Who is the worst commissioner?

Magnus

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I admit I stole this topic from another board, however:

After the B1G’s announcement about Friday night football, it got me thinking about all the commissioner blunders that have been occurring, especially lately. I found it odd that I knew so many of their names off the top of my head, all for bad reasons.

Here are the candidates:

Jim Delany (B1G): Most recently, he released that teams would be playing on Fridays. He clearly didn’t ask the universities about this, because there was instant backlash. Responsible for adding Rutgers. Destroyed the CCHA. Anything to make a quick buck > tradition.

Greg Sankey (SEC): A few weeks ago he completely botched postponing the Florida/LSU game, and instead it's now a home game for LSU. This didn’t seem like a huge deal at the time, but now Florida is first in the East, and LSU is very much alive in the West. He also spent all summer complaining about satellite camps instead of addressing huge issues at Ole Miss and Tennessee.

Bob Bowlsby (Big12): Basically signed a death warrant for the conference. Was bullied by ESPN to halt expansion for a mere $10 million (a whopping $1 million per school). Except for Texas, the payouts for next year are expected to be about $30 million per school. By comparison, B1G and SEC will be ~$50 million. Not sure if the intent to expand was ever even there, or they just needed to convince themselves they were still relevant by trolling G5 teams all summer.

Roger Goodell (NFL): LOL, needs no introduction.

Gary Bettman (NHL): As recently as last week, he continues to vehemently deny that CTE is linked to concussions. He also went all in on a Las Vegas expansion team instead of more sustainable cities. Three lockouts have almost crippled the NHL under his watch.

Sepp Blatter (FIFA): A pinnacle of corruption.

The first 3 aren't even bad.

Bettman is a tool and looks slimey, but he's really helped the NHL step up after the lockouts.

Goodell is literally just a puppet for the owners, so as much as people hate him, myself included, it's not really his fault when the NFL makes dumb legal decisions. He's just a designated scapegoat.

Blatter is the only one who is worthy of being on this list because of his corruption.

From top most corrupt/worst for the sport/conference etc...

1.Sepp Blatter

1.Anyone at the IOC

2.Roger Goodell

3.Bob Bowlsby

4.Gary Bettman

I got a tie for first, had to add one of my own. Wouldn't add the other two(Jim and Greg) really, sure sec's priorities are what makes most of their conference a group of glorified high schools, but he did not harm them sports wise at least. Delany on the other hand did far more good for the conference then anything that could be considered detrimental to it's well being.

Delaney has singlehandedly turned college football on its head with innovative strategies like the BTN and aggressive expansion. All in the name of making the B1G competitive.

He has done his job in spades.

^ Delaney is a driving force in this conference and not a mouth piece or puppet like Beebe was in the BIG XII or Bowlsbey is now. The BIG is in good hands with him, not everything he has done has been popular but he has never done anything to bring it harm.

Delaney has singlehandedly turned college football on its head with innovative strategies like the BTN and aggressive expansion. All in the name of making the B1G competitive.

He has done his job in spades.

+1. He is far from the worst commissioner in sports, in fact I'd argue he's one of the best.