OFF & DEF Coordinator per-play efficiency rankings and season grades

knapplc

The lads at College Football Matrix are handing out mid-season (a bit early, yes) grades to the Offensive & Defensive coordinators. They explain their methodology at the link.

Based on their factors, Mark Banker and Danny Langsdorf both get a B so far this year.

DEF LINK

nMYytYT.png

OFF LINK

REIvafK.png

One thing to note: I'm not sure they take injuries into account, and I'm reasonably certain they don't factor in things like players who were recruited to fit one system but are being coached by guys who favor an entirely different system. Tommy Armstrong and Nate Gerry are the two biggest names that come to mind in that scenario.

Still, a B for both Coordinators is pretty good. I imagine if you looked at these numbers this time last year, both would be at a D or F.

• Fire 3

I wonder what Langsdorf would grade out if you based his RTD on the players that actually playedconsidering injuries and all? He's done an amazing job considering the patchwork quilt that is our offensive line.

Great article, btw, Knapp. :thumbs:

I'm not sure why PPG is a factor here. Some teams work very well running a high paced offense and some work well slowing it down and taking time off the clock.

Also, the PPG the offense runs has a lot to do with if the defense gets off the field with a 3 and out and gives them the ball back. What if one offense is a quick strike offense compared to one who methodically moves the ball down the field 5 yards at a time?

I like the thought behind the table. But, this part of it is flawed.

Iowa is an A+ on defense this metric is invalid.

I don't know that their defense has been that bad. Not sure about A+ but they are #21 in scoring defense.

It's their offense that has been really bad. #63 scoring offense and #110 in total offense.

Their offense is rated a B also. They have been really bad at what they are built to defend. They have been gashed on the ground this season. They have also played some pretty terrible offenses. ISU, MIAMI ( not the U but the O), Rutgers, and NW. They have given up more points per game than Nebraska and you could say against at least equal talent. I agree with our B rating, but If that is an A + then it raises some questions of these grades.