Bo Pelini to PURDUE?

Are you or are you not the one who originally compared his behavior to Saban?

is this really happening? Are you trying to flip your obvious stupid sh#t onto me?

I'm saying that even if one accepts the highly suspect claim that every angry move that Saban makes is "calculated" (as you proposed with Kitten) and every angry move by Bo is "unhinged," I can tell you that Saban's attitude was not a product of cold calculation early in his career. (and, spoiler: it's not now either).

Those of us who follow the game and its history know Saban's history and reputation as a younger coach. We understand the context of coaching and the level of intensity required to produce that "marginally better" win record that is the difference between championships and mediocrity. I get that you're a young guy and don't follow football too closely.

Happy to take this to PMs where I can inform you in a manner less embarrassing for you.

• Fire 1

Are you or are you not the one who originally compared his behavior to Saban?

is this really happening? Are you trying to flip your obvious stupid sh#t onto me?

I'm saying that even if one accepts the highly suspect claim that every angry move that Saban makes is "calculated" (as you proposed with Kitten) and every angry move by Bo is "unhinged," I can tell you that Saban's attitude was not a product of cold calculation early in his career. (and, spoiler: it's not now either).

Those of us who follow the game and its history know Saban's history and reputation as a younger coach. We understand the context of coaching and the level of intensity required to produce that "marginally better" win record that is the difference between championships and mediocrity. I get that you're a young guy and don't follow football too closely.

Happy to take this to PMs where I can inform you in a manner less embarrassing for you.

No pm necessary. I can handle the eduaction in public.

And despite the claims of his anger problem, he knows how to draw effort out of kids. And that's the #2 most important aspect of coaching, just behind being a truly gifted offensive or defensive mind.

Claims of anger problems? Claims? Merely claims? Ha ha! Perhaps a bit of an understatement, donchya think?. He might be the angriest coach in FBS.

All of FBS? He may not be even the angriest in the midwest:

And that's leaving aside a huge number of "angry" coaches in the SEC (top of the bill being Nicky Satan himself).

EDIT: Weird, I can't seem to post pictures. But Brian K., Mark D., John H. and Urban M. all have pictures easily findable on google of them looking as angry as Bo does in your clips. Brian Kelly and Mark Dantonio and Harbaugh are all easily worse, but I guess they don't have as "ugly" of a mean face, so they get away with it. Or -- more likely -- they had a few more wins, so they are forgiven, but that will pivot quickly (it already is for Kelly).

Bo's behavior when he thought no one was watching is all you need to know about his temperment and self control. All you need to know about what was in his heart and was his full attn was on.

Sure those guys have times of anger. What coach doesnt. Even Riley has had a couple incidents already where he's gone all Pelini on someone. there was a stretch a couple years when Tim Miles, in the stretch of less than a week, purposely cussed in a presser, received a technical foul, and was ejected from a game. The issue is how do those things impact your ability to coach and think, and how does it affect your teams mindset. Some of these guys do that stuff in a calculating manner. You think Saban blew up on kiffin a few weeks back just cuz? No. It was a calculated move. Saban's success makes it possible for that assumption. Look what theyve done since.

And like you demonstrated in your previous post, you myopically compare a first time coached in his 40s to a seasoned veteran who ran through his maturing issues on the obscure sidelines of MAC and MSU. And he still didn't have it sorted out before his embarrassment around the dolphins thing.

Better backpedaling than a NFLcornerback. :thumbs:

HaZKbnX.gif

• Fire 1

And despite the claims of his anger problem, he knows how to draw effort out of kids. And that's the #2 most important aspect of coaching, just behind being a truly gifted offensive or defensive mind.

Claims of anger problems? Claims? Merely claims? Ha ha! Perhaps a bit of an understatement, donchya think?. He might be the angriest coach in FBS.

All of FBS? He may not be even the angriest in the midwest:

And that's leaving aside a huge number of "angry" coaches in the SEC (top of the bill being Nicky Satan himself).

EDIT: Weird, I can't seem to post pictures. But Brian K., Mark D., John H. and Urban M. all have pictures easily findable on google of them looking as angry as Bo does in your clips. Brian Kelly and Mark Dantonio and Harbaugh are all easily worse, but I guess they don't have as "ugly" of a mean face, so they get away with it. Or -- more likely -- they had a few more wins, so they are forgiven, but that will pivot quickly (it already is for Kelly).

Bo's behavior when he thought no one was watching is all you need to know about his temperment and self control. All you need to know about what was in his heart and was his full attn was on.

Sure those guys have times of anger. What coach doesnt. Even Riley has had a couple incidents already where he's gone all Pelini on someone. there was a stretch a couple years when Tim Miles, in the stretch of less than a week, purposely cussed in a presser, received a technical foul, and was ejected from a game. The issue is how do those things impact your ability to coach and think, and how does it affect your teams mindset. Some of these guys do that stuff in a calculating manner. You think Saban blew up on kiffin a few weeks back just cuz? No. It was a calculated move. Saban's success makes it possible for that assumption. Look what theyve done since.

And like you demonstrated in your previous post, you myopically compare a first time coached in his 40s to a seasoned veteran who ran through his maturing issues on the obscure sidelines of MAC and MSU. And he still didn't have it sorted out before his embarrassment around the dolphins thing.

Better backpedaling than a NFLcornerback. :thumbs:

HaZKbnX.gif

Trying to cover the varying arguments from some posters on here is a lot like trying to cover an all-pro WR's shiftiness, yes.

First it's that Bo is the angriest coach EVARRRRR!!R

Then someone points out that, well, actually, in context, his behavior is not that far out of bounds from many high profile coaches (and well inside guys like Kelly, Harbaugh and Saban).

So, the argument shifts to, "well, those guys do it in a calculated way." Bo really is the angriest EAVARAREVRR!11!!!

Then someone points out, well, even if a veteran coach like Saban really is acting out of anger in a calculated way (i.e., feigning anger for effect), then one should admit that that certainly hasn't always been the case for Saban (a notoriously giant A-hole).

So, the argument shifts to the non-sequitur: "oh so you think Bo will be the NEXT SABAN! LOLOOLOLOLOOOLOL"

- And I'm the one accused of moving goalposts?

Is Purdue looking at Pelini as the DB's coach or DC? That'd be a good hire.

Honest question here: Do you think Youngstown State would trade their current head coach for Nebraska's current coach? Why or why not? Who would they trade Pelini for as a move up?

Same question only Purdue now: If their choices were limited to Riley or Pelini, which do you think they would take, and why?

I think too many people here are extrapolating what happened here in Nebraska to minimize Pelini's past and predict his future, ignoring every other place and instance at which Pelini had success.

This forum even had a celebratory thread gloating about a Youngstown State loss that ended up a win. So I don't think I am reaching when I say many here can't look at Pelini objectively and/or draw rational conclusions.

Too many of you will never get over the idea that Pelini didn't think Nebraska was the greatest thing that ever happened to him, but rather the opposite. It's back to the irrational need to be considered "The World's Greatest Fans" by everybody and everybody that meets you. That's unrealistic, by the way.

• Fire 2

Bo was a good coach.

Bo's first three years as a head coach were impressive, trending upwards, and something to be proud of and excited about.

Bo had success at the highest level. Success isn't a yes/no thing, it's to a matter of degrees, and he didn't have it to a high enough degree to keep his job at one of the top 5 all-time football schools.

Bo likes the college game because overall Bo is a pretty decent guy who believes in and stands for most of the right things. He's a good family man, and a good educator of young men. He also has some serious warts and imperfections.

Bo could still be a quality, successful head coach at the highest level in a different context, and maybe he will.

• Fire 2