Backup QBs Inside Top 15

Atbone95

I got challenged on this on my status, and I hear it all the time - and it pisses me off more than any argument I've ever heard used. I also ran a half marathon this morning, and a project to ensure I'm not moving off my couch sounds great.

"If we gave our backup QB actual reps we wouldn't be screwed when our starter goes down. Other teams do it."

No, no they don't.

Back-ups in the top 15:

Alabama, Blake Barnett, 11/19 for 219 yds, 57.9%, 2TDs, 0 Ints

Michigan, John O'Korn, 13/18 for 114 yds, 72.2%, 2TDs, 0 Ints

Clemson, Nick Schuessler, 19/29 for 303yds, 65.6%, 3TDs, 0 Ints (played an entire half this week)

Washington, KJ Carta-Samuels, 9/13 for 104 yds, 69.2%, 3TDs, 0 Ints

Louisville, Kyle Bolin, 18/27 for 234yds, 66.7%, 2TDs, 1 Int

Ohio State, Joe Burrow, 16/19 for 151yds, 84.2%, 1TD, 0 Ints

Wisconsin* - no backup QB outside of Hornibrook/Houston has gotten a single snap

Auburn, John Franklin III, 9/15 for 94yds, 60%, 1TD, 0 Ints

Oklahoma, Austin Kendall, 16/22 for 143 yds, 73%, 2 TDs, 0 Ints

A&M, Jake Hubenak, 23/38 for 350yds, 60.5%, 3TDs, 1 Int (played almost entire game this weekend)

West Virginia, Chris Chugunov, 1/3 for 4yds, 33.3%, 0TD, 1 Int

Penn State, Tommy Stevens, 1/2 for 26yds, 50%, 0TD, 0 Int

Utah, Tyler Huntley, 4/6 for 24yds, 66.7%, 0TD, 0 Int

Western Michigan* - no backup QB has attempted a single pass

North Carolina, Nathan Elliott, 7/8 for 46yds, 87.5%, 0TD, 0 Int

I did this and got tired. I'll probably expand to the top 25 later tonight.

Takeaways: Outside of Clemson and A&M, who actually had QBs have to play half to almost full games this weekend, almost no team out there gets reps to their backup QB for sh#ts and giggles. Adjusted over 9 games, the best QB on this list got 3 passing attempts per game, and he happens to be a backup on a team who is normally up by 35+ at halftime. Please stop.

• Fire 5

And to add to your point, I believe Blake Barnett was the starter for game for 'Bama giving him more playing time. I'd do the research, but don't want to, I'd guess most of his stats were in that first game.

And Louisville, who's absolutely curb stomped teams this year, and could have benched Jackson for the entire second half, their back up still only has 27 attempts. You're right, no one gets back ups in, it's not how it's done in today's college football.

• Fire 2

"If we gave our backup QB actual reps we wouldn't be screwed when our starter goes down. Other teams do it."

No, no they don't.

Thanks for posting this. I'm getting tired of people saying week after week that we should burn POB's shirt (i.e. waste a year of his eligibility) to get him practice for next year.

• Fire 6

No, no they don't.

Thanks for posting this. I'm getting tired of people saying week after week that we should burn POB's shirt (i.e. waste a year of his eligibility) to get him practice for next year.

Yeah, I was hoping to see POB several games ago. I just don't think there is any substitute for real game experience. But there comes a point in the season when it doesn't make sense to burn a shirt. We are past that point now.

• Fire 1

Facts wont change ppls minds. It's jsut the way it is. They have their fantasy opinions that are driven by the fact that we continued on road to a national title 20 years with backup qb's and a false perception that walk on third string Matt Turman musta played 5 games instead of just 4 quarters. So folks keep looking back on that as a norm instead of an anomoly.

• Fire 1