What Kind of Offense Are We Really Trying to Run?

https://twitter.com/swmckewonOWH/status/769200637267484672

What "cautionary tale" of early enrollees is Sam talking about? Am I forgetting a history of early enrollees busting at Nebraska?

Curt Dukes? That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. So... Not many

Mary Tyler Moore would be another

But Moore actually played a whole season. Dukes was here for a whole redshirted season as well. Grim's been here not even 8 months. I'm with you guys though. Trying to figure out Sams angle here. Maybe he's talking about the concept of early enrollees in general and the possible going-wrongs that come with it?

Yeah, I have no idea what being an early enrollee has to do with it. Other than being around for a few more practices than guys that show up in June.

There is one interesting dynamic that was brought up on radio today. About being an early enrollee and "fitting in" from a social standpoint because you pretty much come in alone. Youre not really with the class ahead of you and youre not really with the class coming, even though technically you are. these are things that play a factor in a kids mind and heart the differentiates real life from the robots of a video game. Theres a lot more too it than just not being happy with scheme or playing time.

• Fire 2

So Riley is telling the media that he thinks we should be primarily a running team but he - or his staff - are telling recruits that we're going four-wide and throw it around.

So either Riley and his staff aren't on the same page or he just likes telling the media what he thinks people want to hear.

Really? These are the only 2 reasons? Riley either doesn't have control of what his coaches are saying or he's a liar?

• Fire 2

The future of this team is clearly throwing the football. One doesn't have to be a recruiting genius to figure that out.

Riley has one more year of playing out the seniors recruited for a different style of offense, and after that it's going to be a heavy passing attack with pro-style QBs. Grim just had to wait out his Freshman year - like almost everyone - and he'd have been in the system he likes.

The future of the team is clearly throwing the football well. We have been bringing in great receiver's for sometime now. We are also recruiting some damn good running backs. I don't see that as a pass heavy attack or the system Riley likes. He has a track record of running the ball as much as throwing it. I think your tea leaves are a bit crumbled. My tea leaves see Nebraska as a 55/45 running team. Cav is clearly molding our linemen and the recruits he wants for a strong running game.

The target is 50/50. As is with any coach. That's ideal, esp if you have consistent talent accross the board to do either. But what changes is matchups, personnell, situations, and so on, from week to week, season to season.. So this ratio can vary. Like you said, you see it as probably being 55-45 run. but in one week it could be like a 75-25 pass, then back to a 60-40 run the next week. It's an ever changing number. Lot of times i just dont think that "run the damn ball" guy gets that. And as of right now, Nebraska certainly isnt in a position to just impose their will and do what we do.

I don't disagree, I was talking over the season average.

So Riley is telling the media that he thinks we should be primarily a running team but he - or his staff - are telling recruits that we're going four-wide and throw it around.

So either Riley and his staff aren't on the same page or he just likes telling the media what he thinks people want to hear.

Really? These are the only 2 reasons? Riley either doesn't have control of what his coaches are saying or he's a liar?

Yeah, it is "lying" but it is not like a super lie...its like when you see people at work and they ask how you are doing and you say "fine, thanks" even though you might not be fine.

Riley is totally going to say some things to the media that are different from what he tells his staff that are different from what he tells some of his players.

It is not really a huge deal. It

I wouldn't necessarily call it lying.

I'm sure there are other options. Those seem to be the most likely. What other options would you like to propose?

Maybe it's both. We run it more this year with tommy under center, next year we open it up with our new shiny passing qbs. Isn't that what most people are hoping happens? Maybe it is.

Hell no!!! that is a recipe for more mediocrity.

The future of this team is clearly throwing the football. One doesn't have to be a recruiting genius to figure that out.

Riley has one more year of playing out the seniors recruited for a different style of offense, and after that it's going to be a heavy passing attack with pro-style QBs. Grim just had to wait out his Freshman year - like almost everyone - and he'd have been in the system he likes.

Prepare for armageddon.

I'm sure there are other options. Those seem to be the most likely. What other options would you like to propose?

That with regards to the team this year, we SHOULD be a primarily running team. Especially with who is at QB. I see nothing disingenuous about that viewpoint.

For recruits, he's planning for the future. So if 4WR is the direction he wants to go, then that's what you sell post 2016 season. Nothing disingenuous about this either.

Here's one: Riley (and staff) had a change of heart about the future direction of the offense during the last part of the season and the winter. He said as much before and after the bowl game. Whether its the running backs, WR's or QB, I think his committment to running the ball was a real thing. Obviously you can still run the ball AND have a great pro-style QB, and great WR's

There is a difference between a coach telling a recruit that we will be using 4 wide sets in are game plan and going completely Mike Leach with the approach. NU will use 4 wide sets. Always have even before MR got to Lincoln. Grim may have gotten the impression that 4 wide was going to be the base set, which not that many teams really run all the time. I would be surprised if Williams or an any other coach on the staff is telling recruits that NU will be going 4 wide and throwing it 50+ times a game in the future.

Sometimes kids don't listen and only hear what they want to hear.

• Fire 3

fwiw: Mike Riley actually has a history of running the ball when he has a good running back.

Mike Riley has a history of doing whatever needs to be done to make his perennially outmatched team competitive. Now hes trying to do that with a team that isnt so outmatched as often.

And these adjustments arent necessarily permanent. they can change from week to week, season to season.

• Fire 3

That with regards to the team this year, we SHOULD be a primarily running team. Especially with who is at QB. I see nothing disingenuous about that viewpoint.

For recruits, he's planning for the future. So if 4WR is the direction he wants to go, then that's what you sell post 2016 season. Nothing disingenuous about this either.

So when Riley said he thinks we need to be a Top 3 rushing team to compete for B1G titles, is that only for this year?