Bo Pelini to PURDUE?

I think Bo would be a phenomenal DC in the NFL. Talent across the board. Unlimited prep time (his system was predicated on hours of film study to determine tendancies and combos). Lack of mobile qb's to deal with. No recruiting. it seems like a position that would be tailor made for him.

Yes. I think Bo has missed his calling. Some coaches are just not cut out for college football. We should've learned that from the Callahan debacle. Bill was a good NFL coach. Bo was successful at the NFL level but less so at the college level. Nothing wrong with that. Would he succeed at Purdue? I doubt it as the powers that be would not likely hire him given his reputation and firing at NU. Too much baggage.

Completely agree. Bo would be a great D coordinator in the NFL. His scheme matches up much better in the NFL.

The hate comes from the faith many put in him to be hugely successful here. By 2009 we were ready to buy what he was selling, then 2010 we thought the wait was over and we were back on top.

4 years later...

That's part of it, but I think it is way more than that. Add in the embarrassment on a national level for his meltdowns; the way he treated the fans as a burden rather than an asset; his getting blown out on a regular basis and blaming the players instead of the coaches failure to adjust; the vitriol in the way he left the program.

In short, it is far more than just crushed hopes.

So, say you are the AD at Purdue. What are the pros and cons of Bo Pelini as Purdue's HC?

Now, try to be objective about it, if possible, so certain posters should not even bother (sick burn)

Pros: Young, very good win/loss %, great experience, From what we know he ran a clean program with no NCAA violations

Cons: Last boss and Bo did not get along, Swears (a con for some), gets angry, below average with media (locally it seems like)

• Fire 1

The hate comes from the faith many put in him to be hugely successful here. By 2009 we were ready to buy what he was selling, then 2010 we thought the wait was over and we were back on top.

4 years later...

So Bo is to blame for irrational exuberence followed by idiotic impatience. Good to know.

No need for name calling Carl.

So, say you are the AD at Purdue. What are the pros and cons of Bo Pelini as Purdue's HC?

Now, try to be objective about it, if possible, so certain posters should not even bother (sick burn)

Pros: Young, very good win/loss %, great experience, From what we know he ran a clean program with no NCAA violations

Cons: Last boss and Bo did not get along, Swears (a con for some), gets angry, below average with media (locally it seems like)

For "Pros" I would add: Players seem to love him (have never heard a player say anything bad against him); has been a champion at defensive coordinator level

For Cons I would clarify that: "Gets angry" is an extreme understatement and not really descriptive of his problem.

For Cons I would add: Not a good in game manager/failure to adjust (jet sweeps, etc); prone to making coordinator hires based upon loyalty rather than merit and experience; alienates fans; seems to be a lazy recruiter; never a champion as a head coach of anything but a conference division; aforementioned "anger" will cost team one game a year with an unsportsmanlike penalty (related to your "gets angry" con).

4 years later...

That's part of it, but I think it is way more than that. Add in the embarrassment on a national level for his meltdowns; the way he treated the fans as a burden rather than an asset; his getting blown out on a regular basis and blaming the players instead of the coaches failure to adjust; the vitriol in the way he left the program.

What finally pushed me off the Bo bandwagon was the 2014 Wisconsin game. For the 3rd time in 4 tries we got absolutely embarassed by them. And we had a good team, one thay could and should have won.

I couldn't care less about the sideline antics or the secret tapes. With a conference trophy that issue is null and void mostly. It was the constant disappointment via embarassing losses and the absolute reluctance to take responsibility for it by admitting fault or adjusting his staff to actually try and advance the team.

I'm on record and will continue to be that I like Bo as person and a humanitarian, hell I rven like him as a coach. But his tenure here had to end unless some drastic changes were made.

• Fire 1

So I'm just going to hop in here....

I believe people are claiming Bo is a defensive wizard?

Well, yes, against poor teams.

Against teams that are more apt and knowledgeable? Not so much. See Wisconsin.

They tore him to shreds, not once, but twice.

Just shows he isn't intelligent enough to formulate a way to stop a couple different run plays. Which is downright pathetic, if you are considered a defensive genius.

Having said that, he might be the best candidate Purdue has interested.

• Fire 1

Just shows he isn't intelligent enough to formulate a way to stop a couple different run plays. Which is downright pathetic, if you are considered a defensive genius.

Agreedbut it was three times, actually, that Bo got pwned by Wiscy. :lol:

2011: Lost 48-17

2012 CCG: Lost 70-31 (But we beat 'em by a FG in regular season game.)

2014: Lost 59-24

• Fire 1

4 years later...

What finally pushed me off the Bo bandwagon was the 2014 Wisconsin game. For the 3rd time in 4 tries we got absolutely embarassed by them. And we had a good team, one thay could and should have won.

I couldn't care less about the sideline antics or the secret tapes. With a conference trophy that issue is null and void mostly. It was the constant disappointment via embarassing losses and the absolute reluctance to take responsibility for it by admitting fault or adjusting his staff to actually try and advance the team.

I'm on record and will continue to be that I like Bo as person and a humanitarian, hell I rven like him as a coach. But his tenure here had to end unless some drastic changes were made.

That game was where I got off the bandwagon as well. Unfortunately I was at the stadium to witness it....

Agreedbut it was three times, actually, that Bo got pwned by Wiscy. So he was one out of four against the Badgers. :lol:

I'm sure most people on here think I'm a Bo-Lover, which isn't true. I was in favor of him getting fired after the 2014 season, as he had been at NU 7 years, hadn't won any significant championships, wasn't making improvements with the win-loss record, and he had downright boorish behavior on the sidelines and with the media.

However, I am don't have all the hate towards Bo that a lot of people on here do. I think he had a good win-loss record at NU, but I realize it wasn't enough.

I think Bo struggled with the expectations of the NU fans and the pressure cooker that is Lincoln. That doesn't mean he is a terrible coach.

• Fire 1

Bo could have been going 9-4/10-4 with the almost always once or twice a year blowout embarassing loss and acted exactly like Mike Riley and I would still have been in favor of a coaching change.

It wasn't the temper tantrums for me. It was the stagnant ceiling. Some may call it unreasonable or imaptience to expect more. I call it pretty normal fandom and not at all unreasonable for Nebraska to win something of merit once in a while.

Agreedbut it was three times, actually, that Bo got pwned by Wiscy. :lol:

I thought it may have been 3, but wanted to err on the side of not being over the top for a change. Thanks!!!

4 years later...

I am with you! I don't care about his "anger" or the things he said, doesn't bother me at all! I just wanted him to win, a lot!

• Fire 1

Bo could have been going 9-4/10-4 with the almost always once or twice a year blowout embarassing loss and acted exactly like Mike Riley and I would still have been in favor of a coaching change.

It wasn't the temper tantrums for me. It was the stagnant ceiling. Some may call it unreasonable or imaptience to expect more. I call it pretty normal fandom and not at all unreasonable for Nebraska to win something of merit once in a while.

That's fair, and that's where I basically came in. While the sideline freak outs got old, I wasn't too offended by them.