Narcissistic Personality Disorder

I found this definition of a medical condition interesting - it's a very real thing, and one I think we're witnessing on a national level right now.

DSM-5 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder include these features:

• Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerating your achievements and talents
  • Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
  • Requiring constant admiration
  • Having a sense of entitlement
  • Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
  • Taking advantage of others to get what you want
  • Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Being envious of others and believing others envy you
  • Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner

Interesting find. In looking at all the bullets, I think it could apply to our current POTUS as well as the 2 major party candidates running right now.

You're dreaming.

Not sure how much I'm dreaming as it appears Obama as a narcissist is a commonly researched subject.

http://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2015/08/psychopathy_in_the_white_house.html

http://www.narcissistic-abuse.com/obama.html

You read those articles right? One is from a conservative blogger, the other is from a white collar criminal who seems to have a sociology degree and has written about NPD, but if you give him credibility, then you must also appreciate his views on Trump: http://beforeitsnews.com/politics/2016/03/donald-trump-narcissistic-personality-disorder-sam-vaknin-interview-expanded-2784621.html

At the bottom of the article there are links to a boat load of articles, many from reputable publications like Psychology Today that I'll not bother to post here but are worthy of a read, more so (imo) than a blogger's view (one who also has written stories called "Sexy Sports" and "Parking Among The Liberals").

• Fire 1

You read those articles right? One is from a conservative blogger, the other is from a white collar criminal who seems to have a sociology degree and has written about NPD, but if you give him credibility, then you must also appreciate his views on Trump: http://beforeitsnews.com/politics/2016/03/donald-trump-narcissistic-personality-disorder-sam-vaknin-interview-expanded-2784621.html

At the bottom of the article there are links to a boat load of articles, many from reputable publications like Psychology Today that I'll not bother to post here but are worthy of a read, more so (imo) than a blogger's view (one who also has written stories called "Sexy Sports" and "Parking Among The Liberals").

Well if you read them closely, one of the articles went through the specific of the bullets you referenced above and offered detailed examples of how Obama demonstrates those qualities. I'm not disputing that Trump is narcissistic, but I think that is the entire point you created this thread to make that insinuation. I'm just pointing out, as others have as well, that most politicians demonstrate these traits. Trump's ego is huge and he needs to reign it in, and I've been saying that for months.

If some if you are implying that Obama is not narcissistic, you're just plain wrong. Of course Trump is too, in a more obnoxious sort of way, but I think the word was invented for Obama. Hillary? *shrugs* A lot of other descriptors apply before narcissistic.

The thread is about NPD, which is very, very different. We also suffer from narcissism.

I guess you'll have to point me in the right direction. I feel narcissism IS a personality disorder. Now if you're talking about some deeper clinical definition, I guess I would have to be shown the difference.

Are you stating that Trump has NPD whereas Obama is merely narcissistic? Trump is a total buffoon for sure, but I don't really see where he is any more narcissistic than Obama. He may be louder and more obnoxious with it but they both meet the criteria and I'm not so sure that on this specific issue Obama isn't much worse.

I guess you'll have to point me in the right direction. I feel narcissism IS a personality disorder. Now if you're talking about some deeper clinical definition, I guess I would have to be shown the difference.

Are you stating that Trump has NPD whereas Obama is merely narcissistic? Trump is a total buffoon for sure, but I don't really see where he is any more narcissistic than Obama. He may be louder and more obnoxious with it but they both meet the criteria and I'm not so sure that on this specific issue Obama isn't much worse.

As far as the distinction between the two, there's a helpful link below. The main distinction, as I understand it, is that someone who is narcissistic can still be self-aware and cognizant of the fact that they suffer from narcissism. Someone with NPD is completely incapable of realizing that they are wrong, that they have a disorder, or that there are other legitimate beliefs to hold onto - if they are approached with any kind of information contrary to what they believe, especially about themselves, they see it as a genuine attack.

http://psychologia.co/malignant-narcissism/

As far as comparing Obama and Trump, watch the video I posted earlier in the thread and honestly ask yourself if you have ever seen, or if you can ever imagine, Trump having a moment like that. Same goes for you, bnilhome. Instead of linking some conservatively slanted websites that look like they were hosted on Geocities 15 years ago, just watch the video. Obama and Trump are miles apart. While Trump immediately gets nasty or takes opposition towards anyone who isn't on board with him, and has wonderfully given us golden sound bytes such as having never asked God for forgiveness as a supposed Christian, Obama has publicly shown more than a number of times things that he's regretted or wished he'd done better at during his presidency, as well as an appreciation for the people who have helped him along the way. He's no saint or the greatest President ever, but he's shown plenty of self-aware moments that are entirely lacking in Donald Trump.

• Fire 2

I don't think there's a chance in hell Obama has NPD. Nor do any other past presidents I can think of. There is clearly something wrong with Trump (above and beyond anyone else who has a big enough ego to run for president) based on the way he reacts to people, and there's evidence he holds grudges for decades. Anytime someone questions his history or policy ideas instead of answering the question he resorts to name calling. Obama doesn't react this way, Bush didn't, Clinton didn't, Bush didn't, Reagan didn't.

I truly think if he became president he'd try to have surveillance put on anyone who has ever slighted him including the person who first said his fingers are short. The fact I know someone made fun of his fingers is a testament to the problem he has.

• Fire 3

Oh. My.

Hell no it's not selfless. All presidents Executive order this and that to leave a legacy (whether good or bad), and whine and complain when they don't get their way. Thats the exact example of a selfish. Not selfless.

Selfless would be resigning from office when an approval rating drops below a certain point. How many have done that?

One of my favorite Presidents was Polk. He had 4 goals accomplished all of them in one term. Was very popular and would have easily won another term but stepped down.

Wikipedia

Polk initially hoped to be nominated for vice president

Polk set four clearly defined goals for his administration:

Pledged to serve only one term, he accomplished all these objectives in just four years.

As far as the distinction between the two, there's a helpful link below. The main distinction, as I understand it, is that someone who is narcissistic can still be self-aware and cognizant of the fact that they suffer from narcissism. Someone with NPD is completely incapable of realizing that they are wrong, that they have a disorder, or that there are other legitimate beliefs to hold onto - if they are approached with any kind of information contrary to what they believe, especially about themselves, they see it as a genuine attack.

As far as comparing Obama and Trump, watch the video I posted earlier in the thread and honestly ask yourself if you have ever seen, or if you can ever imagine, Trump having a moment like that. Same goes for you, bnilhome. Instead of linking some conservatively slanted websites that look like they were hosted on Geocities 15 years ago, just watch the video. Obama and Trump are miles apart. While Trump immediately gets nasty or takes opposition towards anyone who isn't on board with him, and has wonderfully given us golden sound bytes such as having never asked God for forgiveness as a supposed Christian, Obama has publicly shown more than a number of times things that he's regretted or wished he'd done better at during his presidency, as well as an appreciation for the people who have helped him along the way. He's no saint or the greatest President ever, but he's shown plenty of self-aware moments that are entirely lacking in Donald Trump.

For starters, Obama has been the President for several years, and Im sure hes had a couple of moments in which he's had to admit he was wrong, but that is extremely rare. I dont agree with him on many policies and have seen how he attacks anyone that disagrees with him. As for Trump, I have seen him admit he was wrong on more than one occasion. Go back and watch his interview with Megyn Kelly where they cleared the air and he admitted he went too far on a handful of topics. I also heard Trump say in his RNC acceptance speech that he appreciates the support from evangelicals, and he then stated "frankly I'm not sure I deserve it."

I found this definition of a medical condition interesting - it's a very real thing, and one I think we're witnessing on a national level right now.

DSM-5 criteria for narcissistic personality disorder include these features:

• Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
  • Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
  • Exaggerating your achievements and talents
  • Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
  • Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
  • Requiring constant admiration
  • Having a sense of entitlement
  • Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
  • Taking advantage of others to get what you want
  • Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
  • Being envious of others and believing others envy you
  • Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner

Interesting find. In looking at all the bullets, I think it could apply to our current POTUS as well as the 2 major party candidates running right now.

That's a matter of opinion ...

You starting this thread including the comment you made is all a matter of opinion. The same as everyone claiming Obama isn't but Trump is...

All opinion.

You're right, we have never been shown DT being self aware like that. I'm not sure if he is capable of it or not....I have my doubts that he is. That is one of the main reason I would never vote for him. If it's not all just a facade to get elected, he would truly be dangerous. I still would claim that Obama is highly narcissistic and that it has affected his ability to effectively lead. The fact that one is likely worse than the other doesn't indicate to me that either is good. All it means is that lately our choices have been limited to sh#t sandwich, crap sandwich, and turd sandwich. I don't want any of them.

I still would claim that Obama is highly narcissistic and that it has affected his ability to effectively lead.

I think with time and hindsight you'll probably look back at Obama more favorably as being a pleasant, relatable and enjoyable President. Narcissistic? Of course. You don't become the most powerful leader in the country without thinking very highly of yourself. But as far as Presidents go, as someone who really has no party allegiances or particular leanings, he's been really enjoyable to watch the last 8 years imo. My old politics professor shared this on Facebook, which I enjoyed and can't find much disagreement with

Tonight's speech by Barack Obama reminded me of his best qualities and the fact he will leave office with unrealized potential. He is smart, articulate, genuine, he is deeply educated about the American character and the United States Constitution. Will he go down as a 'great' president, with those Mt, Rushmore types? Well, no, because the political time in which he lived won't let him; he is African-American in a time where there is still deeply sown prejudice; and, he led through a time where we are deeply divided on the basis of race, ethnicity, class, partisanship, etc...
Now, part of this is his fault; he really had no taste for coalition-building, partisan bleating, cajoling and bargaining; he liked big ideas, and that is not something that prevails in the current climate of Washington. He was intellectual and aloof.
But, bear in mind what he inherited-- economic free fall, unpopular foreign wars, scathing, unrelenting, irrational, and often racist opposition--how did LBJ, Bush 1 or 2, Nixon, Carter, even Reagan handle that? Iran-contra makes Benghazi look like a flea-biting in comparison, this is a man who left office free of the scandals all too common to 8 year presidencies (ahem, Wild Bill). LBJ and Nixon didn't do well with inherited wars or personal criticism.
He is floating out of office with approval ratings as high as they have ever been; economic security, and a handle on international threats; our biggest problem is the blight of our urban centers and gun violence, but anytime he tried to engage the nation on that, he was 'race-baiting' (how do you do that when your 'race' was illogically and inhumanely enslaved and oppressed with government sanction for ... 300+ years?).
So, I don't know what I'm saying anymore, but I will miss the guy, his wit, sincerity, and intelligence -- and oh yeah, he's a con law prof.
For all you haters out there, so sorry, he will be a top tier president in the eyes of history, given the political and social terrain and the condition of the country upon his departure from office...
  • Fire 1

I suppose a 49% approval rating is about the best we could hope for in these deeply divided partisan times. If you're in the half that approve, I guess it looks like he's done a good job. If you're in the other half like me.....the best I can do is give him credit for not being as bad as I anticipated. Considering what we're likely to have for the next 4 or 8 years, my opinion of him likely will improve down the road.