Catholic Hospitals

What about people for whom that's not an option -- especially in an emergency? People are being needlessly hurt by these policies. Can't anything be done about that?

I live in the area this gal is referencing and there are a number of catholic run hospitals, and there are "regular" ones within 5-10 min drive. I'm not sure that every area around the country has the same benefit, but most communities recognize the impact and the need to have other options. In additional to these policies, there are entire communities of people that don't appreciate the catholic faith and would opt to go anywhere else. Problem is we don't have city owned/run ambulances here, they're commercial and so depending on load of patients, capacity of a hospital and then proximity a patient in true crisis really has little to no say where they are taken.

I have a feeling I know where she was practicing, and it's a very high Hispanic, Portugese and Cambodian population, and the older generations would certainly support many of the catholic causes and beliefs. It's the younger folks, the ones that need the support in this area with respect to sex ed, birth control and etc that would get driven to this hospital by their family members.

And btw - isn't Samantha Bee a great addition to the talk shows? Her interview with the guy in Texas during the abortion ruling was my favorite thing ever.

• Fire 1

Watching this video reminded me of an article I read not long ago about a very poisonous "Pharisee Mindset" among christian sects and churches.

This is a unfortunate pregnancy/miscarriage is the perfect situation that appeals to this mindset in my opinion.

When I think about what Jesus would have done...he wouldn't have given her meds and fluids, he would have told her the truth and delivered the baby and then comforted her in grief while also grieving with/for her.

Here is a similar article. However not the same one that I read before. It outlines many many things and I think this video and situation could have been included in this list.

http://frankpowell.me/12-signs-you-are-modern-day-pharisee

• Fire 1

No Catholic hospital would give an abortion, that is pretty obvious. When you work at one you should know that. Abortion is a terrible option and is accepted by our society for the feelings of the mother, no one even cares about the life liberty. or property of the child insider her. The lady should not have blamed the hospital when she knew fully what institution she was working for.

No Catholic hospital would give an abortion, that is pretty obvious. When you work at one you should know that. Abortion is a terrible option and is accepted by our society for the feelings of the mother, no one even cares about the life liberty. or property of the child insider her. The lady should not have blamed the hospital when she knew fully what institution she was working for.

The patient didn't go to have an abortion, she went for medical care for her condition. It wasn't having to be done to bend to the "feelings" of the mother. Everybody cares about her and the child inside her - that's why they went to the hospital.

This catholic hospital is affiliated with training hospital, the doctor was in her OB/Gyn fellowship. The institution that it's affiliated with is an academic center (which is why physicians in study rotate through there) and so every other place she would have worked or rotated into during her training would have allowed her to do the procedure that would have saved the life of the mother (if that's what was determined to be the best course of action).

Simple math as a doc in those circumstances. Going to lose the baby no matter what, by not moving forward in a timely manner they also put the mother's life at risk. Does the life and liberty of the mother matter?

What is the Question that this thread is asking?

Is this a Pro life / Pro Choice thread?

I am religious but not so much that I follow the teachings as if I was a cult member, but in the same breath, this doctor accepted this position at this hospital knowing full well of the limitations she had to adhear too. Obviously she is no longer there and stated she would never work at another catholic hospital.

Regarding the mother and the unborn child, I understand the quandary but certain medical institutions throughout the US are limited in what they can do for many reasons, other than religious beliefs. How do those patients deal with those types of scenerios?

BigRedBuster asked a good question above that has not been addressed. What do other religiously ran hospitals do?