Bo Pelini to PURDUE?

Bo could have been going 9-4/10-4 with the almost always once or twice a year blowout embarassing loss and acted exactly like Mike Riley and I would still have been in favor of a coaching change.

It wasn't the temper tantrums for me. It was the stagnant ceiling. Some may call it unreasonable or imaptience to expect more. I call it pretty normal fandom and not at all unreasonable for Nebraska to win something of merit once in a while.

That's fair, and that's where I basically came in. While the sideline freak outs got old, I wasn't too offended by them.

It is not unreasonable at all, I don't think. You get to a certain point each year that becomes the baseline. Bo seemed to hit that all the time but that just made us fans want more, that is how it works, especially at big time programs.

Bo could have been going 9-4/10-4 with the almost always once or twice a year blowout embarassing loss and acted exactly like Mike Riley and I would still have been in favor of a coaching change.

It wasn't the temper tantrums for me. It was the stagnant ceiling. Some may call it unreasonable or imaptience to expect more. I call it pretty normal fandom and not at all unreasonable for Nebraska to win something of merit once in a while.

That's fair, and that's where I basically came in. While the sideline freak outs got old, I wasn't too offended by them.

At the end of the day, it was the inability to shut down a few different plays by Wisconsin over multiple games that did me in. Also, the fact that we always lost a game to a okey-dokey opponent, that we absolutely needed to win.

Now you can go back and see that I stuck with him until the end, because I'm loyal fan for as long as I can be. But. I knew that he was never going to get by Wisconsin, ever.

Agreedbut it was three times, actually, that Bo got pwned by Wiscy. :lol:

2011: Lost 48-17

2012 CCG: Lost 70-31 (But we beat 'em by a FG in regular season game.)

2014: Lost 59-24

That was my first thought when I read that, as well hahaha. ;)

So many good posts here, I can't quote them all.

But just to agree with many, I also liked Bo the human being on non-gamedays hahaha. He ran a clean program, he was a connection to the almost-glory-days (the last throws of the Solich years), and he seemed to be someone altogether different on Spring Game Saturday....

But my goodness, he certainly showed neither the ability, nor the inclination, to take a drastic look at his defensive philosophy in the face of insurmountable evidence that it needed to change. Of course, the offensive turnover, "3 and out", or quick-strike machine that seemed to dominate his years here did that defense no favors.

It had to change.

So I'm just going to hop in here....

I believe people are claiming Bo is a defensive wizard?

Well, yes, against poor teams.

Against teams that are more apt and knowledgeable? Not so much. See Wisconsin.

They tore him to shreds, not once, but twice.

Just shows he isn't intelligent enough to formulate a way to stop a couple different run plays. Which is downright pathetic, if you are considered a defensive genius.

Having said that, he might be the best candidate Purdue has interested.

I thought it may have been 3, but wanted to err on the side of not being over the top for a change. Thanks!!!

I remember hearing a Badger DB (or LB?) talking during a post game interview. He said that when they'd walk a guy up to the line to blitz we wouldn't adjust to pick him up. So they kept sending a blitzer, and we kept failing to account for him. He said they just couldn't believe that we weren't adjusting to it. So they just kept sending blitzers every few plays all game long.

The thing is, I think Pelini's teams were sometimes the same way on defense. If the other team found something to exploit, we had a hard time adjusting to it real time during the game. I think part of the problem is that Bo would get so worked up during games that he couldn't think straight. Oh well, that's ancient history now. JMHO.

• Fire 1

Just shows he isn't intelligent enough to formulate a way to stop a couple different run plays. Which is downright pathetic, if you are considered a defensive genius.

I thought it may have been 3, but wanted to err on the side of not being over the top for a change. Thanks!!!

I remember hearing a Badger DB (or LB?) talking during a post game interview. He said that when they'd walk a guy up to the line to blitz we wouldn't adjust to pick him up. So they kept sending a blitzer, and we kept failing to account for him. He said they just couldn't believe that we weren't adjusting to it. So they just kept sending blitzers every few plays all game long.

The thing is, I think Pelini's teams were sometimes the same way on defense. If the other team found something to exploit, we had a hard time adjusting to it real time during the game. I think part of the problem is that Bo would get so worked up during games that he couldn't think straight. Oh well, that's ancient history now. JMHO.

melvin-gordon-2_medium.gif

Oh man, what a nightmare. That one single afternoon bumped Melvin Gordon up about 15 spots in the NFL draft. I think it's only fair that he split that big windfall with usand donate about a half million $$ to the NU athletic dept. :lol:

That is not a scheme issue...basically everyone defends Jet by automatically coming up on it with a LB or S...that is just a missed tackle in space.

That is a one yard loss if the tackle is made.

I'm sure most people on here think I'm a Bo-Lover, which isn't true. I was in favor of him getting fired after the 2014 season, as he had been at NU 7 years, hadn't won any significant championships, wasn't making improvements with the win-loss record, and he had downright boorish behavior on the sidelines and with the media.

However, I am don't have all the hate towards Bo that a lot of people on here do. I think he had a good win-loss record at NU, but I realize it wasn't enough.

I think Bo struggled with the expectations of the NU fans and the pressure cooker that is Lincoln. That doesn't mean he is a terrible coach.

My disdain for Bo has nothing to do with wins and losses. Sure a lot of us wanted him gone for those reasons as well. My disdain is because I defended him and his antics for so long. And even after the firing, it was simply about performance and wishing him well. But that meeting with the players? That behavior is 100% unacceptable. And ive said this since then. f#*k him. Of all the advantages and all the ppl-like CMHusker-who still drape all over him to this day, he's gonna sit there and generalize and tell all those mentally confused and fragile college guys how much of a bitch it is here? As a person and leader, Bo can kiss my ass. That was the dagger. He'd have a whole hell of a lot of work to do to overcome that sh#t to me. But as a football coach? yes. he's pretty good. Not to be confused with "good enough" or great for this level. Ive said that as such in this very thread. I would hope that disdain for Bo from others is along the same lines. Cuz yeah, he didnt do a horrible job in terms of just pure football. it decent, or pretty good. just not good enough. which is ok. And knowing what we found out about his feelings right after the firing, we also know that it couldve been better. Obviously his focus and passion and effort was put forth to the completely wrong things.

That is not a scheme issue...basically everyone defends Jet by automatically coming up on it with a LB or S...that is just a missed tackle in space.

That is a one yard loss if the tackle is made.

That is correct. i argued myself blue in the face for months after that game this very concept. if you watch the whole game and knew what you were looking for you would be in total agreement that Stafford and Whaley single handidly cost us 350 yards and 35 points in that game. I remember seeing it live thinking "what the hell are those two guys doing?" Hell on this very play. What the hell is Stafford doing? Get to your spot. Play your leverage. Quit trying to be a showboat, and we make the stop for a 5 yard gain, if that.

One missed tackle but there are about 10 other times they ran the exact same play and got 10+ yards every time. Eventually you have to look at making an adjustment when something like that is working so well.

This was always a legit knock on him. 408 proved that. Once Wiscy figured our fit keys? Game over. And we NEVER changed it. I think bo always had the attitude that he knew HIS stuff worked if done correctly. So we're gonna keep doing it. instead of just swallowing pride and doing what it takes to win today.

And in that play, technically, Stafford shouldnt even be trying to make the tackle. his first job should be leveraging the runner back to the help. Even tho Fish is really slow to react, if Stafford swallows pride and does his job as a safety, it's a 5 yard gain at most.

• Fire 1

One missed tackle but there are about 10 other times they ran the exact same play and got 10+ yards every time. Eventually you have to look at making an adjustment when something like that is working so well.

Sure...I was just talking about that particular play. We can put them in the spot but we can't make the play for them.

About 3 weeks ago in a game of the team I coach we had a DB break on a ball, it was basically a WR screen/Tunnel whatever you want to call it...Anyway, kid break on it and makes a great play for a pick 6...only problem...he didn't catch the ball. It bounced off his hands into the WR's hands for a 20 yard gain.

We played it perfectly on that play but we just did not make the play. Similar to the play that is posted above.

I'll also throw in Bo's lack of want to get out of his matchup coverage and play some conventional zone against teams like Wisconsin. how many times in all those games was it just to easy to just run off our secondary? I mean cmon. Who was this 6th string qb in this 2012 ccg? The vaunted joel Stave in 2014?

That, for sure, was a problem!