CIA 'mistakenly' destroys copy of 6,700-page US torture report

The CIA inspector general’s office has said it “mistakenly” destroyed its only copy of a comprehensive Senate torture report, despite lawyers for the Justice Department assuring a federal judge that copies of the documents were being preserved.

The 6,700-page report contains thousands of secret files about the CIA’s use of “enhanced” interrogation methods, including waterboarding, sleep deprivation and other aggressive interrogation techniques at “black site” prisons overseas.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/cia-mistakenly-destroys-copy-of-6700-page-us-torture-report-feinstein-a7034096.html

Uh huh... sure. And no one will be held accountable for this 'accident' at all.

I might be in the minority here but I have absolutely no issues with what the CIA done to get information.

And this is why we fail as a country--the end never justifies the means.

Well, that's what I learned when going to Sunday School, anyway. They probably don't teach that now, what with it being a completely inconvenient concept and all.

• Fire 1

Sounds like the missing 23 minutes in the Nixon tapes, the missing Rose Law firm documents (later to be conveniently found), the destroyed IRS hard drive - the list could go on and on from both parties of items conveniently lost, destroyed, shredded, etc. All CYA actions. Accidents don't happen in politics, they are arranged.

I know if the "ends justify the means" or not. Because they destroyed the report.

We can't have a government, in any capacity of their duties, say "we did what we had to do, just trust us."

I'm not going to jump to conclusions about whether this data is lost forever, but there's no doubt that in a free and open society, that report should have been subject to declassification and examination by the citizenry.

Sounds like the missing 23 minutes in the Nixon tapes, the missing Rose Law firm documents (later to be conveniently found), the destroyed IRS hard drive - the list could go on and on from both parties of items conveniently lost, destroyed, shredded, etc. All CYA actions. Accidents don't happen in politics, they are arranged.

Snowden seems to concur.

• Fire 1

We are getting skewered, mostly by "citizens" of our own country, for waterboarding, meanwhile there are people out there cutting off heads and dipping people in acid.

Have any of the "means" reached the "ends" of capturing or killing those people?

Fact is, probably not. But apparently we can't know because the record was destroyed.

We are getting skewered, mostly by "citizens" of our own country, for waterboarding, meanwhile there are people out there cutting off heads and dipping people in acid.

We have satellites, and a crapton of other technology. Seems to me if we can't get the info we need through other means and have to use antiquated methods then we're a bunch of idiots.