Drop Examples of Indisputable Proof That Systemic Racism Still Exists in Here

First, allow me to recognize that my personal experiences and how shaped my views, in no way is an attempt at undermining anyone else's perspective.

Having read close to every post on this forum and reviewing the provided citations, my overall stance has slightly shifted. 

I'd like to take quick second to chime in on the "thug" posting before I dive deeper. The origins of the word and its use in current day and age, do not mean the same thing. 

In the days of Tupac Shakur, the word Thug took on a new meaning that eventually became a moral code of those born in the "ghetto". "Thug Life" 

In my personal experiences it was used more to represent bold ideologies being spoken, or simply being yourself regardless of the ridicule by those with opposing views(and if you lookup videos of the very right leaning Ben Shapiro it still is).

Thug Life became the moral compass by which to live by when in the ghetto. They're is even a bulleted list I'm sure anu search engine can bring up for reference. That being said, depending on the audience during the that game would completely change how that word is interpreted. 

Now, a little about myself to provide a bit of context from where my point of view is founded. I grew up in Newark, NJ And currently reside in Austin, TX. I served 5 years in the Army, owned three business's, have 2 children, and am currently married to the mother of my second child. (I was also married to the mother of my first).

I grew up fatherless. With an alcoholic mother who suffered from manic depression/bipolar disorder and never attended the same school 2 years in a row.  Still, I was fortunate in that I assimilated well with most stereotypical "cliques". 

My point in saying this is that I noticed regardless of skin color, national origin, or income level, the mantra was the same. "F*ck the police", always, no matter what. Period. Never once was I accosted nor did I even witness those around me deal with police in a negative light. However, make no mistake, the very notion of hating authority was and still is an engrained one. So deep in fact that even as most police officers at the time were black, violence against them persisted.  

Im not saying racists dont walk among us, my point is there that there is the tendency to conflate an ideology with a racial identity. A tendency I disagree with entirely.

The fact that TRULY open dialogue will not occur, and all counter points are seen as a cherry picked incident,  racist, and even fascist, make the topic at hand  an unresolvable one. 

• Plus1 1

On 9/12/2017 at 8:34 AM, knapplc said:

Only problem I have with that Bieber/Sherman comparison is the obvious picking/choosing of descriptors. I've seen Sherman called a lot better and I've seen Bieber called a lot worse.

But that's completely besides the point.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Communacapitalibertarian said:

First, allow me to recognize that my personal experiences and how shaped my views, in no way is an attempt at undermining anyone else's perspective.

Having read close to every post on this forum and reviewing the provided citations, my overall stance has slightly shifted. 

I'd like to take quick second to chime in on the "thug" posting before I dive deeper. The origins of the word and its use in current day and age, do not mean the same thing. 

In the days of Tupac Shakur, the word Thug took on a new meaning that eventually became a moral code of those born in the "ghetto". "Thug Life" 

In my personal experiences it was used more to represent bold ideologies being spoken, or simply being yourself regardless of the ridicule by those with opposing views(and if you lookup videos of the very right leaning Ben Shapiro it still is).

Thug Life became the moral compass by which to live by when in the ghetto. They're is even a bulleted list I'm sure anu search engine can bring up for reference. That being said, depending on the audience during the that game would completely change how that word is interpreted. 

Now, a little about myself to provide a bit of context from where my point of view is founded. I grew up in Newark, NJ And currently reside in Austin, TX. I served 5 years in the Army, owned three business's, have 2 children, and am currently married to the mother of my second child. (I was also married to the mother of my first).

I grew up fatherless. With an alcoholic mother who suffered from manic depression/bipolar disorder and never attended the same school 2 years in a row.  Still, I was fortunate in that I assimilated well with most stereotypical "cliques". 

My point in saying this is that I noticed regardless of skin color, national origin, or income level, the mantra was the same. "F*ck the police", always, no matter what. Period. Never once was I accosted nor did I even witness those around me deal with police in a negative light. However, make no mistake, the very notion of hating authority was and still is an engrained one. So deep in fact that even as most police officers at the time were black, violence against them persisted.  

Im not saying racists dont walk among us, my point is there that there is the tendency to conflate an ideology with a racial identity. A tendency I disagree with entirely.

The fact that TRULY open dialogue will not occur, and all counter points are seen as a cherry picked incident,  racist, and even fascist, make the topic at hand  an unresolvable one. 

Thanks for the contribution and welcome!

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Can't find a succinct article to post ... how about the POTUS and his spokesperson calling for the firing of a black woman who tweeted about him on her personal account on her own time?  (Nevermind ESPN's attempt to "punish" her)?

Take it one step further where Trump commented that Jeffrey Lord got a raw deal getting fired for making a Nazi salute.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Can't find a succinct article to post ... how about the POTUS and his spokesperson calling for the firing of a black woman who tweeted about him on her personal account on her own time?  (Nevermind ESPN's attempt to "punish" her)?

They should not punish her at all.  

With that said, they should fire her because her shows are lame AF.

18 hours ago, Communacapitalibertarian said:

Welcome to the board!

• 2 weeks later...