Veepstakes

I hope he picks Christie. He should have picked a woman.

So he shouldn't pick the best PERSON for the job, who ever that is regardless of gender?

I should've known someone would go there. :rolleyes:

Trump's goal is to win the election. I think he should choose a woman to give him the best chance of winning. Many women (and men) think he's sexist, and it might help him with that.

This has nothing to do with how I decide who to vote for, or who I think would be the best VP for the country, or how nice it would be if how good the VP will be at the job was more important than how much they'll help the candidate win the presidency. We don't live in an ideal world where we pick politicians based on how good they are at their jobs or how good they are as people. We pick people like Trump and Clinton.

I want Trump to pick Christie because in my opinion it will give him less chance (however slight) of winning the presidency than if he chose a woman.

Presidents have picked VPs to help them get elected, not the best people for the job, going back for ages.

It's not great, but it's not the complete worst, either. I think you could argue that this appropriately constrains them in some meaningful ways. Or at least, candidates now see the example of McCain picking Palin and realize that maybe that won't go over so well.

Then again, that's one recent example. It could easily go the other way, I suppose. Our country is full of built-in imperfections.

Presidents have picked VPs to help them get elected, not the best people for the job, going back for ages.

It's not great, but it's not the complete worst, either. I think you could argue that this appropriately constrains them in some meaningful ways. Or at least, candidates now see the example of McCain picking Palin and realize that maybe that won't go over so well.

Then again, that's one recent example. It could easily go the other way, I suppose. Our country is full of built-in imperfections.

Right. I think McCain was attempting to do what I'm saying Trump should do, but unfortunately he hadn't seen her do an interview yet and didn't realize how ignorant she was. I don't think he would've won with any other VP, though.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/donald-trump-vice-president-two/2016/07/13/id/738532/

After reading this, I think he will go wt Newt. Newt is a policy wonk and Trump says he would rather talk about policy. Of course Pense is a policy wonk also but I think less so than Newt in reputation.

Donald Trump said Wednesday that "in my own mind, I probably am thinking about two" candidates from which he will choose his Republican running mate.

"I'm narrowing it down," the presumptive nominee told Bret Baier on Fox News in an interview in Indianapolis. "I'm at three, potentially four."

He declined to name the contenders, however.

"I just want to pick somebody that's solid, who's smart," Trump said. "I'm not looking for an attack dog. (TG: I think this rules out Christi)

"Frankly, I'm looking for somebody that really understands what we're talking about.

"I would rather have the whole thing be on policy," Trump continued. "I've said that before. People think of me as an attacker, but I would rather be talking about policy."

Looking at the convention speaker list:

Flynn is speaking on Tuesday

Newt is listed as speaking on Thursday

the "nominee for VP" is speaking on Thursday

Christie and Pence are not listed as speakers

Oh, I didn't see that. Good catch. That may mean it is Pence in my thinking. Pence would have a 'calming' presence on the ticket. He may be the chose of the republican establishment and bring some closure to their distrust of Trump

Donald Trump said Wednesday that "in my own mind, I probably am thinking about two" candidates from which he will choose his Republican running mate.

He has five children. Interestingly two (Ivanka and Don Jr) meet the age requirement.

Just sayin'