Scheduling

ScottyIce

The more I look at it the more I hate our schedule this year, but not for what was brought up in the OP.

What I hate is if we beat Oregon there's a good chance we'll be 7-0 going into the tough stretch. That isn't really a complaint, and obviously it's what everyone wants, but we're all going to be excited and our hearts are going to be in it thinking there's a chance this is a great season and then we could easily lose to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa. It would be nice if we played one of the 3 early in the season.

Don't get me wrong though, I think we'll win at least 1 and maybe 2 of them and I don't think we'll get blown out.

The Big Ten makes the conference schedule so we have no control over when we play those games.

I know...

The more I look at it the more I hate our schedule this year, but not for what was brought up in the OP.

What I hate is if we beat Oregon there's a good chance we'll be 7-0 going into the tough stretch. That isn't really a complaint, and obviously it's what everyone wants, but we're all going to be excited and our hearts are going to be in it thinking there's a chance this is a great season and then we could easily lose to Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Iowa. It would be nice if we played one of the 3 early in the season.

Don't get me wrong though, I think we'll win at least 1 and maybe 2 of them and I don't think we'll get blown out.

My bigger problem with how the conference set up the schedule is that we play all three of those on the road.

It stinks for the team and as a fan, our home conference schedule sucks.

• Fire 1

The Big Ten makes the conference schedule so we have no control over when we play those games.

I know...

Do you?

My bigger problem with how the conference set up the schedule is that we play all three of those on the road.

It seems like this is the issue every year since joining B1G. We end up with one year of awesome home slate, next is horrible...

It seems like this is the issue every year since joining B1G. We end up with one year of awesome home slate, next is horrible...

Yeah, I agree that it stinks, but it's just one of the issues with large conferences and the difficulties of working through the teams in the opposite division.

EDIT--Although the conference should have done a better job with the schedules for Iowa, NU, and Wisky for the West Division. Looking at things historically, those are top 3 teams in the West. Those teams should play 1 on the road and 1 at home each year, but Iowa gets both at home this year, while NU has both on the road this year.

I know...

Do you?

Yes. I still know. Being annoyed at the schedule doesn't mean I'm lobbying to change it. I'm just thinking of a couple recent years when we had a good record and then things went to hell.

Yeah, I agree that it stinks, but it's just one of the issues with large conferences and the difficulties of working through the teams in the opposite division.

EDIT--Although the conference should have done a better job with the schedules for Iowa, NU, and Wisky for the West Division. Looking at things historically, those are top 3 teams in the West. Those teams should play 1 on the road and 1 at home each year, but Iowa gets both at home this year, while NU has both on the road this year.

Conference scheduling isn't that hard for 12-14 teams. It seems like MU, tOSU, maybe PSU have a good home/away balance against the top conference teams. Everyone else, especially the West Division, are afterthoughts.

Revised ideal schedule:

Week 1- Iowa State

Week 2- @ Northwestern (Early conference division test to see where we stack up)

Week 3- Notre Dame (Big name OOC Opponent)

Week 4- @ Minnesota

Week 5- Wisconsin

Week 6- Purdue

Week 7- @ Michigan State

Week 8- BYE

Week 9- Penn State (REALLY wish we kept them as a permanent cross over)

Week 10- @ Illinois

Week 11- San Jose State (Any Mountain West or MAC team will do)

Week 12- Michigan

Week 13- @ Iowa

I keep seeing a lot of people, even outside of Huskerboard, critiquing Oregon's place on the schedule and substituting a bigger name opponent.

I implore everyone to keep in mind that it was only two years when Oregon had a Heisman winning quarterback and looked like a GREAT out of conference game. They were a Top 10 team.

Any time you schedule a big name OOC opponent, you run the risk that the team will not be very good by the time you play.

• Fire 1

I keep seeing a lot of people, even outside of Huskerboard, critiquing Oregon's place on our schedule and wishing for a bigger name opponent.

I implore everyone to keep in mind that it was only two years when Oregon had a Heisman winning quarterback and looked like a GREAT out of conference game. They were a Top 10 team.

Any time you schedule a big name OOC opponent, you run the risk that the team will not be very good by the time you play.

Maybe I'm misreading posts. But, I'm not seeing people complaining about Oregon not being good enough to be on our schedule.

If so....that's pretty presumptuous when we haven't won against a ranked OOC opponent since 2001. Let's beat one before we start saying they aren't good enough for our schedule.