CIA 'mistakenly' destroys copy of 6,700-page US torture report

We are getting skewered, mostly by "citizens" of our own country, for waterboarding, meanwhile there are people out there cutting off heads and dipping people in acid.

We've already given terrorism massive victories in the invasion of privacy and freedoms we enjoy, and stooping to their levels via torture is just another bad step.

• Fire 1

We are getting skewered, mostly by "citizens" of our own country, for waterboarding, meanwhile there are people out there cutting off heads and dipping people in acid.

We've already given terrorism massive victories in the invasion of privacy and freedoms we enjoy, and stooping to their levels via torture is just another bad step.

Yeah, waterboarding is arguably torture. As are the other things we've been known to do--sleep deprivation, containment in a small box with insects, slapping and beating, etc. But these don't even compare to beheading and cutting off limbs which are preferred methods of our terrorist enemies.

Not that that makes it right. It's just a tough thing, knowing where to draw the line in the war against terrorism.

We have satellites, and a crapton of other technology. Seems to me if we can't get the info we need through other means and have to use antiquated methods then we're a bunch of idiots.

We?

Yeah, waterboarding is arguably torture. As are the other things we've been known to do--sleep deprivation, containment in a small box with insects, slapping and beating, etc. But these don't even compare to beheading and cutting off limbs which are preferred methods of our terrorist enemies.

Not that that makes it right. It's just a tough thing, knowing where to draw the line in the war against terrorism.

I don't understand why people bring up what the bad guy is doing when discussing whether we should use torture. They torture people because they're sadistic and evil. Not for information.

We have the technology available to get vast amounts of intelligence without the need to do anything even resembling what they do.

The only reason for the comparison I can think of is that we should use torture to intimidate the ones who hear about it. Lots of terrorists go on suicide missions. I dont think it would have any effect on them. This isn't apples to apples.

We have satellites, and a crapton of other technology. Seems to me if we can't get the info we need through other means and have to use antiquated methods then we're a bunch of idiots.

We?
What is your question? You used we. I'm a U.S. citizen. I'm partially responsible for what we do to get information, and my taxes help pay for whatever method we use to get it, whether it's technology, spies, or torture. Anything done in the name of the country I am a citizen of is something I consider done by "we." Again, I don't understand the question.

We?
What is your question? You used we. I'm a U.S. citizen. I'm partially responsible for what we do to get information, and my taxes help pay for whatever method we use to get it, whether it's technology, spies, or torture. Anything done in the name of the country I am a citizen of is something I consider done by "we." Again, I don't understand the question.
Then please quit paying taxes and move out of the country. Thank you. Btw, i dont doubt you have trouble understanding.

We?
Then please quit paying taxes and move out of the country. Thank you. Btw, i dont doubt you have trouble understanding.

Why would I want to do that? I wasn't making that comment as any kind of complaint. I was merely explaining why I refer to the United States as "We." I don't get what your deal is here. Of course I don't understand it. You're being deliberately vague.

My hypothesis is that you're calling me un-American and stupid for thinking that having satellites, superior technology and weaponry should be enough to kill these people without needing to resort to torturing them for intel.

I don't understand why people bring up what the bad guy is doing when discussing whether we should use torture. They torture people because they're sadistic and evil. Not for information.

We have the technology available to get vast amounts of intelligence without the need to do anything even resembling what they do.

The only reason for the comparison I can think of is that we should use torture to intimidate the ones who hear about it. Lots of terrorists go on suicide missions. I dont think it would have any effect on them. This isn't apples to apples.

I get what you're saying here, and I'm not advocating for torture by saying this but I just want to offer one thing: terrorists don't torture themselves to death on a suicide mission.

I get what you're saying here, and I'm not advocating for torture by saying this but I just want to offer one thing: terrorists don't torture themselves to death on a suicide mission.

Ya, suicide would be preferable in most cases. I still don't think us using torture is going to change how they act. It's not like they don't already think we use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, I really hate all that non-lethal torture the U.S. did...................

"Isis beheads 4-year-old girl then forces mother to soak hands in her blood after 'swearing to Allah'"

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-beheads-4-year-old-girl-then-forces-mother-soak-hands-her-blood-after-swearing-allah-1566529?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news&yptr=yahoo

"Isis beheads 4-year-old girl then forces mother to soak hands in her blood after 'swearing to Allah'"

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-beheads-4-year-old-girl-then-forces-mother-soak-hands-her-blood-after-swearing-allah-1566529?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rss&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news&yptr=yahoo

Shouldn't we be above it?

Shouldn't we be above it?

Apparently we're can't complain about U.S. torture until the C.I.A. beheads someone.

• Fire 1