2017 Offense

Even the most casual of fans already knew what was discussed here. Moving forward our qb's will be accurate passers first and runners second. They will be more accurate and more comfortable in the pocket and making reads under diress than Tommy every will be. There's more than one way to skin a cat, so this is not putting one over the other. But for the sake of comfort (and i've been saying since last year that there is a serious lack of comfort from OC to qb skill an vice versa. The OC is not a wiz at the qb's skill. The qb isnt a gamer at what the OC's bread and butter is) we will be better off going forward. Just looking at saturday it appeared that the coaches knowing full well the qb run game was pretty much not in play our prep time was more utilized on developing the things we needed and ramping up the development of nuances that these coaches are comfortable with and within their expertise.

• Fire 1

I said it during the game that I felt like our offense next year might look very similar to what we saw against Maryland. And there's nothing I don't like about that.

I'm not a big fan of it. It will work well to confuse the defenses of the weaker teams, but the better defenses are more disciplined and more athletic. Some of those wide open guys that were there against Maryland won't be there against the top defenses in the Big Ten.

Now, if Cavanaugh is able to make huge improvements to the o-line, and he and Langsdorf can find a solid running game, I will be happier.

I said it during the game that I felt like our offense next year might look very similar to what we saw against Maryland. And there's nothing I don't like about that.

I'm not a big fan of it. It will work well to confuse the defenses of the weaker teams, but the better defenses are more disciplined and more athletic. Some of those wide open guys that were there against Maryland won't be there against the top defenses in the Big Ten.

Now, if Cavanaugh is able to make huge improvements to the o-line, and he and Langsdorf can find a solid running game, I will be happier.

This is where an accurate qb comes into play. Even Leidner made some really good throws against us into tight windows. Remember Cook in 2013 for Sparty? Yes. Against really good defenses, guys are not open, so they have to be thrown open. sound mechanics, composure under pressure and accurate throws. it can be done.

This is where an accurate qb comes into play. Even Leidner made some really good throws against us into tight windows. Remember Cook in 2013 for Sparty? Yes. Against really good defenses, guys are not open, so they have to be thrown open. sound mechanics, composure under pressure and accurate throws. it can be done.

Yes, it can be done, but it just brings so many factors into play. Solid o-line play is needed to protect the QB, great route running by the WR, and accurate passing by the QB.

Again, it can be done, it just requires top athletes doing their job to the top capabilities.

We are losing a lot of valuable players this year, but with the direction of the new offense it will for sure be interesting. I like a lot of the young talent on this team, even the players who haven't seen the field yet. Langs will need to get this unit up to speed quickly

QB - Armstrong & Fyfe. It will be the first career start at Nebraska for whoever wins the job

• Lee, O'Brien

RB - Newby

• Ozigbo, Bryant, Wilbon

WR - Westerkamp, Moore, Reilly

• Morgan, Pierson-El, Spielman

TE - Carter, Cotton, Foster. It will be a first career start at TE next year

• Hoppes, Snyder, Engelhaupt

OL - Utter - This is the one bright spots for next year. I think with Gates, Farmer, Foster we are in great shape. Lots of solid young talent will push for PT in 17'

• Fire 1

Solid Oline play is needed no more or no less for any qb. Yes, Tommy can run around and get away from pressure from the most part, but how does it usually end up?

Bottom line is i'm really intrigued to see where we go from here when this offensives staff can really tone down on the qb run game, which isnt even remotely close to their specialty anyway, and really hammer in on the things that are within their expertise and begin the fine tuning there.

• Fire 2

And I think another point, Count and Husk, is of course that if your offensive line is injured/not playing well, scheme doesn't even matter that much anyway.

I like the idea of Ozigbo and Bryant taking handoffs from under center and being involved in the passing game. I like the idea of a QB who, just as Fyfe did on Saturday, hits those WR sideline screens perfectly in stride for the receiver to take a step into the ball to get some steam. Those "run replacement" pass plays give your offense so much against fast and talented defenses.

You don't have to literally run a "spread" offense to spread the defense out to open up running lanes. I liked what I saw on Saturday a lot.

Even Fran Tarkenton, Joe Montana, Bret Farve, John Elway, Tom Brady, Johnny Unitas, and Bart Starr needed a great team around them to be highly successful as QBs. It all starts with the offensive line and fundamentals of football (blocking, tackling, running hard and holding on to the ball, avoiding penalties and playing intelligently. Great QB play requires the help of the rest of the team, coupled with a good game plan and artful play calling. This is true no matter what type of offense is run (from wishbone to west coast to basic power I and anywhere in between.

There are some basic differences between the college game and the pros due largely to the limited time (practice and eligibility in years, etc). Whether there are more or less available players that are particularly adept at different types of schemes and plays is a matter of debate. For example, can we find great run oriented 'option style' QBs who are elite talents in running the ball and operating the option attacks (Osbone, wishbone/triple option, Notre Dame option etc)? Can we find great passing game QBs with the accuracy, arm strength, height and footwork, intelligenc to read defenses and find the open receivers, etc.? Neither QB type is easily found, recruited and installed given the constraints of time to learn, grow and develop, etc.

Bottom line is you need great athletes all over the field and plenty of them in order to construct a great college or pro football team. Recruiting is critical as we all know.

This year's team has played hard and given a great effort in every game, although we know there have been lapses during periods of almost all of them. This is the nature of 'college' athletics today. Young people have grown up in a different era and there are many distractions and complicated cultural and social issues that impact the focus and effort given by the individuals and the entire team. This is the most challenging part of coaching. I am proud of this team and the coaches seem to have done a good job getting the most of their efforts.

Ive been really down about Oline play and coaching all years. Seems there just hasnt been enough gimmicks and such used to help out a banged up and inexperienced front. it's always been straight up zone/man blocking. But saturday seemed like we utilized some thinks like pin/pull, kickouts, combos, and power much more than we've seen all year. And i just think it's a result of knowing the qb isnt going to be running around. When you have an option/running qb, your main offensive philosophy has to center around the zone game. inside zone. Outside zone. So that it allows your read game and qb run game to be significant factors and prepping points for a defense. So as a staff, if you have to spend time prepping your backs and oline (lots of time spent on timing, reads, mesh points, etc) for the zone read game, you then have to be very well rounded with the zone run game as a constraint. This takes away prep time from a lot of the stuff we saw on saturday, which usually requires more in terms of timing and rythm. Which is why i now think we havent seen as much this year.

I'm also of the crowd that that thinks that if what we did saturday is really what we will be moving forward, count me in. Take into account considerable talent upgrades at QB and oline. if you can be multiple and spread folks out and have the CONSISTENT ability to flank defenses with quick throws and bubbles, etc and draw them backers out of certain gaps, then you get to create really nice angles along the front and allow that conventional handoff game to work. it's just something we have experienced much this eyar. I see it now.

And before some ppl go off on me about saying we're better with Fyfe than Armstrong, i'm not saying that. i'll bite that in the ass before it gets goin, cuz theres ppl here who dont know how to read and will take it that way. This is all about the future direction of this offensive system. And fact is our OC and QB have not been the best of fits for each other, and now looking back, oline issues and all, I think both have done a really good job finding a way to make it work enough to win games.

• Fire 4

I made the same comment about next years offense during the game. The only difference between the Maryland game and what we'll have next year is the ability to consistently throw the ball down the field. Fyfe made some really nice reads and throws, especially that first 3rd down completion to Westerkamp, but overall they were hesitant to throw the deep ball. Some of that might have been because of pressure, but I didn't see much of an attempt.

I'm really looking forward to that element next year. Having an accurate pocket passer, with a dangerous running back (Tre Bryant), and improved o-line will make for a pretty dynamic offense.

And for those that will say I'm giving up on this season already - stop it. Like many others, I saw a glimpse of our offense next year and I like it.