Lamar Jackson summer testing numbers

I know this may be incredibly difficult, but can we keep this conversation focused on the Jackson, the testing and what it means for his future?

Recruiting ranking arguments aren't really germane here.

Anyways, congrats to LJ. Of course, he's going to have get the mental side down, but testing out well in the measurables only helps you.

Also, don't forget, physical talent really is only part of the equation and shouldn't be used to make sweeping talent judgements. Some guys can use their wits/knowledge to make up for a lack of athleticism, whereas athletic freaks can sometimes make up for their mental mistakes.

Here's what I think it means...

We know Kalu showed he was a pretty good corner by the end of the year, but Chris Jones still showed inconsistency and got beat by some guys. I think what this means is there's a good chance we could see Jackson start opposite Kalu after the first few games if not before. To me our starting backfield is Gerry, A Williams, Kalu, Jackson... With Reed subbing in at safety and Jones subbing in at corner. That's a heck of a backfield if we stay healthy and don't lose some of those guys to injury.

Why haven't Anderson and Lee progressed quicker. I figured their talent would find the field sooner rather than later.

They both red-shirted last year. By most accounts, Lee was the #3 CB in spring ball. For some reason, Anderson started out at CB before moving back to his more natural S position where he was getting a lot of second team reps this spring.

I think they're progressing nicely.

I know this may be incredibly difficult, but can we keep this conversation focused on the Jackson, the testing and what it means for his future?

Recruiting ranking arguments aren't really germane here.

Anyways, congrats to LJ. Of course, he's going to have get the mental side down, but testing out well in the measurables only helps you.

Also, don't forget, physical talent really is only part of the equation and shouldn't be used to make sweeping talent judgements. Some guys can use their wits/knowledge to make up for a lack of athleticism, whereas athletic freaks can sometimes make up for their mental mistakes.

Here's what I think it means...

We know Kalu showed he was a pretty good corner by the end of the year, but Chris Jones still showed inconsistency and got beat by some guys. I think what this means is there's a good chance we could see Jackson start opposite Kalu after the first few games if not before. To me our starting backfield is Gerry, A Williams, Kalu, Jackson... With Reed subbing in at safety and Jones subbing in at corner. That's a heck of a backfield if we stay healthy and don't lose some of those guys to injury.

Why haven't Anderson and Lee progressed quicker. I figured their talent would find the field sooner rather than later.
Both are in the two deep as RSFr.
  • Fire 1

I already know how this is going to play out.

Someone makes a comment about not having much talent on the roster.

Someone instantly makes a comment that we have talent cause Bo won 9 games a year.

Someone will make a comment that Bo had decent talent cause of Callahan

Someone will chime in and say Cally was a sh#t recruiter and that Frank was better.

Someone will prove the previous guy wrong.

Then it turns into who had a better record and blah, blah, blah

This whole thing has been played out in many threads and it continually goes the same way every time.

Too true. If only there was a "Husker HC Recruiting Comparisons" thread that the mods could just jettison posts to when this tired argument comes up... ;)

So when Ahman Green came in and destroyed all of our testing records as a true freshman he was better than LP? Testing numbers are great but don't necessarily mean a player is going to be a stud on the field. Work ethic and intelligence are far more important.

Yeah Ahman Green was a total bust, and clearly lacked intelligence when compared to LP.

So when Ahman Green came in and destroyed all of our testing records as a true freshman he was better than LP? Testing numbers are great but don't necessarily mean a player is going to be a stud on the field. Work ethic and intelligence are far more important.

Yeah Ahman Green was a total bust, and clearly lacked intelligence when compared to LP.

But Ahman Green actually had a solid pro career and did some amazing things in college too. I wouldn't call him a total bust.

But Ahman Green actually had a solid pro career and did some amazing things in college too. I wouldn't call him a total bust.

Sorry that was me being snarky and sarcastic. Green set the single-season freshman rushing record and averaged 7.7 ypc. Had turf toe year 2 but came back as a junior and rushed for 1877 yards. My point being, he was good.

With regards to intelligence, LP made some poor life choices here and there (this is an intended understatement), whereas AG went on to have a pro career ranging from 1998-2011 and is now in movies and owns a team of some sort.

Sorry that was me being snarky and sarcastic. Green set the single-season freshman rushing record and averaged 7.7 ypc. Had turf toe year 2 but came back as a junior and rushed for 1877 yards. My point being, he was good.

With regards to intelligence, LP made some poor life choices here and there (this is an intended understatement), whereas AG went on to have a pro career ranging from 1998-2011 and is now in movies and owns a team of some sort.

sorry I should have added my sarcastic emoji. I was right there with ya! Ahman was a stud.

sorry I should have added my sarcastic emoji. I was right there with ya! Ahman was a stud.

Fell for my own trap :facepalm:

Weird example - AG had a pretty good career

Impressive, yes. But it's also evident of a pretty glaring talent upgrade that is taking place at multiple positions. Should probably actually be expected.

I know we want to believe things like "recruiting will solve all problems" and "get rid of cancers" but there's really not a lot of, if any, evidence that we are recruiting better across the board than NU has historically (under the last three coaches).

I just saw a stat that we are 8th in the B10 in recruiting this year. Personally, I don't care about rankings, but I am wondering why people automatically assume all these freshman and prospects are better than their upperclass counterparts.

Because right now that is all we have to go off of is their rankings. in two years we can talk about how their red-shirt freshman or sophomore went. If you can't we that we are in the top 3 or top 5 of talent that hasn't typically had us there then I guess I can see why you have the view that you do.

Impressive, yes. But it's also evident of a pretty glaring talent upgrade that is taking place at multiple positions. Should probably actually be expected.

I know we want to believe things like "recruiting will solve all problems" and "get rid of cancers" but there's really not a lot of, if any, evidence that we are recruiting better across the board than NU has historically (under the last three coaches).

I just saw a stat that we are 8th in the B10 in recruiting this year. Personally, I don't care about rankings, but I am wondering why people automatically assume all these freshman and prospects are better than their upperclass counterparts.

Because right now that is all we have to go off of is their rankings. in two years we can talk about how their red-shirt freshman or sophomore went. If you can't we that we are in the top 3 or top 5 of talent that hasn't typically had us there then I guess I can see why you have the view that you do.

I can't decipher what you're trying to say.

I can't decipher what you're trying to say.

Agree that wasn't explained the best. Was referring to the above bold.

To add to that there isn't a lot of evidence to support that "our recruiting has gotten better", however their is enough evidence to make it obvious that our recruiting has picked up.