2016 Opponent Previews: Oregon

Here's an interesting preview/take from rival Washington on the Oregon 2016 season. The truth about the season is somewhere between any sunshine pumping I've done and this preview here.

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2016/7/14/12138046/the-gekko-files-previewing-oregon-ducks-football-in-2016-uniforms-mariota-chip-kelly

You catch my drift. Falls from grace happen all the time. Sometimes it happens in the form of a grand ball of fire. Sometimes it is a more a gradual state of decay. But it happens with remarkable regularity in all facets of normal life.

The question facing the University of Oregon in 2016 is whether or not they are facing such a decline. The evidence is mounting that this Oregon team is becoming less of what it once was. The recruiting rankings are down. The defense has gone from great to good to bad in a span of just a few years. Coaching turnover has accelerated on what was once the most stable coaching staff in the nation. The roster has evolved to become an all-star team of the best that the graduate and FCS waiver wires have to offer in any given year.

I would actually say that is a pretty good preview. Take out the humor and IMO it is pretty spot on. He basically says Oregon goes 5-4 in conference, I think that is completely plausable. Going 6-3 in conference is also a possibility as well as something worse than 5-4. Combine that with a NU loss and it might not look too good. I said in an earlier post they really only have about 3 games that are gimmies. The rest are toss ups or losses.

I don't think it is that Oregon is going to be bad, I just don't think they are going to be significantly better than a lot of their opponents. They still have the mystique on their side which does count for something, but there are a lot of PAC 12 teams that would love to put a beat down on Oregon and will do it if they get the chance.

It's interesting how the Pac12 is in a total upswing as a whole compared to 2010 when Oregon dominated a pretty weak conference in all honesty. It's a whole lot more competitive than it was.

In a lot of instances it is about coaching. ASU, AU, and UCLA have always had decent athletes, it took an upgrade in coaching to get them going in the right direction. Shaw IMO is the best coach in the PAC 12 right now and Peterson is not far behind. Oregon has to play them every year. The Pirate over at Wassu will always be dangerous. Dykes is good at Cal, Wittingham is good at Utah. but I do think Anderson will stuggle at OSU.

Chip Kelly was a great coach for Oregon, I would put Helfridge at about 8 in the PAC 12 right now.

Don't disagree.

I'm holding out hope for Herman to hang on to Houston long enough for Oregon to go get him after Helfrich peters out to the expectations at Oregon. Grandpa Phil isn't going to be happy if Oregon continues to slide.

It really isn't that much different than when TO retired and FS took over, except TO was at NU a lot longer and the level of sustained excellence was a lot longer. You can do everything the same, but it doesn't always come out the same way. I was pretty learly of the FS hire, because I knew the chances of having business as usually at NU were pretty slim. Too many people thought it was the system that made NU so great. I think we found out it had a lot more to do with the HC than we wanted to admit.

The fact that NU hit lightnig in a bottle with TO after Bob retired is a lot of luck and the fact that college football was a much different game. The really good teams, which NU was in 1973, really were that much better than the rest of the teams. The margin for error is a lot slimmer now.

It had a lot to do with the head coach, but it also had a lot to do with the fact that FS replaced an OC with 30+ years of experience with an OC with none (himself) and then in 2000 replaced the long time DC with another coordinator with no experience. I think that was significant, as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an interesting preview/take from rival Washington on the Oregon 2016 season. The truth about the season is somewhere between any sunshine pumping I've done and this preview here.

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2016/7/14/12138046/the-gekko-files-previewing-oregon-ducks-football-in-2016-uniforms-mariota-chip-kelly

You catch my drift. Falls from grace happen all the time. Sometimes it happens in the form of a grand ball of fire. Sometimes it is a more a gradual state of decay. But it happens with remarkable regularity in all facets of normal life.

The question facing the University of Oregon in 2016 is whether or not they are facing such a decline. The evidence is mounting that this Oregon team is becoming less of what it once was. The recruiting rankings are down. The defense has gone from great to good to bad in a span of just a few years. Coaching turnover has accelerated on what was once the most stable coaching staff in the nation. The roster has evolved to become an all-star team of the best that the graduate and FCS waiver wires have to offer in any given year.

I would actually say that is a pretty good preview. Take out the humor and IMO it is pretty spot on. He basically says Oregon goes 5-4 in conference, I think that is completely plausable. Going 6-3 in conference is also a possibility as well as something worse than 5-4. Combine that with a NU loss and it might not look too good. I said in an earlier post they really only have about 3 games that are gimmies. The rest are toss ups or losses.

I don't think it is that Oregon is going to be bad, I just don't think they are going to be significantly better than a lot of their opponents. They still have the mystique on their side which does count for something, but there are a lot of PAC 12 teams that would love to put a beat down on Oregon and will do it if they get the chance.

It's interesting how the Pac12 is in a total upswing as a whole compared to 2010 when Oregon dominated a pretty weak conference in all honesty. It's a whole lot more competitive than it was.

In a lot of instances it is about coaching. ASU, AU, and UCLA have always had decent athletes, it took an upgrade in coaching to get them going in the right direction. Shaw IMO is the best coach in the PAC 12 right now and Peterson is not far behind. Oregon has to play them every year. The Pirate over at Wassu will always be dangerous. Dykes is good at Cal, Wittingham is good at Utah. but I do think Anderson will stuggle at OSU.

Chip Kelly was a great coach for Oregon, I would put Helfridge at about 8 in the PAC 12 right now.

Don't disagree.

I'm holding out hope for Herman to hang on to Houston long enough for Oregon to go get him after Helfrich peters out to the expectations at Oregon. Grandpa Phil isn't going to be happy if Oregon continues to slide.

Wrong! Houston needs to hold on long enough for Nebraska to get him :)

• Fire 1