Even with this loss

People have actually reacted pretty calmly/positively to this loss.

Yeah. The fans of Riley applauded our players and coaches for a hard fought, tight game at Camp Randallone of the most hostile environments in college football.

Plus, we got the added bonus of a couple of self-proclaimed Pelini lovers who came back from their absence during our unbeaten streak to do a victory dance in all the threads on HB. So there's that.

The only thing I find odd is how many people will sift through any outcome to find even the most tenuous evidence that we are further along today than we were before. All while ignoring that this staff has struggled to win (and has lost) against some very poor competition.

Did nobody inform you we started a new season?

I'm referring to struggling against bad teams this season. Week in and week out, NU has looked ok against bad teams. I get that you can't win every game in blow out fashion and that good teams sometimes struggle.

But, NU has not dominated a P5 game this season, particularly offensively.

I don't think you understand or watch much football outside of the huskers. Every team, every year, struggles with bad teams.

Not every week, though.

This team is talented enough that if they are preparing properly, they should go out and smoke at least two teams left on their schedule. I would think that would be Maryland and Minnesota, but I also think Iowa should be stomped by this Husker team.

Yeah. The fans of Riley applauded our players and coaches for a hard fought, tight game at Camp Randallone of the most hostile environments in college football.

Plus, we got the added bonus of a couple of self-proclaimed Pelini lovers who came back from their absence during our unbeaten streak to do a victory dance in all the threads on HB. So there's that.

The only thing I find odd is how many people will sift through any outcome to find even the most tenuous evidence that we are further along today than we were before. All while ignoring that this staff has struggled to win (and has lost) against some very poor competition.

I'm referring to struggling against bad teams this season. Week in and week out, NU has looked ok against bad teams. I get that you can't win every game in blow out fashion and that good teams sometimes struggle.

I don't think you understand or watch much football outside of the huskers. Every team, every year, struggles with bad teams.

Not every week, though.

This team is talented enough that if they are preparing properly, they should go out and smoke at least two teams left on their schedule. I would think that would be Maryland and Minnesota, but I also think Iowa should be stomped by this Husker team.

Rather than type out a long, thought out post about how we don't have the most phenominal athletes on this team, I'd rather just suggest that you go cheer for Alabama. They obviously have the team and talent that you loathe so much.

I would think that would be Maryland and Minnesota, but I also think Iowa should be stomped by this Husker team.

Why do you think that, when we've never beaten worse Iowa teams by any more than 13, and they played close to the level we did against Wisconsin and Purdue?

Because this team is still in "learn mode" and by Iowa we will have another 15 to 20 practices in the system under the belt.

And, this is not a good Iowa team. They lost at home to an FCS team. They barely beat Rutgers, and Rutgers is probably be worse than most FCS teams - certainly among the worst of P5 schools.

They have zero quality wins and are not dynamic on offense.

And, if you believe in the recruiting rankings, this "adjusted for current situation" ranking puts NU's roster 30 spots ahead of Iowa.

Not every week, though.

Rather than type out a long, thought out post about how we don't have the most phenominal athletes on this team, I'd rather just suggest that you go cheer for Alabama. They obviously have the team and talent that you loathe so much.

Can someone decipher what your post is meant to mean?

Not every week, though.

I'm suggesting that you become an Alabama fan. I'm sorry that was so cryptic.

You're the one that doesn't really believe in recruiting rankings - until they benefit your argument.

All of that stuff is nice, but when has that ever let us comfortably beat Iowa before?

2011 we beat 7-6 Iowa 20-7

2012 we beat 4-8 Iowa 13-7

2013 we lost to 8-5 Iowa 38-17

2014 we beat 7-6 Iowa 37-34 in OT

None of those were good Iowa teams. Pretty much all of them lost to Iowa State and a G5 team, or both. They barely beat teams like Ball State, Pitt, and Northern Iowa. They were not dynamic on offense. Their recruiting ranking rosters have always been a huge gap behind us.

Not every week, though.

Why would I do that? Apparently unlike you, I like and am impressed by the athletes we have on our team.

A great effort by the team that was at a talent and health deficit to Wisc playing on their home field. We had chances to win this game and the D, outside of a couple of plays, played wonderfully. I'm encouraged by the progress this team has made over last year. If we had a more consistent QB play, I think we win this game without issue. I say that not as a blow against TA, he is a good QB but is too inconsistent - and that may be in part to the play calling by Langs. Perhaps more plays capitalizing on his running may have been better. I do questing the final pass play - seems like we should have tried to just get the 1st down versus going for a long pass in the end zone. I would have liked to see DPE cutting across the middle and getting the yardage with his legs vs TA's arm.

I think it is great that we don't get embarrassed on national TV. I believe we will play OSU well and hope we aren't limited by injuries.

Not every week, though.

Why would I do that? Apparently unlike you, I like and am impressed by the athletes we have on our team.

Which was the point of my comment. Your post was a trap, so instead of talking about our athletes, I made a suggestion.

A great effort by the team that was at a talent and health deficit to Wisc playing on their home field.

Why do people continue to pretend that NU was at a talent deficit? It's simply not supportable. Rankings below are 247 composite.

DE - Alec James (3* - .87..)

NT - Conor Sheehy (3* - .88..)

DE - Chikwe Obasih (3* - .88..)

OLB - Vince Biegel (4* - .93..)

MLB - Ryan Connelly (unrated)

MLB - TJ Edwards (2* - .76..)

OLB - TJ Watt (3* - .85..)

CB - Derrick Tindal (3* - .82..)

SS - Dixon D'Cota (3* - .84..)

FS - Leo Musso (2* - .77..)

CB - Soujourn Shelton (3* - .86..)

That's an average of 2.6 stars per player and a rating of about .83, if you assume that the unrated player would have about a .70 rating.

I don't see how that line up is more talented than our D. And against our, offensive talent, they were trying to match up with a Husker offense that features 5 composite four star recruits (Armstrong, Gates, Farmer, Newby and Westerkamp) and a number of other high 3* recruits (e.g., Alonzo Moore).

Conversely, Wisconsin started only one four star or better player on offense (Clement). Most of their players, including almost all of their OL, was low 3 star or worse.

Summary of 4 star starters:

Wisconsin - 2

Nebraska - 6 (at least)

I'm just not seeing how it can be argued that NU was at a talent deficit.

And it's extremely frustrating to see players scapegoated like this.

Not every week, though.

Which was the point of my comment. Your post was a trap, so instead of talking about our athletes, I made a suggestion.

And yet your suggestion makes no sense. Why would I need to abandon NU for Alabama if I supposedly loath athletes?

Our program is taking a step forward with Riley.

But, we have an astronomically low chance of getting to Indy. I don't see much of a chance of Northwestern upsetting Wisconsin.

I'm gathering that their fans are less optimistic than you are about their chances there. They have a history of losing there according to them. I'm a Northwestern fan this weekend. My understanding is that if Wisky loses even if we lose to OSU and win the rest of our games we're going to Indy?