Rain

Hoosker

When we found out about Sam, it was a rainy day.

He got into a car accident on a rainy day.

When we went to his funeral, it was raining.

And then the first game, it rained.

We looked at that as Sam telling us he's going to be with us no matter what.

-Tommy Armstrong

As I start this thread, there is a 20% chance of rain on Saturday up in Madison.

I realize, at the end of the day, this is just a football game. The better team should come out on top.

It's probably just wishful thinking, but how incredible would it be for the game to come down to a field goal by Drew Brown?

Joe Tessitore is calling the game. He was one of the last people to see Sam Foltz alive.

Everything is set up for a magical night in Madison. What better way to exorcise the demons of Camp Randall?

Call me crazy, but there is something magical about this team and this season.

For once in my life, as a football fan, I'm praying for rain.

GO BIG RED!

• Fire 5

I forgot that Tessitore was up in Wisconsin the same time as Sam. This just makes tomorrow that much cooler.

I'm excited for this game. Yes, Nebraska's looked bad at points. Yes, Wisconsin's gone toe-to-toe with the proverbial powerhouses of the conference Michigan and Ohio State. Yes, this is--on paper--Nebraska's first real test, but this team has been tested, had to overcome adversity, and each time they've overcome with flying colors.

This team lost one of its focal leaders just a few weeks before the season began, and yet they have not lost. This team watched very game Wyoming and Indiana teams slowly but surely peg back, but never surrender 17-point leads, and yet they have not lost. This team watched as #23 Oregon raced out to a 20-7 lead and threatened to run away with the game before fighting its way back to retake the lead only to surrender it on the very next drive, and yet they were able to muster up a massive, game-winning drive. This team was playing a stinker of a homecoming game against Illinois and was trailing 16-10 heading into the 4th, and yet they pulled off two monstrous scoring drives to win.

I think the talking heads oversimplify the meaning of tested. Tested isn't just playing games against quality teams. Tested is about the obstacles a team has had to overcome during the season: the death of a friend, a teammate, a role model, clawing back from early deficits, holding off fierce comebacks. Nebraska's tested and is very much worthy of their #7 ranking. They're going to play to their potential tomorrow night and be 8-0 when the clock hits :00.

• Fire 4

SO MUCH YES in this thread. I'd +1 you all more if I could.

This certainly feels like the strongest motivation any recent Husker squad has had guiding them throughout their season. I'm still so bummed out that Sam is gone.... but at the same time, it just feels so damn good the way this season has opened. It really does feel like he is willing this team to reach great heights from some higher place.

Regardless of what happens tomorrow, this team definitely has something to play for. They're out there honoring one of their own, lost too soon, who exemplified exactly what it should mean to don the Scarlet and Cream.

Never felt prouder to say GBR!

• Fire 2