Drop Examples of Indisputable Proof That Systemic Racism Still Exists in Here

^ not the point of the thread.

Actually, it is. This kid is mentally ill, and mental ill people face just as many obstacles in our society.

Actually, no it isn't. There probably are examples of systemic bias against disabled people but this isn't an example of that.

• Fire 1

^ not the point of the thread.

Actually, it is. This kid is mentally ill, and mental ill people face just as many obstacles in our society.

The thread is for pointing out institutionalized biases based on race/skin color. It's not about the disabled, nor is it about individual instances of prejudices at the hands of people. But both of those things are fine things to make a thread about.

How about almost every time a person of color cleary commits a crime (caught on camera) their ethnicity is not reported while looking for the POS, yet when a supposedly white person supposedly commits a crime the perp is described as white.

That is clearly systematic racism.

I don't know what news you watch, unless it comes out of a monkey's balloon knot (which actually wouldn't surprise me), but this isn't even remotely true. We have mountains of research to show whites are more often portrayed in an appealing fashion in the news whereas blacks and members of other races are not.

• 4 months later...

I can honestly say I've never once watched an episode of Maher's show, but I've seen several video clips.

So, although this may be an incomplete and unfair perspective/opinion of him, he's always struck me as an intelligent man who engages his audience through extremes. Extreme humor, extreme examples, extreme bigotry and at times extreme racism.

I don't know why he gets a get out of jail free card, though. I'm guessing it's because he usually lambasts the right and he does (regularly) make good points, even if he goes too far. His show is also on HBO which has a history of having some pretty outrageous content.

I think you need to carefully define "racism" and "systemic racism" and also need to carefully distinguish between racial disparities in terms of outcomes versus racial discrimination motivated by racial hatred exhibited by individuals when relating to other individuals.

To simply say that whites earn more than blacks (as measured as groups based on income reported on federal income tax returns, for example), assuming such a statement is in fact true - I don't know the answer - does not tell you much about 'systemic' racism without knowing and taking into account many other factors which influence a person's income as reported on tax returns. But the data would be relevant in attempting to consider the question of whether or not there is some kind of systemic racism built in to the federal tax code, the employment and economic circumstances of blacks vs whites , etc etc.

There are so many many variables and factors to attempt to control for before one can make any serious judgments about systemic racism it would seem to me.

Are inviduals 'racist' in the sense that most people think of the term racist? Undoubtedly. A certain portion of the whites, the blacks, the reds, the browns, the yellows, etc. are bound to be racist (meaning they do not like or 'hate' or willfully and knowlingly discriminate against members of the other color groups or even against those within their own color grouping. If racist means disliking or disrespecting someone based on the color of the skin.

Everyone discriminates in almost every thing they do or say or believe or perceive about the environment around them. Merely existing in society and being engaged in the daily activities of life as a social being necessarily involves making choices and reacting to the circumstances presented as one goes about living. People are inundated with messages and other information from ads to subtle signs and indicators from all those with whom interaction results in the course of going about your daily routines. Selections and choices are made in response both knowlingly and without thinking (subconsciously).

Do people tend to favor those who appear more like them as opposed to those who do not? I would suppose so. Does that make them 'racists'? Perhaps but that does not make them inherently bad or evil or malicious or wrongdoers. We all discriminate in terms of our choices of clothing, hair styles, workplace preferences, media and entertainment choices, etc etc etc.

Determining what causes blacks to commit more or less crimes than whites or hispanics or asians or men vs women etc is a VERY complicated query indeed. Does poverty beget more crime in the black population that it does in the white population? Or does crime in the black community beget more poverty thab that which results in the white community?

Do predominantly black communities have lower home ownership rates than predominantly white communities because blacks have been encouraged to live in government housing projects which tend to discourage home ownership and encourage renting? Do blacks tend to live in mostly black neighborhoods by choice based on racial preferences ?

I believe we are exposed to various forms of discrimination (race, ethicity, hair and eye color, height, weight, gender, physical attractiveness, etc etc etc.) and it is quite difficulty to determine which of many factors are being used by people in making the choices they do.

Cultural and social differences, inherited traits, economic and political experiences, educational and religious experiences, family and neighborhood and many many other conditions can and do influence the attitudes and behavior of everyone. Which ones are 'racial' or race related or not, is a complex determination. And even if so determined, determining what caused what (which came first - the chicken or the end?) is not easy.