What Kind of Offense Are We Really Trying to Run?

I'm not sure about run/pass split, but I do know that Riley's/Langsdorf's offenses at OSU were very productive through the air. The Beavers were usually top-25 and often top-10 in passing yards.

Blitz, nice data! I hope you weren't referring to my post, though. My assertion is correct in that the passing offense was very productive. In the 12 years from 03-14, they were top 30 ten times, and top ten four times.

I'm not arguing the same point you are, though. I'm not sure anyone made the claim that we are going to be the air raid. Would it be correct to call that a straw man?

I agree that Nebraska was a bit pass-happy last year.

But do you know who was even more pass happy? Virtually every team we played.

10 of our 13 opponents threw the ball more often in the game than we did.

9 of our opponents had 40+ attempts against Nebraska. MSU came in just under at 39.

Rushing powerhouse Wisconsin had 50 pass attempts against Nebraska in a winning effort.

In that same horrible windy day at Illinois, the Illini actually out-passed Nebraska 45 attempts to 31.

Conservative Minnesota out-pased Nebraska 40 attempts to our 26.

But honestly, this doesn't tell us as much about our offense — or any winning ratio — as it does about the weak link in our defense. You don't have to be a pass-happy team to exploit a vulnerable pass defense.

• Fire 1

I think I read more into the fact that the departing WR was referred to by both his father and another Husker WR as kind of a "weird kid" than what his indicating that he "didn't fit" into the offense means.

I would also note that there has been a TE in each recruiting class (including commits for 2017) and they offered a FB. When did that happen last? I suspect that they want to throw it and run it about 50/50. They want to be more efficient with the running game and hence be in the top 3 in the conference, but they want to be more efficient in the passing game as well with a higher completion rate and a higher TD to INT ratio. Not too surprising, really.

Just goes to show you how much coaches out think themselves Guy. One of Osbornes greatest attributes was that he would keep calling the same plays until the opposing teams could stop it. So many coaches these days think they need to take their shot And trick their opponents . Always drove me nuts about Beck. Gain 30 or 40 yards handing the ball off to Ameer then throw to the end zone. Settle for punt or field goal.

Just goes to show you how much coaches out think themselves Guy. One of Osbornes greatest attributes was that he would keep calling the same plays until the opposing teams could stop it. So many coaches these days think they need to take their shot And trick their opponents . Always drove me nuts about Beck. Gain 30 or 40 yards handing the ball off to Ameer then throw to the end zone. Settle for punt or field goal.

Yeah, that's not a very accurate depiction of either Osborne or Beck.

Tom Osborne was actually very innovative with a broad assortment of offensive weapons. That's why Devaney promoted him, wanting to get away from the more predictable run first offense. Ten seasons later when Osborne adapted the Wishbone offense to his own devices, it came with a lot of different looks and sets and indeed "options" that he mixed up to keep defenses off balance. When Nebraska ran the ball 65 times a game, it was hardly the same play over and over. The suggestion that the Huskers simply pounded the ball at will doesn't respect the actual sophistication and difficulty of running Tom's offense. Osborne often passed the ball more frequently against better opponents, and was actually the master of the trick play.

We seem to have different and selective memories of Tim Beck's offense. If you think we could or should have just kept handing the ball to Ameer Abdullah, there are plenty of games where that was attempted and defenses made the proper adjustment.

• Fire 1

Where did I say that Osborne lined up in the same formation? My point was that if he found something that worked he kept running it. Today's coaches are so concerned with being balanced that I think they throw the ball because they think they have or need to.

So when you say "he would keep calling the same plays until the opposing teams could stop it" you simply mean he continued to run the ball instead of passing it. Because a fullback counter, a short side sweep and a triple option are very different plays.

Although of course Tom Osborne always spread a few passes throughout the game to keep defenses honest. Probably more passes than some choose to remember.

I honestly don't know why some people think the forward pass is some kind of gadget play. It's just as much a part of football as anything.

I don't dislike the forward pass guy. Just think it's over used. Do you not agree that Osborne was very good at not out thinking himself? It's one of the most basic rules of football. If our opponent can stop a play or series of plays you keep running them.

Osborne didn't just run the same plays until his opponents could stop them. He disguised the fact that he was running the same plays by running them out of different formations and sets. And his offense wasn't simple, it was pretty detailed, people forget that and act like he just ran the ball mindlessly all the time. Heck, there were games Osborne lost because his teams were too one dimensional. Florida St. stacking the box in the 1990 Fiesta Bowl comes to mind. We lost that game 41-10 and imo it was largely due to an inability to run against the stacked box. A credible passing game would have forced FSU to stay honest on defense.

Is a 21 pitch out of different formations still a 21 pitch? Not sure why you guys are trying to infer that I think Osborne wasn't a innovator? I think he was a genius. And again I'm not against the forward pass. I'm actually a fan when it's used properly. But it's my opinion that coaches today are always trying to outsmart the other team and end up leaving points on the field.