Nebraska’s new post-eligibility opportunities (PEO) program

Nyatawa and McKewon talked briefly about this on their most recent podcast. Sam thinks the biggest impact this will help NU athletics will be with the women sports, because they rarely go on to play professionally in their sport. With the men sports, especially football, basketball, and baseball, so many of the recruits are thinking they have a shot at having a professional career after college. Yes, this program is cool and a great thing for UNL student-athletes, but don't expect this to be a huge difference maker in terms of recruiting for men's sports.

Nyatawa and McKewon talked briefly about this on their most recent podcast. Sam thinks the biggest impact this will help NU athletics will be with the women sports, because they rarely go on to play professionally in their sport. With the men sports, especially football, basketball, and baseball, so many of the recruits are thinking they have a shot at having a professional career after college. Yes, this program is cool and a great thing for UNL student-athletes, but don't expect this to be a huge difference maker in terms of recruiting for men's sports.

I understand Sam's point. But even in football I'd guess more than 90% don't go on to play pro ball.

I understand Sam's point. But even in football I'd guess more than 90% don't go on to play pro ball.

Agree with NUance. There are plenty of recruits that are smart enough to understand that they are not guaranteed a pro career, and should take advantage of a program like this. I would think this program would help recruit the forward-thinking ones.

Agree with NUance. There are plenty of recruits that are smart enough to understand that they are not guaranteed a pro career, and should take advantage of a program like this. I would think this program would help recruit the forward-thinking ones.

Yes, there are plenty of guys who realize that they won't make it in the NFL, but if you want the top guys they are going to be thinking they are going to be in the NFL in 3-4 years. Most 16-18 year old kids that are being recruited aren't going to be very forward-thinking.

I like the program. Playing big time sports leaves too little time for difficult majors. It would be nice to know that you could spend a couple of years after exhausting eligibility to get a more marketable degree. Not to mention that at age 22 you usually make much better decisions than at age 18.

Well, in terms of recruiting, or are we talking about in terms of the resources that will actually be available to the athletes who are here and don't turn pro? Those guys will be able to make use of this.

The recruiting staff was tweeting this pretty hard last week. Definitely using it as a recruiting tool.

Yes, there are plenty of guys who realize that they won't make it in the NFL, but if you want the top guys they are going to be thinking they are going to be in the NFL in 3-4 years. Most 16-18 year old kids that are being recruited aren't going to be very forward-thinking.

Agree to disagree. I would at least hope the recruits' parents would take notice of this. And you gotta recruit the parents just as hard as the recruits.