What Did We Learn - Illinois

Mavric

I am learning that it's entirely possible that we have yet to play a team that will make a bowl game.

We'll likely jump up to #13 or #14 in this week's rankings, which I understand the logic of, but we are still far from being that good of a team IMO. We've beaten who we could, but our opponents thus far are turning out to be quite a bit of steaming poo.

Most of the issues we have are self-inflicted. Still some of the general tackling issues, penalties, turnovers. Clearly we were a much better team that could have dominated, but much like Northwestern, we couldn't get out of our own way. Hopefully we can clean it up before we face Wisc and OSU. Can't afford to give away yards, points, and possessions against teams who aren't overmatched. So many teams in the conference are inferior in terms of talent and coaching, we need to avoid shooting ourselves in the foot.

Bye week is at a great time. Right where we want to be record-wise. Hope we can get healthy and continue to stack the W's. Felt great to see Newby have a big day after working so hard for so long as a Husker and not always getting the bulk of the carries.

Also feel bad for Drake Martinez; tough it didn't work out here but never want to see a kid make a critical mistake and become a scapegoat

• Fire 1

I am learning that it's entirely possible that we have yet to play a team that will make a bowl game.

We'll likely jump up to #13 or #14 in this week's rankings, which I understand the logic of, but we are still far from being that good of a team IMO. We've beaten who we could, but our opponents thus far are turning out to be quite a bit of steaming poo.

You can say the same for Tennessee and the almighty Alabama. While this team has it's issues when it comes to depth and talent, just enjoy the good season that we are having. Riley had to break down this program to it's foundation and start rebuilding it after the shape that Bo left it in. While I agree that we are not a top 15 team yet (although I think we may be higher than what you put them in the morning) you can see the start of the rebuild in that we are now winning the games that we are supposed to win. That is something that we haven't done since Crouch was our QB. Right now I believe that we are winning games with heart and conditioning, which is why we play so well in the 4th except when the DL gets gassed due to lack of depth but even then just being able to play that much at the size those kids are showing how well conditioned they are. Throw in the heart that this team has on top of it, all we need is the talent and the depth to go with the heart and conditioning, then we will be back in the top 5-10 where we all want to be. In other words trust the process as it is working.

We're the worst undefeated team...

Lulz

I think Tennessee is close. They needed a hail Mary and have struggled at some point in every game. Much like us.

They've also played better competition, presumably.

No they haven't, going into OT vs App State and needed a favorable call to win that game is far worse than anything we have gone through this year. Throw in that they barely beat a bad Ohio team 28-19, Needed a hail mary to beat a bad Georgia team without Nick Chubb by the way. They beat a Florida team that squeaked by Vandy today 13-6 and scored more on UT than they scored on North Texas. Finally they beat a rebuilding Virginia Tech team after Beamer retired. So while I believe there was some sarcasm in your post, I just wanted to point out that Tennessee is by far the worst undefeated team in the country. The entire SEC Least division is terrible.

• Fire 1

Lulz

I think Tennessee is close. They needed a hail Mary and have struggled at some point in every game. Much like us.

No they haven't, going into OT vs App State and needed a favorable call to win that game is far worse than anything we have gone through this year. Throw in that they barely beat a bad Ohio team 28-19, Needed a hail mary to beat a bad Georgia team without Nick Chubb by the way. They beat a Florida team that squeaked by Vandy today 13-6 and scored more on UT than they scored on North Texas. Finally they beat a rebuilding Virginia Tech team after Beamer retired. So while I believe there was some sarcasm in your post, I just wanted to point out that Tennessee is by far the worst undefeated team in the country. The entire SEC Least division is terrible.

Frankly, anyone that isn't 'Bama or Texas aTm really doesn't seem to be worth much this year.

Lulz

Frankly, anyone that isn't 'Bama or Texas aTm really doesn't seem to be worth much this year.

I will take Ohio State over both.

• Fire 1

I wasn't being sarcastic and that's a lot of contortion on your part to try and make them sound as awful as possible. How easily can someone do the same for Nebraska? Barely beat a bad Oregon team that has lost to CU and WSU, struggled against a Northwestern team that lost to FCS Western Michigan, etc. etc. etc.

Not calling them world-beaters, and also not saying they're deserving of their ranking. All I'm saying is that I don't really love our odds against any top 15 team at the moment, and think we're still miles away from OSU in conference.

• Fire 1

• We can no longer win the TO margin. This is two games in a row. DBs no longer look for the ball, and RBs are putting too many balls on the turf

Weren't we even with northwestern?

Right? and we had 2 interceptions against Northwestern.

It's the internet. Everyone can do it.

I agree with this but when you look at the team around and behind us, are there really that many you think are better?

We still have the toughest part of our schedule coming up. It will work itself out I think.

• The team doesn't give up. Not on each other or on their coaches.
  • Coaches stay level headed and methodical.
  • We make stupid, immature mistakes that result in penalties.
  • We can't seem to get it together in the first half.
  • We seem to do enough to win - hope we can learn to dominate.

But, the fans do give up on them...

• Fire 2

I still believe we are a Top 25 team but not a Top 15 team.

This is not the same team as last year; we finish games.

This isn't something I learned but something I'm pretty sure of: we're not going to wear down Wisconsin and Ohio State, so we can't keep expecting it to go this way.

Wouldn't be surprised to see us sling it around against those teams.