Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

"Complaining without offering solutions is just whining." -Teddy Roosevelt

We applied for home loans, and didn't get them. Our skin color didn't seem to matter. I've been given nothing extra or special because of my lack of melanin, and I grew up entirely in poverty.

What are the solutions to these problems that MRI and co. are protesting? What will it take for them to stand during the National Anthem?

There's other ways to bring to everyone's attention your cause.

I lost a cousin in Iraq, my grandfather was wounded fighting the Nazi's in Europe and would live the rest of his life in constant pain, for that flag, for this "oppressive" nation.

The anthem is a moment to respect and remember the fallen, a time to say thank you,a time to be humbled, before we enjoy a game or entertainment.

I don't want to see these kids kicked off the team, but i've lost all respect for them. You don't get respect for your cause by being disrespectful. And that is why their argument falls on deaf ears.

We applied for home loans, and didn't get them. Our skin color didn't seem to matter. I've been given nothing extra or special because of my lack of melanin, and I grew up entirely in poverty.

What are the solutions to these problems that MRI and co. are protesting? What will it take for them to stand during the National Anthem?

Good point. And now they basically have to keep doing it until they get what they want right?

Would it be okay for a player to burn a flag right before kickoff?

Yes, it would. Provided the player followed the law and got the permits from the city of Lincoln and the school and whoever else might be required to issue a permit. In fact, it would be admirable. That flag is an ever-changing piece of CLOTH that holds no meaning except what people attach to it. I am a native american, a member of an Indian Tribe, the Rosebud Sioux of South Dakota. That flag is a symbol of repression and conquest, of ill deeds and immoral behavior, murder of children and elders. That flag represents the unwelcome conquest of nations and tribes from the East Coast to Hawaii.

You stand there in your 'sacred ground' of worship for the US Government and tell me I am wrong. My people live on a reservation in South Dakota and are faced with 90% alcoholism, universal poverty, an unemployment rate of 80% and an average life span of 48. You tell me, you stupid son of a bitch. Is that flag sacred? It killed millions, and the survivors of that massacre in the 1800s and 1900s are still among you. How sacred is that damn piece of cloth? Go to Whiteclay Nebraska and plead your sorry-ass case to a bunch of drunk Indians who hate you.

I fought for that damn flag. And I tell you. it is worth the white blood spilled in its name. But it takes no consideration for MY people or the other races that died to preserve the rights you have. We are many and we are invisible. Our contribution has been, will be forgotten.

• Fire 5

Yes, it would. Provided the player followed the law and got the permits from the city of Lincoln and the school and whoever else might be required to issue a permit. In fact, it would be admirable. That flag is an ever-changing piece of CLOTH that holds no meaning except what people attach to it. I am a native american, a member of an Indian Tribe, the Rosebud Sioux of South Dakota. That flag is a symbol of repression and conquest, of ill deeds and immoral behavior, murder of children and elders. That flag represents the unwelcome conquest of nations and tribes from the East Coast to Hawaii.

You stand there in your 'sacred ground' of worship for the US Government and tell me I am wrong. My people live on a reservation in South Dakota and are faced with 90% alcoholism, universal poverty, an unemployment rate of 80% and an average life span of 48. You tell me, you stupid son of a bitch. Is that flag sacred? It killed millions, and the survivors of that massacre in the 1800s and 1900s are still among you. How sacred is that damn piece of cloth? Go to Whiteclay Nebraska and plead your sorry-ass case to a bunch of drunk Indians who hate you.

I fought for that damn flag. And I tell you. it is worth the white blood spilled in its name. But it takes no consideration for MY people or the other races that died to preserve the rights you have. We are many and we are invisible. Our contribution has been, will be forgotten.

Wow really?

And how did you find your way to huskerboard?

In the attempt to appear patriotic there are so many violations of the Flag code technically showing disrespect. Surprisingly, the flag is not supposed to be displayed flat or horizontal, as it was during the national anthem in Evanston.

Unintentional disrespect for the flag happens all of the time in about 20 different ways.

So it happens so often that we should say f**k it when it intentional?

When you know you are disrespecting the flag by any means as stated by the code, would you continue to do it? Will you be upset at your next 4th of July dinner if they use napkins with flags on them? Will you complain about Olympic swimmers that wear flag designs on their swim suits? Or will you ignore those issues because they aren't that big of a deal because it happens all of the time? Does not knowing you are disrespecting the flag make it OK? I really don't know how you feel about it.

The nazis would most likely have exterminated the remaining native population had the white devil not turned Omaha beach red with their blood to protect said native Americans.

Also, and maybe this is just my crazy coming out, but if I'm an alcoholic, blaming someone else for my excessive consumption of alcohol doesn't help much...

...I don't know about you, but I love the country I live in, and I find the anthem very sacred as well. Disrespecting it is wrong, protesting or not, much like the Grace metaphor I made up.

But you can love something and still disagree with it. Vehemently, even.

Parents love their children, but arguing with your parents is almost a rite of passage amongst teens. It's so common as to be a trope on nearly every sitcom & teen movie ever made.

Spouses love each other, but fights in marriage are as common as grains of sand on the seashore. Spouses argue vehemently about important and trivial things, make up & move on with life.

Love is a wonderful thing, but love doesn't mean never disagreeing, or always seeing eye to eye. You can love something and be mad at it. You can love something and be wounded by it.

Let's not pretend that love of country supersedes every other situation. There are times when country doesn't meet the legitimate expectations of our love. In those times, we're justified to demand better. We can even be angry.

So does a good parent occasionally say "I disagree with you, I'm not going to do this parenting thing today"

"I don't agree, I'm not going to do this American thing today"

A good parent listens to their children, and if I had a child who wanted to do something like this, I'd listen to the reasons why they wanted to do it. And if the reasons they gave me were as well thought out and passionate as those put forth as MRI, I'd probably join them.

• Fire 1

Wow really?

And how did you find your way to huskerboard?

I was born in Nebraska, Alliance way out west, in 1970. I grew up a fan of the football team and lived through racism from my earliest days. I had hoped, lately, that Nebraska had grown better than this. We will see.

• Fire 2

The nazis would most likely have exterminated the remaining native population had the white devil not turned Omaha beach red with their blood to protect said native Americans.

Also, and maybe this is just my crazy coming out, but if I'm an alcoholic, blaming someone else for my excessive consumption of alcohol doesn't help much...

Not your crazy, your ignorance.

Good point. And now they basically have to keep doing it until they get what they want right?

Ironically, I agree with this. That is, how will it end? The purpose is to 'open a dialogue'. What is the method?

So explain to my ignorant self why it's the American flag's fault that, as Flood put it, 90% of Native Americans struggle with alcoholism.

So explain to my ignorant self why it's the American flag's fault that, as Flood put it, 90% of Native Americans struggle with alcoholism.

No kidding. Flood's "argument" was so full of holes it wasn't even worth trying to spell out on a touch screen