Depth Chart for Fresno State

knapplc

Since we are comparing talent between this years team and the 97 team. Does anybody else think that Armstrong would have been a all American caliber player in that offense? My vote is yes.

He is clearly far better suited to that kind of offense than to Langsdorf's/Riley's preferred offense. I think we're going to see growth from Tommy as well as Riley/Langs this year, as Tommy will strive to be more the pocket QB they're looking for when the situation arises, and Riley/Langs will look to run Tommy more because that's more within his skill set.

The key to this season, aside from how well both lines play, is how they use Tommy. If they get infatuated with these wide receivers we have and throw too much, we'll see more Bad Tommy.

Since we are comparing talent between this years team and the 97 team. Does anybody else think that Armstrong would have been a all American caliber player in that offense? My vote is yes.

He is clearly far better suited to that kind of offense than to Langsdorf's/Riley's preferred offense. I think we're going to see growth from Tommy as well as Riley/Langs this year, as Tommy will strive to be more the pocket QB they're looking for when the situation arises, and Riley/Langs will look to run Tommy more because that's more within his skill set.

The key to this season, aside from how well both lines play, is how they use Tommy. If they get infatuated with these wide receivers we have and throw too much, we'll see more Bad Tommy.

I have a feeling we'll see at 1-2 games this season where TA will throw 35-40+ times and that those games will be losses.

Some of what I will be watching for early in season:

Can the OL dominate these first two games. If the OL is good I think we have skill players to make for a fun offense. If OL struggles, probably much of what we have seen last year.

Want to see DPE make big plays. Want to see how we get multiple backs and receivers touches.

Young at Will...I think he needs a big year.

Cornerbacks...better play overall. Not sure who can emerge here. Looking for someone to go to next level.

DE's...I think both can have really good years. Sack/pressure production must increase to get us to next level.

• Fire 1

I think we will see tomorrow that Nebraska is a much better, more talented team than Fresno. We will win big. But, the pundits and commentators will dismiss the accomplishment because Fresno is terrible (not that Nebraska is better). Same goes for Wyoming. If we manage to defeat the Ducks, then the story will be Oregon has really slipped. We will get a little credit but once again they bottom line will discredit the opponent primarily.

I believe the team is getting better and this year's team will be better than last year's team, considerably. We will be better on offense and defense and in special teams (assuming our new punter is pretty decent). We will return more punts and do better on kick off returns. Coverage has a chance to be marginally better. Defense will be faster/quicker and better in stopping down field plays, but I am concerned we may not be as stingy against the straight ahead run plays.

I will credit both the depth chart and the time the coaches have now had to instill their systems and plans and get the guys 'on board'. We will, as Riley likes to say, play something that 'looks a lot like football!"