Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

...I don't know about you, but I love the country I live in, and I find the anthem very sacred as well. Disrespecting it is wrong, protesting or not, much like the Grace metaphor I made up.

But you can love something and still disagree with it. Vehemently, even.

Parents love their children, but arguing with your parents is almost a rite of passage amongst teens. It's so common as to be a trope on nearly every sitcom & teen movie ever made.

Spouses love each other, but fights in marriage are as common as grains of sand on the seashore. Spouses argue vehemently about important and trivial things, make up & move on with life.

Love is a wonderful thing, but love doesn't mean never disagreeing, or always seeing eye to eye. You can love something and be mad at it. You can love something and be wounded by it.

Let's not pretend that love of country supersedes every other situation. There are times when country doesn't meet the legitimate expectations of our love. In those times, we're justified to demand better. We can even be angry.

• Fire 4

...I don't know about you, but I love the country I live in, and I find the anthem very sacred as well. Disrespecting it is wrong, protesting or not, much like the Grace metaphor I made up.

Parents love their children, but arguing with your parents is almost a rite of passage amongst teens. It's so common as to be a trope on nearly every sitcom & teen movie ever made.

Spouses love each other, but fights in marriage are as common as grains of sand on the seashore. Spouses argue vehemently about important and trivial things, make up & move on with life.

Love is a wonderful thing, but love doesn't mean never disagreeing, or always seeing eye to eye. You can love something and be mad at it. You can love something and be wounded by it.

Let's not pretend that love of country supersedes every other situation. There are times when country doesn't meet the legitimate expectations of our love. In those times, we're justified to demand better. We can even be angry.

So does a good parent occasionally say "I disagree with you, I'm not going to do this parenting thing today"

"I don't agree, I'm not going to do this American thing today"

• Fire 1

So does a good parent occasionally say "I disagree with you, I'm not going to do this parenting thing today"

"I don't agree, I'm not going to do this American thing today"

You know America was founded on a protest, right? I don't think you're saying what you think you're saying here.

• Fire 1

I'm assuming Adam Carriker draped himself in the Stars and Stripes in an attempt to lend an "Agree With Me Or You're Not American" credibility to his anti-protest rant.

How American of him.

I made it about 3 minutes into that video.

I think Adam is a good guy, but I just couldn't listen anymore.

• Fire 5

Everyone knows that that the first amendment, just like the second amendment, only protects you from infringment by the govt, right? Just as businesses can enforce gun free zones; the San Francisco 49ers could cut CK, I could be fired from my job for burning the flag, even if it is on my own time, and Mike Riley could have suspended the thee players involved in the National Anthem protests. (The last example may be a little tenuous since UNL is a public university).

To be clear, I don't think those things should happen, I'm just saying that I don't think the the constitution prevents them from happening.

Can they fire you if you are not violating any team or employee rules? The protest does not effect how these players do their job so what would be the reason for being cut? You can't just get get rid of someone because you disagree with them. It has to effect their job performance or violate a team rule.

Even if they could release a player, by doing so shows that you don't support their beliefs. Good luck recruiting other black players if Riley or the university disciplined these players. How do you think the other black players in the league would react if the NFL disciplined CK? Black players are the majority in the NFL and it would be a horrible idea if they decide not to support their players. But yes, those amendments protect you from legal persecution, but you could still lose your job.

In the attempt to appear patriotic there are so many violations of the Flag code technically showing disrespect. Surprisingly, the flag is not supposed to be displayed flat or horizontal, as it was during the national anthem in Evanston.

Unintentional disrespect for the flag happens all of the time in about 20 different ways.

So it happens so often that we should say f**k it when it intentional?