonsense and that only Nebraska fans expect "too much" is also nonsense. It's the nature of sports and fans. It's the natural way for fans to react.

A lot of great stuff in that article. Thanks again for the link.

• Fire 1

This is an Oregon Duck board now?

Read the topic title?
Yes but the way you've been pimping the ducks lately I just had to ask.

We play the Ducks this year and it will be one of our biggest games this year so it's interesting to know what kind of team they might or might not have.

Also CPT was the one who linked to the SB article which was very interesting. That is a pretty impressive preseason analysis of a football team by that writer.

I put it up here 10 days ago but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LOL

I believe in giving credit where credit is due. You are due the credit. Thanks saunders45 for the link and your comment about the quality of research by that writer is spot on. That's some of the best research I've seen.

SBN should be commended for their great writing. I got the "Elite Player Metric" from that same website.

I think I must have overlooked you link in your first comment because of "link overdose" in your comment... LOL

With that said... a couple of comments made by the writer stand out. First is his comment that "bowls don't really mean that much". He is flat out saying that bowls have very little predictive value about future success or future lack of success. That should come as a huge surprise to all those here who have been claiming that our bowl game last year indicated success this year... and there is a whole lot of people who have been saying that.

The second thing he talked about and something I've read a lot of lately... is the fan and media unhappiness with the Oregon program... because the current coaching staff does not appear to be living up to the standard set by Chip Kelly. Sound familiar? That's pretty much the exact same thing that Nebraska fans have been going through for 18 years and it's the exact same reaction of Alabama fans... Ohio State fans and the fans of any and all programs that had former great success. So the claim that only Nebraska fans act that way is nonsense and that only Nebraska fans expect "too much" is also nonsense. It's the nature of sports and fans. It's the natural way for fans to react. A lot of great stuff in that article.

Thanks again for the link.

No worries man, just yanking your chain! And I agree with your comments on Bill C. IMO, he's the best in the business.

Preview of Oregon's potential starter Dakota Prukop. Reviewed by the Big Sky coaches.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2016/07/stopping_dakota_prukop_how_big.html#incart_m-rpt-2

Zero. The same as Vernon Adams at this point a year ago. The same as Russell Wilson for Wisconsin at this point in 2011.

I think he will be more than serviceable for Oregon. I don't think he is going to have a good time in Lincoln though.

Sounds like he can run also. He put up good numbers but imo you have to consider the conference he did it in (Big Sky). Will be interesting to see how things turn out for him and them at QB nonetheless.

That has to be one of the most unique quarterback situations ever in major college football.

Two years in a row. What does that say about experience in the system? The whole transfer thing has college football starting to look like pro ball is some ways. Two different transfer quarterbacks in two years and they're beating out the recruited quarterbacks?

All of this is a major change in the college football landscape. I guess we're going to have to get used to it.

That has to be one of the most unique quarterback situations ever in major college football.

Two years in a row. What does that say about experience in the system? The whole transfer thing has college football starting to look like pro ball is some ways. Two different transfer quarterbacks in two years and they're beating out the recruited quarterbacks?

All of this is a major change in the college football landscape. I guess we're going to have to get used to it.

It happened to Wisconsin. Russell Wilson was followed up by Danny O'Brien.

It happened to Wisconsin. Russell Wilson was followed up by Danny O'Brien.

I forgot about that. What a change in the established system of recruiting and developing players. Who knows what the college football landscape will look like in 10 years. The fact that they are beating out recruited and established players is amazing. Free agency.

The second thing he talked about and something I've read a lot of lately... is the fan and media unhappiness with the Oregon program... because the current coaching staff does not appear to be living up to the standard set by Chip Kelly. Sound familiar? That's pretty much the exact same thing that Nebraska fans have been going through for 18 years and it's the exact same reaction of Alabama fans... Ohio State fans and the fans of any and all programs that had former great success. So the claim that only Nebraska fans act that way is nonsense and that only Nebraska fans expect "too much" is also nonsense. It's the nature of sports and fans. It's the natural way for fans to react.

It's pretty damn absurd.

Kelly first 3 years

10-3

12-1

12-2

3 conference championships, 1 national championship game appearance, 1 rose bowl win, 1 rose bowl loss

wins over (at the time, and in order) the #18, #6, #4, #13, #9, #24, #21, #18, #3, and #9 ranked teams.

Helfrich first 3 years

11-2

13-2

9-4

1 conference championship, 1 national championship game appearance, 1 alamo bowl win, 1 alamo bowl loss

wins over (at the time, and in order) the #16, #12, #7, #18, #17, #8, #2, and #22 ranked teams.

It's not as good, certainly, but if the expectation is a conference championship, title game appearance or rose bowl appearance every single year then Oregon will throw itself back into mediocrity by not knowing how good they have it.

It's pretty damn absurd.

Kelly first 3 years

10-3

12-1

12-2

3 conference championships, 1 national championship game appearance, 1 rose bowl win, 1 rose bowl loss

wins over (at the time, and in order) the #18, #6, #4, #13, #9, #24, #21, #18, #3, and #9 ranked teams.

Helfrich first 3 years

11-2

13-2

9-4

1 conference championship, 1 national championship game appearance, 1 alamo bowl win, 1 alamo bowl loss

wins over (at the time, and in order) the #16, #12, #7, #18, #17, #8, #2, and #22 ranked teams.

It's not as good, certainly, but if the expectation is a conference championship, title game appearance or rose bowl appearance every single year then Oregon will throw itself back into mediocrity by not knowing how good they have it.

Kelly first three years recruiting: 13th...9th...16th...

Helfrich first three years recruiting: 23rd...17th... 28th...

What I've read from many Oregon fans is.... it's the momentum thing. A slip in recruiting and a 9-4 record has fans and media feeling the Big Mo slipping away. Momentum is a very strong beast.

Pretty much like many Nebraska fans felt with Solich. All typical fan reactions. We'll just have to see if the sentiment is right or wrong.

Forget punting and field goals, you have to get touchdowns on this defense. And keep them under 33 if you want a shot. Doesn't sound easy to me.

2015 record (bold road games since they travel to Lincoln)

W 61-42
L 28-31 road / ranked opponent (MSU)
W 61-28
L 20-62 ranked opponent (Utah St)
W 41-24 road
L 38-45 OT
W 26-20 road
W 61-55 road
(3OT)
W 44-28
W 38-28 road ranked opponent (Stanford)
W 48-28 ranked opponent (USC)
W 52-42
L 41-47 Bowl (3OT) (TCU)

So apparently they went 3-4 when opponent scored over 30. Heck they were 3-3 when opponent scored 40 points or more! Unbelievable.

What I've read from many Oregon fans is.... it's the momentum thing. A slip in recruiting and a 9-4 record has fans and media feeling the Big Mo slipping away. Momentum is a very strong beast.

Pretty much like many Nebraska fans felt with Solich. All typical fan reactions. We'll just have to see if the sentiment is right or wrong.

In response to Landlord of Memorial Stadium

More on Oregon's recruiting...

In Kelly's first 3 years he recruited 32 Elite players (4 and 5 star players) including 3... 5 star players

In Helfrich's first 3 years recruiting he recruited 18 Elite players... and no 5 star players. In Helfrich's last recruiting class they recruited only 4 elite players.

That's a huge difference. Kelly recruited almost twice as many Elite players and a much higher caliber of players.

Recruits have spoken loud and clear... the fans and media have noticed and reacted accordingly.

In response to Landlord of Memorial Stadium

More on Oregon's recruiting...

In Kelly's first 3 years he recruited 32 Elite players (4 and 5 star players) including 3... 5 star players

In Helfrich's first 3 years recruiting he recruited 18 Elite players... and no 5 star players. In Helfrich's last recruiting class they recruited only 4 elite players.

That's a huge difference. Kelly recruited almost twice as many Elite players and a much higher caliber of players.

Recruits have spoken loud and clear... the fans and media have noticed and reacted accordingly.

And to get these recruits Kelly committed recruiting violations that would carry over I think if he returned to college ball. I can't remember how many but I think it was 8 games he was banned for?

Forget punting and field goals, you have to get touchdowns on this defense. And keep them under 33 if you want a shot. Doesn't sound easy to me.

2015 record (bold road games since they travel to Lincoln)

W 61-42

L 28-31 road / ranked opponent (MSU)

W 61-28

L 20-62 ranked opponent (Utah St)

W 41-24 road

L 38-45 OT

W 26-20 road

W 61-55 road (3OT)

W 44-28

W 38-28 road ranked opponent (Stanford)

W 48-28 ranked opponent (USC)

W 52-42

L 41-47 Bowl (3OT) (TCU)

So apparently they went 3-4 when opponent scored over 30. Heck they were 3-3 when opponent scored 40 points or more! Unbelievable.

Stanford game was actually 38-36.