Black Lives Matter Coalition Makes Demands as Campaign Heats Up.

Capitol punishment may be meaningful as our national moral position on crime and criminals, but we can't pretend it's a deterrent.

Does anyone believe that someone considering murder thinks to himself: "if I'm caught, I'll only get life in prison. Thank God they abolished the death penalty."

Weirdly enough, it's often more expensive to the state (and taxpayers) to execute a prisoner rather than to keep him in prison for life.

That and the fact that we occasionally execute innocent people makes me think the DP isn't a great or obvious solution.

Or to look at it another way, if the same number of innocent people (primarily black) executed by the state were to die of E-coli from tainted hamburger meat, there would likely be greater outrage.

There actually is evidence that criminal don't choose to kill witnesses because of death penalty implications.

But I generally don't believe in the death penalty. though more than a few people deserve it.

huskerfan2000, let's take this one step at a time, shall we? Since you completely and disappointingly can't seem to grasp the big picture when anyone types out more than 2-3 lines.

Let's start here. Who was responsible for the eradication and genocide of Native Americans as America was founded and moved westward?

huskerfan2000, let's take this one step at a time, shall we? Since you completely and disappointingly can't seem to grasp the big picture when anyone types out more than 2-3 lines.

Let's start here. Who was responsible for the eradication and genocide of Native Americans as America was founded and moved westward?

lol, your selective understanding of the history of Indians and American in general is not that surprising in the least.

You do realize Indians attack each other, and eradicated the less powerful tribes, right? I guess not, it was all those evil white people!

Disease.
  • Fire 1

...........Shawn Watson?

• Fire 1

Disease.

Disease wiped out a lot of them, but not all of them, and not with conscious volition.

lol, your selective understanding of the history of Indians and American in general is not that surprising in the least.

You do realize Indians attack each other, and eradicated the less powerful tribes, right? I guess not, it was all those evil white people!

Let's try again.

Whites killed tens of hundreds of thousands of Native Americans while also stealing land in the colonization and westward expansion of America.

True or false?

The Crow and the Sioux hated each other so much that they refused to team up to stop the white man about to eradicate their entire lifestyle. The u.s military actively exploited these kind of tribal rivalries.

But the white man was responsible for the genocide of the native American population.

Why do you keep assuming a less savory victim excuses any action of the perpetrator?

• Fire 2

You can't dismiss the serious racial realities in the country based on the most inflammatory statements some members of BLM want to make.

Anymore than you can say the nasty racists at Donald Trump rallies speak for the Republican Party. Or white people in general.

Lot of straw dogs out there.

But I'm not dismissing any racial realities......I'm simply stating what the BLM websitell says are their priorities and goals. For the life of me I can't figure out what they are trying to accomplish based 9n what they say want to do. It looks more to me like their primary goal is to make sure no black people get arrested for anything, even if they are guilty. It doesn't make sense to me.

You can't dismiss the serious racial realities in the country based on the most inflammatory statements some members of BLM want to make.

Anymore than you can say the nasty racists at Donald Trump rallies speak for the Republican Party. Or white people in general.

Lot of straw dogs out there.

But I'm not dismissing any racial realities......I'm simply stating what the BLM websitell says are their priorities and goals. For the life of me I can't figure out what they are trying to accomplish based 9n what they say want to do. It looks more to me like their primary goal is to make sure no black people get arrested for anything, even if they are guilty. It doesn't make sense to me.

Like, for example, being against body cams. I don't pretend to understand the BLM movement entirely but this just seems to be entirely against what their movement is trying to accomplish.

Let's not pretend for a second that the website with BLM's demands represents Black America.

Black America wants a few things:

They want jobs.

They want their kids to be safe.

They want food on the table.

They want an even playing field in life.

That kinda sounds exactly like what I want out of life. What I think "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" means.

Don't get distracted by some fringe group. BLM doesn't represent all of Black America any more than Westboro represents all of Christian America.

This is really obvious stuff. Why people have trouble understanding this is beyond me.

• Fire 2

Let's not pretend for a second that the website with BLM's demands represents Black America.Black America wants a few things:They want jobs.They want their kids to be safe.They want food on the table.They want an even playing field in life.That kinda sounds exactly like what I want out of life. What I think "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" means.Don't get distracted by some fringe group. BLM doesn't represent all of Black America any more than Westboro represents all of Christian America.This is really obvious stuff. Why people have trouble understanding this is beyond me.

I absolutely agree with this. But there are more than a few hereabouts that have been rather vocal about BLM just wanting what is best for black Americans. I understand and have been making the argument that they are acting counter to what is in the best interest of blacks. Quite a few of us get it but there are a couple who seem to be ignoring what BLM is really striving for and maybe another one who seemingly bailed on the discussion, apparently because the truth was getting inconvenient. Sorry, I have just been attempting to get some acknowledgement from those people that BLM isn't quite what they have been claiming it is. Maybe I'm wasting my time.

• Fire 1

BLM is a lot less fringe than Westboro, respectively. By a landslide, really.

JJ, I don't claim to know the ins and outs of what they as an official organization stand for, are working towards, and why. Obviously, I'm not a part of that. All I can really speak towards, and still only barely, cautiously, and with deference to my black friends, is the general struggles and fight that they all go through, usually represented pretty well by #BLM as a grassroots idea moreso than specifically by the organization leaders.

• Fire 1

The Crow and the Sioux hated each other so much that they refused to team up to stop the white man about to eradicate their entire lifestyle. The u.s military actively exploited these kind of tribal rivalries.

But the white man was responsible for the genocide of the native American population.

Why do you keep assuming a less savory victim excuses any action of the perpetrator?

I am not excusing anything, I am saying the white man was not the evil people history is trying to make them out to be (there is still some truth on how things played out still available, instead of this new concocted history of the evil white man wiping out all the Indians).

I am also saying that the depiction of the Indians today couldn't be farther from the truth. They attack each other and wiped out other tribes without any help from the white man.

Some black guy must have stolen huskerfan2000's girl or something. Some real denial there about what's really going on in our country.

What is really going on in this country? I see a country (government) that can not, and will not, let racism die. They continually stoke the flames, to ensure racial tension is alive and well.

but please, tell me what is really going on!