Nebraska's Michael Rose-Ivey receives racial backlash for anthem protest

Let me throw something out there because I believe there is some missing elements with the Kneeling issue.

The meaning behind Black athletes kneeling might be lost to a large portion of the population, but I also believe some of the angst people are voicing in regards to kneeling being disrespectful, is also not cut and dry or motivated because everyone is racist.

As I stated a few times, when CK first kneeled, it pissed me off and if you go look at that thread, you will see others who also chimed in. However, it was not a racial anger, it was because of how I was raised, the military family mindset and the fact that I took it as a slam against what has been provided by the blood and guts of American soldiers.

I and my family have zero racial prejudices. I have African American friends, co-workers and my son took a beautiful young African American lady to prom years ago. Also, my cousin married an African American and they have 3 wonderful children who are just as much a part of our loving family as anyone else.

Yet, I still had the feeling that what CK did was improper and offensive.

It was not until MRI's speech, that I took an accounting of why I felt that way, while also trying to understand the message MRI was presenting. With a respectful, well versed and pointed set of words, MRI's comments hit home and I had to re-evaluate the stance I had previously taken and weigh each specifically and independently.

Had MRI not shared his message, I am fairly sure I would be sitting in the other camp, but for us, to refuse to acknowledged his words, his infatic denial that he is anti-police, anti-military or anti-country would be ignorance at its best. In other words, the act of kneeling by itself, caused me anguish and anger. After hearing his comments, the anger turned to acceptance and a little deeper clarity.

Some important factors to point out here:

When MRI and the other two athletes did this, they received flak based on the act alone. I am not condioning it, I am simply stating that by itself, even I was enraged. It wasn't racial anger, it was the respect issue. (I do not expect those who have no military pride to understand this, just as you can't or may not be able to understand what it's like to be a black American.)

There is no doubt, that some people stated things out of racial hatred, but I also would ask each of you who are saying that everyone who is against this type of display, to recognize, that the angst is not necesarily due to racial feelings.

I again want to state, I am not in favor of a sporting event being used to champion a political stance, but maybe if people who are doing such, would take note of MRI's speech, they can learn something from it.

That's a great post. I disagree with your stance of kneeling being disrespectful, but I understand where you're coming from.

Ron Brown's comments were also incredibly unfortunate.

RedDenver made a good point above: it's not the freeness of their speech, it's how it's used.

Hal Daub is right that the athletes have some responsibility to be representing UNL well. Through the sum of their actions, they have. And they're not out here promoting their personal politics. Their expression of solidarity resonates, clearly as we can see in this thread, across all political lines.

When Ron Brown said what he did, he created an explicitly hostile atmosphere to gay people at Nebraska. There have gay football players at Nebraska in the past, and there probably are now. It was extremely disappointing to see that coming from a man empowered as a coach and a leader at a university.

Ron Brown's comments were also incredibly unfortunate.

RedDenver made a good point above: it's not the freeness of their speech, it's how it's used.

Hal Daub is right that the athletes have some responsibility to be representing UNL well. Through the sum of their actions, they have. And they're not out here promoting their personal politics. Their expression of solidarity resonates, clearly as we can see in this thread, across all political lines.

When Ron Brown said what he did, he created an explicitly hostile atmosphere to gay people at Nebraska. There have gay football players at Nebraska in the past, and there probably are now. It was extremely disappointing to see that coming from a man empowered as a coach and a leader at a university.

Bingo to what is bolded...that is what started this debate...how the freedom of speech has been used via protesting the national anthem.

For those of you who don't believe that racism exists...or maybe that it isn't as widespread as people say it is...or that it is only a small part of society...please, read this because it had quite an impact on how I view things: https://www.facebook.com/kate.riffleroper/posts/1746348308987959

Read this. Comprehend it. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist or isn't an issue. Open your eyes. Understand that what MRI did is trying to get people to pay attention to the problem instead of claim it doesn't exist.

+1 thanks for sharing that. Impactful, indeed.

The national anthem is not a song paying respects to fallen soldiers. Can we dispense with that myth?

Of course it is not. I was not implying that, and I don't think anyone else was. It is, however, a symbol of our country, A country that people died to make the way that it is now.

Maybe the way we need to be thinking about these protests during the national anthem is the fact that all these people died for how this country is now. And...even though they died to allow everyone to have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, some people in this country feel those people died in vane because they are not experiencing that same freedom.

• Fire 2

The national anthem is not a song paying respects to fallen soldiers. Can we dispense with that myth?

Of course it is not. I was not implying that, and I don't think anyone else was. It is, however, a symbol of our country, A country that people died to make the way that it is now.

We sing the anthem while looking toward the flag that does represent everyone, but has a special place for our veterans. At sporting events soldiers are often brought out prior to singing the national anthem. On Veterans Day we use flags as a symbol to remember our fallen soldiers. So while the flag and anthem do represent all Americans, it does have special meaning for our veterans and military personnel.

I didn't say you were, but others are, in this thread. It's not NOT to pay respect to soldiers, both living & fallen, but that's not the sole purpose of the anthem.

But let's also not lose focus on the fact that the anthem is a symbol of freedom, not the actual freedom itself. The freedoms we have as Americans, that Rose-Ivey, Neal and Barry are exhibiting, are far more important than the symbol.

The way people are freaking out about the anthem while trampling these players' freedoms, you'd think they would love a picture of their wife more than their wife. It really doesn't make sense.

Students, faculty and staff-

As you know, the University of Nebraska has been in the spotlight over the last few days in regard to freedom of speech. This has been in response to a peaceful demonstration by three of our student athletes during the national anthem at the football game last Saturday.

NU President Bounds sent you an email earlier today expressing his unwavering support, and the University of Nebraska system’s principled support, of freedom of speech. We are proud and indeed fortunate to be engaged in the noble calling of higher education in the United States, and part of an organization that considers this freedom to be an indelible right.

I would add that the demonstration by our student-athletes represents the fact that we are an inclusive university; one that welcomes diverse views. The diversity in our thoughts and opinions is what leads to productive discourse. What isn’t productive, however, are threats or threatening behavior. I am saddened that the peaceful -- and by their intent respectful and prayer-centered -- actions of our students resulted in threats from a few individuals in public forums. I would encourage all to reflect on our beliefs on diversity and inclusion: “True excellence requires that each individual be able to work and learn in an atmosphere of respect, dignity, and acceptance. Our commitment requires each of us to continuously ensure our interactions be respectful, protect free speech and inspire academic freedom.”

While I fully recognize and appreciate that there are many who have strongly held views that this demonstration could have been achieved in a manner that did not conflate with the observance and allegiance to our national anthem, the fact remains that their personal choice to speak in this way is a protected right that we all are afforded by the Constitution. As pointed out so well by President Bounds, this same right allows our student athletes to kneel in prayer at midfield before or after competition – a tradition that is highly valued by many people as well.

Our student-athletes have provided us an opportunity to examine our own behaviors, engage in productive dialogue and consider alternate views about important issues of our time. This is essential at a place of higher learning.

There is indeed no place like Nebraska and I so appreciate your work and commitment to our mission.

Go Big Red.

-Statement just issued by Ronnie Green.

There's something big happening and I think we need to look at the possibility that it's good.

I think guys like Ricketts and Daub took the kind of position they have taken their whole lives, and fully expected the bedrock majority in our conservative state to welcome their comments. It was the initial first reaction of a lot of people. Good people who don't think they're racist.

Maybe Ricketts and Daub and others immediately outraged didn't expect the blowback to go against them. Not the politically correct blowback some try to blame on media orchestration, but a genuine seismic shift of a younger generation who shrug these things off, and a boomer generation that has have lived long enough to realize their personal experience doesn't dictate everyone else's.

Knee jerk reactions are giving in to reappraisals. People are figuring out they can live with more differences than they thought. Combat veterans aren't speaking with one voice, and neither are BLM supporters. The coach is speaking more about unity than division. The football player in question is meeting with the Governor.

Honestly, for as much as people hate these kind of threads, I'm pretty impressed with the level of discourse on a Husker football fan site.

Michael Rose-Ivey certainly wasn't wrong doing what he did for the reasons he stated.

• Fire 3

There's something big happening and I think we need to look at the possibility that it's good.

I think guys like Ricketts and Daub took the kind of position they have taken their whole lives, and fully expected the bedrock majority in our conservative state to welcome their comments. It was the initial first reaction of a lot of people. Good people who don't think they're racist.

Maybe Ricketts and Daub and others immediately outraged didn't expect the blowback to go against them. Not the politically correct blowback some try to blame on media orchestration, but a genuine seismic shift of a younger generation who shrug these things off, and a boomer generation that has have lived long enough to realize their personal experience doesn't dictate everyone else's.

Knee jerk reactions are giving in to reappraisals. People are figuring out they can live with more differences than they thought. Combat veterans aren't speaking with one voice, and neither are BLM supporters. The coach is speaking more about unity than division. The football player in question is meeting with the Governor.

Honestly, for as much as people hate these kind of threads, I'm pretty impressed with the level of discourse on a Husker football fan site.

Michael Rose-Ivey certainly wasn't wrong doing what he did for the reasons he stated.

What exactly do you mean by the part in bold? That anyone who disagrees with CK or others protesting the anthem are racist? Please, explain your rationale.

• Fire 1

I have a feeling that some (not all) supporters think everybody who is against anthem protests, BLM, etc. are racist. You can want diversity while not supporting people who take a knee for the anthem. I do not think Gov. Ricketts' statement is racist at all. He is both right and wrong, but I will address that later in a post that I do not feel like making right at this instant.

EDIT: Before I get nasty replies, I agree that racism exists and it is a problem. I am saying that not every stance against it is racist.

I wholeheartedly agreed with everything in this post.

Very nicely put, Guy.