Michigan, Notre Dame to Resume Rivalry

Mavric

So an up and coming Michigan team cancels a H and H with a Bret Bilema-led Arky team in order to play ND? WTF. I know UM-ND is a long series between money schools but the match ups the last 25 years have been mostly garbage but equally overhyped by the media. So I guess Michigan is going back to the days of MAC team 1, MAC team 2, ND in its nc schedule.

Sorry to be all ragey but B1G needs more marquee match-ups, particularly with SEC schools. Add this to the cancelled OSU-UT and OSU-UGa series.

Also, Iowa needs to step up its non-conf schedule. I get the ISU rivalry thing but let's try to do better.

Edited by Mavric
Merged threads
  • Fire 1

Sorry Arkansas just doesn't appeal to us or most of the college football watchers. If were doing sec home/away it should be either Bama, LSU or Georgia, playing the rest is kind of pointless, like a poor bowl match up. ND on the other hand, well yea, think Nebraska/Oklahoma opposed to say Nebraska/Texas Tech.

Sorry Arkansas just doesn't appeal to us or most of the college football watchers. If were doing sec home/away it should be either Bama, LSU or Georgia, playing the rest is kind of pointless, like a poor bowl match up. ND on the other hand, well yea, think Nebraska/Oklahoma opposed to say Nebraska/Texas Tech.

I agree ND is a better match than Arkansas, I am just saying it would have been nice to try and keep both. Michigan will probably pick up a MAC team for the third game now. The scheduling for ND and Arkansas would have worked for 2019. I bet Arkansas could have moved the 2018 date to accommodate, and picked up a scrub to play on September 1. I also like Michigan's future match ups with Washington, Texas, OU and UCLA. I hope none of them get replaced with ND. Just add ND where they can.

I agree ND is a better match than Arkansas, I am just saying it would have been nice to try and keep both. Michigan will probably pick up a MAC team for the third game now. The scheduling for ND and Arkansas would have worked for 2019. I bet Arkansas could have moved the 2018 date to accommodate, and picked up a scrub to play on September 1. I also like Michigan's future match ups with Washington, Texas, OU and UCLA. I hope none of them get replaced with ND. Just add ND where they can.

Yea, it would, one would think there was a reason to replace them rather then play a mac team, then again everyone plays 3 softer teams minimum at home, so it just might be a safer option to cut out an extra road game. Whatever the reason it was strong enough to be willing to pay Arkansas 2 million to cancel the games. The rest of the games will stick I think, as they did mention that this wont be a yearly thing. ND has their scheduling commitments as well, so maybe 2 in a row, then a couple years break in between current commitments. That Oklahoma game btw is in 2025 thats to far for me to process, thats like the flying car and killer robots everywhere era.

Learned a little history because of this. First off, I was surprised UM-ND have played just a whopping 42 times against each other. Thought it would have been more. And although most of the games have been between 1978 and 2014 sprinkled in with a few gaps here and there, but that Notre Dame's first football game was against Michigan in 1887.

Read that before they played, Michigan taught ND how to play the game before the actual game.

Furthermore, and really interesting, is that in 1909, ND beat Michigan for the first time, after losing in their first 8 meetings.

At that time, Notre Dame was coached by a former Michigan player (Frank Longman) and after the game, the Detroit Free Press headlined the ND victory with "Shorty' Longman's Fighting Irishmen Humble the Wolverines to Tune of 11-3". And went on to say "Eleven Fighting Irishman wrecked the Yost machine this afternoon..."

Meanwhile, a Michigan football historian wrote that the same writer of the Detroit Free Press had overheard a Notre Dame player pleading with his teammates at halftime, "What's the matter with you guys? You're all Irish and not fighting worth a lick"

Which thus prompted the nickname "Fighting Irish"

And......

quote-now-you-know-the-rest-of-the-story

Note: How accurate that is (about the Fighting Irish story) is up for discussion, but our Irish and Wolverine friends are more than welcome to correct it with what they know. This is what I read in wiki and thought it was pretty interesting.

• Fire 2

I agree with Sam M twofold on this issue

1) The B1G should stop scheduling ND because basically ND is the girl who has "friend zoned" the B1G, is engaged to the ACC, but the B1G still thinks that it has a shot to get her

2) NU should get out of the CU series in 18 and 19 and replace that with Arky. We are still locked in with CU in 23 and 24, so we don't need to be playing them 4 times in 7 years.

1) The B1G should stop scheduling ND because basically ND is the girl who has "friend zoned" the B1G, is engaged to the ACC, but the B1G still thinks that it has a shot to get her

2) NU should get out of the CU series in 18 and 19 and replace that with Arky. We are still locked in with CU in 23 and 24, so we don't need to be playing them 4 times in 7 years.

On number 2 - all western Nebraskans now hate you

What's your definition of Western Nebraska? Because you have to get pretty far west before Boulder is closer than Lincoln (Paxton is about the 1/2 way point).

What's your definition of Western Nebraska? Because you have to get pretty far west before Boulder is closer than Lincoln (Paxton is about the 1/2 way point).

That would be Western plus a ways east. But I don't know how many times I've been in Lincoln and had people ask me where I'm from and - when I reply "western Nebraska" - they ask "Kearney?" I always want to tell them "Well ... you're almost half way there."

But anyway, it's not just being closer to Boulder but also tickets would probably be easier to come by in Boulder than Lincoln.

West of Paxton??