2017 Offense

Throwing this out, the top 10 have a good mix of mobile and more "statue" style QB's..... Come down to talent, coaching and scheme. Not necessarily in that order.

Let me go thru this by memory, going off last week's rankings.

Bama-dual threat

Ohio State-dual threat

Michigan-statue (now injured)

Clemson-dual threat

Washington-pocket passer, although pretty mobile

Lousville-dual threat

Wisconsin-statue

Oklahoma-dual threat

Penn State-dual threat

Colorado-dual threat

That looks like a pretty heavy lean to a more mobile QB among the top teams.

Throwing this out, the top 10 have a good mix of mobile and more "statue" style QB's..... Come down to talent, coaching and scheme. Not necessarily in that order.

Bama-dual threat (this is the first year of a dual threat qb at Bama in this run. Theyve stayed at the top with passers, or "statues (LOL)".

Ohio State-dual threat

Michigan-statue (now injured) pocket passer

Clemson-dual threat

Lousville-dual threat

Wisconsin-statue pocket passer

Oklahoma-dual threat

Penn State-dual threat

Colorado-dual threat

Bama-dual threat (this is the first year of a dual threat qb at Bama in this run. Theyve stayed at the top with passers, or "statues (LOL)".

Ohio State-dual threat

Michigan-statue (now injured) pocket passer

Clemson-dual threat

Lousville-dual threat

Wisconsin-statue pocket passer

Oklahoma-dual threat

Penn State-dual threat

Colorado-dual threat

Bama-dual threat

Ohio State-dual threat

Clemson-dual threat

Lousville-dual threat

Wisconsin-statue

Oklahoma-dual threat

Penn State-dual threat

Colorado-dual threat

You're stretching the "dual threat" with some of those.

Penn State/McSorely = 167/304 and 2600 yards passing.....349 yards rushing for a 2.9 yards per carry average

Oklahoma/Mayfield = 222/311 and 3381 yards passing ......138 yards rushing for a 1.9 yards per carry average

They might not be "statues" but they aren't QBs that are going to win with their legs.

Bama-dual threat

Ohio State-dual threat

Clemson-dual threat

Lousville-dual threat

Wisconsin-statue

Oklahoma-dual threat

Penn State-dual threat

Colorado-dual threat

Penn State/McSorely = 167/304 and 2600 yards passing.....349 yards rushing for a 2.9 yards per carry average

Oklahoma/Mayfield = 222/311 and 3381 yards passing ......138 yards rushing for a 1.9 yards per carry average

They might not be "statues" but they aren't QBs that are going to win with their legs.

this is the point im trying to make. the line between a dual threat/running and a pocket passer/statue is so clouded anymore. This isnt the 90's. It's not Peyton Manning vs Scott Frost. it's not Tommie Frazier vs Frank Costa or Danny Weurfal. It's not Eric Crouch vs Ken Dorsey. Quarterbacks are athletes now. This generation of qb has developed and grew up under the training and ideal that being able to move around and be somewhat service, at the very least, with their legs is a must. So this assumption that guys cant and wont move around just because they throw a nice ball, them days are done.

If NU tries to run the Maryland gameplan with a first year QB next year, NU will be lucky to finish above .500.

So, you'd like to run the "Tommy Armstrong Offense" with O'Brien, Lee, or Gebbia?

With those options at QB, I'd like to see an average of 20 passes a game - take the game out of the QBs hands, as much as possible. Win "ugly" if you have to. We have a very weak schedule again next year. Take advantage of that to pound opponents into the ground and work play action off that.

I know we are losing the dynamism of a mobile QB, and that's unfortunate.

We have 3 teams next year that are currently in the top 8 in the country. How is that a "very weak schedule"?

• Fire 1

Bama-dual threat

Ohio State-dual threat

Clemson-dual threat

Lousville-dual threat

Wisconsin-statue

Oklahoma-dual threat

Penn State-dual threat

Colorado-dual threat

Deshaun Watson 107 for 425 for 4.0 yards per carry- Yes he is a dual threat, rushed for over 1000 last year, but with the return of Williams, Scott stepping up and Gallman running well he hasn't had to run as much.

The ability to run i.e. Mayfield gives the D something else to think about. Not a true pocket passer, nor a true dual threat.

Now I would prefer a mobile QB over one not as mobile. One can be mobile, but not a dual threat IMO. In our possible 2017 offense, I'd take an accurate mobile QB over a less accurate dual threat.....

Looking at PSU and Colorado, IMO, they don't scream dual threat either.... Mobile maybe, but not killing it.

Keep in mind QB sacks count against the QB rushing stats, so that is going to have a big negative impact to rushing yards and YPC for some of the QBs.

Penn State and OU definitely utilize a system that is made better with a QB that are legitimate threats to run. James Franklin couldn't wait for that statue QB to leave for the NFL so he could go to a spread system utilizing a QB threat to run.

Finally, CU's QB is about as dual threat as it can be. He's had 60 carries in the past 3 games combined.

Again, dual threat doesn't automatically mean "black QB" or "running QB" and dual threat doesn't mean they aren't good passers.

Let me chime in so that once again my post can be the one that makes everyone see the light (haha)

You are the new HC for a program and you get your pick of the QB you want...which do you pick.

A. True Statue (Think Hackenberg from PSU)

B. True running QB (Think a Navy QB)

C. A QB that can run and throw

D. None of the above

We all know the answer is C so why can't we just stop this crazy argument?

Let me chime in so that once again my post can be the one that makes everyone see the light (haha)

You are the new HC for a program and you get your pick of the QB you want...which do you pick.

A. True Statue (Think Hackenberg from PSU)

B. True running QB (Think a Navy QB)

C. A QB that can run and throw

D. None of the above

We all know the answer is C so why can't we just stop this crazy argument?

because c is really:

C1: QB that can throw at a high percentage and can avoid about half the tackles

C2: QB that can avoid most tackles and about 50% of the time hits his target with a pass

• Fire 1

If NU tries to run the Maryland gameplan with a first year QB next year, NU will be lucky to finish above .500.

So, you'd like to run the "Tommy Armstrong Offense" with O'Brien, Lee, or Gebbia?

With those options at QB, I'd like to see an average of 20 passes a game - take the game out of the QBs hands, as much as possible. Win "ugly" if you have to. We have a very weak schedule again next year. Take advantage of that to pound opponents into the ground and work play action off that.

I know we are losing the dynamism of a mobile QB, and that's unfortunate.

We have 3 teams next year that are currently in the top 8 in the country. How is that a "very weak schedule"?

Don't bother. He thinks the Big Ten is having a down year. No attempt however logical or heroic will change his mind.

• Fire 1

I'm also of the crowd that that thinks that if what we did saturday is really what we will be moving forward, count me in. Take into account considerable talent upgrades at QB and oline. if you can be multiple and spread folks out and have the CONSISTENT ability to flank defenses with quick throws and bubbles, etc and draw them backers out of certain gaps, then you get to create really nice angles along the front and allow that conventional handoff game to work. it's just something we have experienced much this eyar. I see it now.

Oh boy. Now look what you've done. :P