Could the Purdue game be the one?

Back in the days when Jacobson, Glover, Harper and Dutton were household names there was a very popular and profitable bet to be made that centered on the Huskers.

This bet needed to be placed with a person whose loyalties lie outside the state of Nebraska.

Once the monetary value was established the specifics were as follows: NU bettor would add the scores (week to week), the opponent was allowed yo multiple the scores.

The bet was that at seasons end the NU total score would be greater than the opponent's score.

Could the Purdue game make that a profitable bet again?

Purdues run game is pretty bad and our secondary is pretty good so maybe, just maybe we could pitch a shutout. But it's doubtful, Blough is pretty talented, he will find a way to at least knock a field goal through if we don't give it to them first.

We won't. Even if we're up 278-0, we'll still give up a TD in garbage time. It's how all games like these work. Put in the backups, you'll give up points.

Purdues run game is pretty bad and our secondary is pretty good so maybe, just maybe we could pitch a shutout. But it's doubtful, Blough is pretty talented, he will find a way to at least knock a field goal through if we don't give it to them first.

We won't. Even if we're up 278-0, we'll still give up a TD in garbage time. It's how all games like these work. Put in the backups, you'll give up points.

Hopefully it is a blowout so our starters can rest and get healthier for Wisky.

yep. Hard to shut people out anymore, it wasn't easy to begin with. Don't have the talent of a Michigan or Alabama defense and even those teams can have a hard time holding somebody to zero. Unless that somebody is Rutgers of course

We haven't pitched a shutout since Suh wore Husker red. Last one was Arizona in the Holiday Bowl, 33-zip in 2009. We had two that season. Beat the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns 55-zip a few weeks earlier.

"Nebraska's back and we're here to stay," coach Bo Pelini said.

b027_bush_mission_accomplished_205008172

"We look forward to covering UT sports like never before," said Burke Magnus, ESPN senior vice president of college sports programming. "I have little doubt that the Longhorn Network name and logo will fast become synonymous with excellence, just like the UT athletics program."

tumblr_inline_nk8n26OTHJ1szaa83.gif

We haven't pitched a shutout since Suh wore Husker red. Last one was Arizona in the Holiday Bowl, 33-zip in 2009. We had two that season. Beat the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns 55-zip a few weeks earlier.

We almost had one against Purdue like 2-3 years ago but gave up a long TD pass with a couple minutes left.

A shutout is great but we need to score about 50 or more to even do as well as last year really. Even though our offense seems to be better than last year, we are NOT actually scoring enough. We should be about 10 points a game better than we are - indicating our scoring efficiency is rather low. Not sure why. We have done fairly well on third downs conversions and I think red zone numbers are pretty decent. I believe we are actually giving up too many first downs and yards on defense, thereby depriving the offense of additional possessions. But just a hunch as I have not checked the statistics personally.

A shutout is great but we need to score about 50 or more to even do as well as last year really. Even though our offense seems to be better than last year, we are NOT actually scoring enough. We should be about 10 points a game better than we are - indicating our scoring efficiency is rather low. Not sure why. We have done fairly well on third downs conversions and I think red zone numbers are pretty decent. I believe we are actually giving up too many first downs and yards on defense, thereby depriving the offense of additional possessions. But just a hunch as I have not checked the statistics personally.

Our offense and defense have different strategies this year. If you want to look at statistics look at time of possession. We are pretty good there. Ball control and offensive efficiency is the new game. Less scoring, more wins.