2 teams from 1 conference in the CFP

So as everyone knows, while unlikely, it is possible the BIG and the ACC could get 2 teams into the playoff this year. I believe this year it could happen with the disaster going on in BigXII country and only 1 contender out west.

The question is is it possible for a conference to get 2 teams in from different divisions? Right now the talk is maybe UM and tOSU or Clemson and Louisville. But let's say as a hypothetical, our huskers go undefeated in the regular season, meet up with an undefeated Michigan team who slipped by a 1 loss OSU, then end up losing on a last second field goal, kick 6, or something dramatic.

Logic says that the CCG is a playoff game by extension and the loser would be eliminated, but why is it more likely for a team who didn't even make the CCG to get into the CFP?

• Fire 1

It's possible. The question is are the two teams from the same division of the same conference? Is Clemson and Louisville in the same division? I srsly dont know. Ohio

st and Michigan are for sure. With two teams from the same division, I dont think it happens. I know it's supposed to be the 4 best regardless, but with human minds and emotions handling the selection process, I think theyll be a degree of subjectiveness involved that "spreads it out" and keeps one conference from getting two, esp since one power 5 conference is already getting left out. But on the other side, if the Big 12 and Pac 12 continue to "not do their part", well, then that'll just be too bad. But then they have to decided which conference gets the two. Which is why I see it not happening.

• Fire 1

Louisville and clemson are both in the same division and any time 2 teams are talked about making it from the same conference they are in the same division or in the big 12 (no ccg) If there were going to be 2 teams from the same conference this year I would think the ACC has the best shot since Louisville and clemson played early.

In a scenario with a 2 loss pac12 champ, a 2 or 3 loss big 12 champ I think the committee would put 2 teams in from the same conference assuming the team that didn't win it's conference lost to the champion, but in our little scenario for this year they would likely choose a 11-1 Louisville or TAMU that lost to a playoff team early, rather than a 12-1 nebraska fresh off a loss in the CCG. I can't think of many situations where you could lose the CCG and make the playoff which would make for quite the debate if an 11-1 divisional runner up made it instead

What if we have a season like 99' where we lose to Ohio State in the regular season but beat them in the B1G championship? Is there any way both of us make the playoff? This is one of the reasons I've always advocated for an eight team playoff with the teams being ranked similar to a BCS format. I don't think teams should be penalized when one conference has the best two teams in the nation. I'm not saying any conference has that this year, but it's bound to happen.

What if we have a season like 99' where we lose to Ohio State in the regular season but beat them in the B1G championship? Is there any way both of us make the playoff? This is one of the reasons I've always advocated for an eight team playoff with the teams being ranked similar to a BCS format. I don't think teams should be penalized when one conference has the best two teams in the nation. I'm not saying any conference has that this year, but it's bound to happen.

In that scenario, it would be possible to play the team three times in one season.

Team A & Team B play in the regular season.

Both win their division and play in the Conference Championship game. Both games are close victories (say, won in OT) and as a result, both make the playoffs.

They could either be paired in the playoff or win their first round games, and face each other in the championship.

I think that would be a tremendously uncompelling game, and the Committee would take that into consideration and not select both teams. Likely they'd choose the CCG winner regardless of regular seasons results.

This would actually make the strongest case for a CCG loser, beating the team they lost to in the regular season. That would cause a huge dilemma for the committee because you could have 3 1-loss teams in the same conference that all have strong resumes. Expansion of the playoff would solve this conundrum most likely depending on how it's set up. If you do 8 teams with 5 auto qualifiers, you are really setting up a 12 team (8 teams playing CCG, the big 12 winner and 3 wildcards) playoff because CCGs would then truly become an extension playoff game since the winner is guaranteed a spot. So still with an 8 team playoff I think you have a better shot losing in the regular season and not playing a CCG than if you were to go undefeated and lose in the CCG.

This would actually make the strongest case for a CCG loser, beating the team they lost to in the regular season. That would cause a huge dilemma for the committee because you could have 3 1-loss teams in the same conference that all have strong resumes. Expansion of the playoff would solve this conundrum most likely depending on how it's set up. If you do 8 teams with 5 auto qualifiers, you are really setting up a 17 team playoff because CCGs would then truly become an extension playoff game since the winner is guaranteed a spot. So still with an 8 team playoff I think you have a better shot losing in the regular season and not playing a CCG than if you were to go undefeated and lose in the CCG.

Why 5 auto qualifiers? What's the purpose? The playoffs shouldn't be a reward for winning your conference. Use a BCS type format to rank the teams. The top 8 get in regardless of what conference they belong to. I would rather go with this scenario and get rid of the conference championship games. It will never happen, but this is what I've always thought would be best.

This would actually make the strongest case for a CCG loser, beating the team they lost to in the regular season. That would cause a huge dilemma for the committee because you could have 3 1-loss teams in the same conference that all have strong resumes. Expansion of the playoff would solve this conundrum most likely depending on how it's set up. If you do 8 teams with 5 auto qualifiers, you are really setting up a 17 team playoff because CCGs would then truly become an extension playoff game since the winner is guaranteed a spot. So still with an 8 team playoff I think you have a better shot losing in the regular season and not playing a CCG than if you were to go undefeated and lose in the CCG.

Why 5 auto qualifiers? What's the purpose? The playoffs shouldn't be a reward for winning your conference. Use a BCS type format to rank the teams. The top 8 get in regardless of what conference they belong to. I would rather go with this scenario and get rid of the conference championship games. It will never happen, but this is what I've always thought would be best.

the only problem with that is distinguishing between 7 8 9 and 10. Most years there will probably be as many as 5 or 6 programs quibbling over the fact they didn't make it in but so and so school did. No system is perfect though so that would be better than giving an auto qualifier to a 4 loss conference champ

Louisville and clemson are both in the same division and any time 2 teams are talked about making it from the same conference they are in the same division or in the big 12 (no ccg) If there were going to be 2 teams from the same conference this year I would think the ACC has the best shot since Louisville and clemson played early.

In a scenario with a 2 loss pac12 champ, a 2 or 3 loss big 12 champ I think the committee would put 2 teams in from the same conference assuming the team that didn't win it's conference lost to the champion, but in our little scenario for this year they would likely choose a 11-1 Louisville or TAMU that lost to a playoff team early, rather than a 12-1 nebraska fresh off a loss in the CCG. I can't think of many situations where you could lose the CCG and make the playoff which would make for quite the debate if an 11-1 divisional runner up made it instead

I am with this. I find it difficult that a CCG loser will make it in. It is just human nature. The last impression they will give the committee is a loss, in a game that could easily be called an extension of the playoff anyways. So 1) you have human nature of the last impression being a loss and 2) the "you had your chance already" argument.

oh I agree it's just an interesting thought that if 2 teams from a conference make it they would have to be in the same division. The only scenario I see a CCG loser make the playoff is if the team A beats team B by 1 point in the regular season then team B beats team A by one point in the CCG. Also both teams would have to have played tough schedules winning all other games in a dominant fashion a degree above what anyone else in the country was doing

I still find it ridiculous that a team can be MNC, but can't even win their own division. Alabama should be stripped of the title in 2012

see this is why I'm confused at the notion 2 teams from one conference are always in the same division if discussed

One of the worst seasons college football has had. The title game was horrendous and I would argue it is much harder to win 2 times against a good opponent than it is to lose the first one and win the second one in the sport of football particularly. Can't say the second Bama-LSU match up told us much besides Bama played better that day