Bo Pelini to PURDUE?

I still think he has the mind and fortitude to be a highly successful coach at the highest level.

Really? Those are the two characteristics I'd consider him worst at. He might succeed despite his flaws (other coaches have), but mentally he's pretty unstable. He reminds me of Woody Hayes, who's instability was his ultimate undoing.

The dude is pretty much an undisputed defensive genius.

And despite the claims of his anger problem, he knows how to draw effort out of kids. And that's the #2 most important aspect of coaching, just behind being a truly gifted offensive or defensive mind.

I actually think he could do an ok job at Purdue. He prefers to recruit 3-star and under-the-radar guys, and those types are all over the place in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.

I respect your opinions CH, so I would appreciate your perspective on the basis of the claim about "he prefers underdog recruits."

I think Bo, like most coaches, goes after the best players he can reasonably be expected to land consistently under the circumstances. Unless something's changed, he still had a number of highly ranked recruits during his tenure. I thought I saw a stat that only one Riley signee is among the top 10 signed by NU in the past 5 years or something.

I feel like that's a myth that grew legs based on perception and recruitnik muckraking more than actual evidence.

I actually think he could do an ok job at Purdue. He prefers to recruit 3-star and under-the-radar guys, and those types are all over the place in Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.

I respect your opinions CH, so I would appreciate your perspective on the basis of the claim about "he prefers underdog recruits."

I think Bo, like most coaches, goes after the best players he can reasonably be expected to land consistently under the circumstances. Unless something's changed, he still had a number of highly ranked recruits during his tenure. I thought I saw a stat that only one Riley signee is among the top 10 signed by NU in the past 5 years or something.

I feel like that's a myth that grew legs based on perception and recruitnik muckraking more than actual evidence.

I wasn't trying to knock Bo's recruiting, as I think this year's team is showing to have more talent than most thought were around. I was just trying to say that at Purdue, he can probably go after Michigan and Ohio State's leftovers in the area and do very well with them.

:::checking the return policies on my penguin gear:::

In all seriousness, I don't see him leaving YSU this year or next. But I could see him making another run at the FBS. We bought low on Pelini and sold low. As was alluded to in the article, he gained a lot of experience at NU, but we won't be the ones to reap the benefits. I still think he has the mind and fortitude to be a highly successful coach at the highest level.

This is why you are seen as an ultimate troll.

Cmon man. Youre not even trying to hide it anymore.

You can take it as a troll, but I'm hardly the only one that feels that way.

If I heard right, YSU beat a ranked team this past week with a QB who practiced with the scout team the week leading up to the game. That's impressive.

His D may be leading all of FCS right now and that's in the toughest conference. That's impressive.

• Fire 2

I wasn't trying to knock Bo's recruiting, as I think this year's team is showing to have more talent than most thought were around. I was just trying to say that at Purdue, he can probably go after Michigan and Ohio State's leftovers in the area and do very well with them.

Got it. I didn't take it as a knock. Just wondering about the underlying reasoning.

But I hear what your saying on it.

This would be awesome and I hope it were to come true. On the topic of Purdue, I am shocked there are so many big names being thrown out there for the position. I don't see Purdue as a premier job and in fact see it as a bottom dweller job with a ton of obstacles and no tradition.

It's a job in the Big Ten, at a school with very limited expectations. Plus, I think Purdue is using some cash to improve their facilities. Yes, it's not the most attractive job in the nation, but it's a school that will give a coach a decent amount of money for a 5-year contract. If that coach is able to go 2-1 or 3-0 in the non-conference and then be good enough to go 4-5 in conference, Purdue is making a bowl, and that coach is getting a raise on a contract extension.

I still think he has the mind and fortitude to be a highly successful coach at the highest level.

Really? Those are the two characteristics I'd consider him worst at. He might succeed despite his flaws (other coaches have), but mentally he's pretty unstable. He reminds me of Woody Hayes, who's instability was his ultimate undoing.

The dude is pretty much an undisputed defensive genius.

And despite the claims of his anger problem, he knows how to draw effort out of kids. And that's the #2 most important aspect of coaching, just behind being a truly gifted offensive or defensive mind.

Knowing defense and being able to coach defense are far two different things. I've always been one to think that Bo may have been 10 years ahead of his time the way he was able to handle spreads in the Big 12. But once the threat of balance of the bigten came into the mix, sh#t rolled downhill in a hurry.

His anger problem is not a "claim". its a documented fact in audio and visual that the guy seriously lacks any sort of self control in the face of adversity and opposition.

the effort thing is questionable. Sure you can make claims to all the comebacks and such over his time but there's two things. One, we can find just as many cases of the wheels coming and packing it in. And 2, the lack of effort that dug them those holes in the first place. Effort is more than just playing hard. I think that's a dynamic a lot of folks dont get when talking about "effort".

College coaching is a pressure packed job. Even at a place like Purdue. Too much money involved. Bo showed that when things are on the uptick, he's good. But when the pressure caves in, so does he. Even just last year, an opponents radio team was talking about their team's gameplan to just get the game to the 4th qtr against YSU and wait for them to crumble. This literally happened. And when your opponent main game plan is centered around your temperement, or lack thereof, youve got issues. Bo and co. did crumble. They got a couple personal fouls and so on, and lost the game.

You can point out all wins at YSU you wnat. He's also got a couple of big boy Power 5 level players playing for him. But it's not about whether Bo is a good coach or not. Of course he's a good coach. If youre coaching at a level to that of any college or above, It's safe to say you know football, how to coach it, how to manage a program and so on, to an extent. The debate is whether he's good ENOUGH for a place like Nebraska. He's not. And I'm not sure he's even good enough for any FBS level job. he's shown too many times he cant handle the situation and also burned the bridge hot enough that it's gonna be hard to even get the opportunity again.

• Fire 3

This would be awesome and I hope it were to come true. On the topic of Purdue, I am shocked there are so many big names being thrown out there for the position. I don't see Purdue as a premier job and in fact see it as a bottom dweller job with a ton of obstacles and no tradition.

But this happens with every job search. The people putting these names out aren't the people actually doing the search, they're people who want you to click their website, or who want to win the internet. These lists are all the same, and very few of them have any bearing on reality.

Think of all the lists that were created when Nebraska fired Bo Pelini. Insiders everywhere had their top five, names in the mix, so-and-so's been talked to, bap bap bap.

Not one of those lists had Mike Riley on it.

Joe Tiller had some really good success there and you can win there because you always have a decent shot to win 3 non-conference games and then get IL, Minny, Iowa, possibly, MD, Rutgers, Indiana and so on. Plus their fans are not crazy...they really are happy with 7-8 win seasons for the most part.

But this happens with every job search. The people putting these names out aren't the people actually doing the search, they're people who want you to click their website, or who want to win the internet. These lists are all the same, and very few of them have any bearing on reality.

Think of all the lists that were created when Nebraska fired Bo Pelini. Insiders everywhere had their top five, names in the mix, so-and-so's been talked to, bap bap bap.

And most of the fans on this board were "Mike who?" and were throwing a fit when Riley was hired.

Or, there are some "leaks" so that certain coaches can get raises.

And most of the fans on this board were "Mike who?" and were throwing a fit when Riley was hired.

i knew who Mike Riley was.

I'm gonna be blunt honest. Ppl who seriously (and i say seriously. Cuz I think some of the banter of not knowing who Riley was was kind of in a sarcastic tone cuz he was the farthest thing from the radar. it was a surprise.) Ppl who seriously who did not know who he is are those who just simply do not pay attn to, and do not know nearly as much about college football as they act like. Theyre the ones who watch Nebraska only, dont pay much attn to anything else other than a score ticker. Its' not a bad thing. Thats their perogative. And it's just my observation.