Drop Examples of Indisputable Proof That Systemic Racism Still Exists in Here

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

And that's not what's being done there. We're taking the most extreme reaction to Sherman and the most dismissive reaction to Bieber & Grimm and saying they're the same.

These are not "indisputable examples" of racism.  They're disparate examples of reactions to people.

No one is saying that.

People talk sh#t about Bieber all the time because his music sucks and he does dumb crap including breaking the law.

But they call him an idiot or a child or a d****e.

A Black guy doing the same stuff he does would be called a thug. Sherman didn't do anything close to what Bieber did and he gets called a thug.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. I posted a meme because it's faster than typing. If it helps, pretend it says Bieber wasn't called a thug. No one is claiming people don't rag on Bieber. But I've yet to see anyone use racist terms against him for those things. (Note - I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I haven't heard it so I'd have to Google it. Meaning it's not widespread/common).

The equivalent treatment of Sherman would be to call him a cocky, big-headed SOB, which might have been deserved. Not a thug. It's the new N-word.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

And that's not what's being done there. We're taking the most extreme reaction to Sherman and the most dismissive reaction to Bieber & Grimm and saying they're the same.

These are not "indisputable examples" of racism.  They're disparate examples of reactions to people.

Systematic doesn't mean every single person does it. If 10% of the media called Sherman a thug and none say it about Bieber then it's telling.

And the post wasn't about Sherman and Bieber. It was about people using the word "thug" for Black people instead of equally calling people a**holes when they're acting like a**holes.

47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Bieber is one of those celebs that I just can't stand. 

He he used to be a spoiled little brat and now he's a piece of crap drug addict. If someone wants to use the term "thug" then I wouldn't argue. 

If you google "justin Bieber thug". Quite a few links come up. 

I wouldn't have a problem with the word if it was used for all lawbreakers. And not Black guys including ones who aren't doing anything wrong.

I did a google search and most of the results were of his song with Young Thug. Another was titled "Why does Justin Bieber want to be a thug?"

Many of the image results were him with Black guys.

23 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I hear Biebs called slang gay terms...All...The...Time.

Yep. And those shouldn't be used as a diss. Neither should calling a man a c***sucker.

Not sure how it relates to the topic though. The topic isn't about whether Bieber gets mistreated. Or about whether Sherman gets mistreated.

10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Yep. And those shouldn't be used as a diss. Neither should calling a man a c***sucker.

Not sure how it relates to the topic though. The topic isn't about whether Bieber gets mistreated. Or about whether Sherman gets mistreated.

They both get mistreated for stupid reasons.

I mean, the macro-level impressions of Angry Black Man Richard Sherman and incorrigible pop idiot 'The Biebs' are still there. The graphic may be a cherry-picking example, but views both dim and bright do not come in the same flavors and colors, and it expresses this contrast fairly adequately. Even the laziest of examinations (of even that search query) wouldn't support the notion that Bieber and Sherman are equally easily regarded as thugs. This, of course, reflects the larger landscape which is also the point (and on which we agree!)

24 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I even provided a link doing exactly this. I have no idea why this particular conversation is still going on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The link was silly and added nothing to the discussion. The fact someone has called Bieber a thug before doesn't change the fact that loads of people were referring to Sherman as a thug for acting cocky and barely anyone did the same with Bieber when he broke the law.

And just previous to your post I said what I found with Google. I looked 2 pages in. People saying "Why does Bieber want to be a thug?", a song with Young Thug (that was about 80% of the links), and photos of Bieber with Black people. A couple examples of people calling Bieber a thug doesn't change that very few were doing that and lots were doing it with Sherman whose actions were a lot less egregious.

I feel like you're either missing the point (unlikely) or focusing on something extremely unimportant - the wording of the memes. I just grabbed them because they summarized what happened.

Which of the following do you disagree with?

The word thug is supposed to mean someone who is a criminal.

It's used for Black people far more often than for non-Black people.

It's often used for Black people who aren't criminals or even doing anything wrong.

I don't specifically care about Sherman or Bieber. It's one example of a double standard showing the above.

The conversation is still going on because you nitpicked the image. Not sure why you thought I was implying by posting it that no one on earth has ever referred to Bieber as a thug or said anything mean to him.

• Plus1 1