Republican Party

zoogs

Ideally, what a wonderful thought.

Democrats have blocked SC nominees before while in control, Bork comes to mind, this is no different

How can you possibly think Bork is in any way similar to what is happening now? Reagan nominated another person for the same seat. Heard of Anthony Kennedy?

People who argue this crap need to look inwardly and think how they'd feel if the other "side" did it. If the Democrats did it, you'd think it was wrong. Because it's wrong no matter who does it.

The dems strongly opposed Bork, used every avenue to do so, didn't have the numbers and lost. Now, while not even having a hearing on Garland, which is extreme imo, the repubs are using the same mechanisms to keep out a nominee they dont want.

You do realize that Bork got rejected in committee, the Republicans and Reagan didn't even want to support him post-committee, and that Bork lost by having both Democrats and Republicans vote against him, yes?

I guess I didn't spell it out clearly enough ,but yes.

The dems demonized him with the ol "he's a racist" claims, it was only 6 or so repubs that voted against Bork. The republicans started doing the D.C. two step ,worried about their own political futures ,rather then the future of the country.

Ahh...yes....we are back to any site that checks facts is a liberal sink hole of propaganda that needs to be ignored.

Because facts are anathema to the current GOP party and its ilk. Willful ignorance is what is preferred anymore.

Correct ,and the dems are just as guilty. These echo chambers we have put ourselves in are more damaging then "facts" could ever be.

The full quote is the best.

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

John Adams, 'Argument in Defense of the Soldiers in the Boston Massacre Trials,' December 1770

Great quote. Thanks for posting. I love the John Adam's mini series and book by David McCullough on which it was based. The mini series does high light that quote.

• Fire 1

Ahh...yes....we are back to any site that checks facts is a liberal sink hole of propaganda that needs to be ignored.

Because facts are anathema to the current GOP party and its ilk. Willful ignorance is what is preferred anymore.

Correct ,and the dems are just as guilty. These echo chambers we have put ourselves in are more damaging then "facts" could ever be.

Red Til Dead, I understand the basic appeal to balance and equivalency, but at some point it utterly destroys our capability for discernment.

Only in a cynical world where everything is equally worthy of contempt and distrust can quackery fly just as proud as anything else. The promoters of such quackery promote precisely this cynicism because their political achievement depends on it.

Except for things such as, like, climate change, evolution, birth control, and stem cell research.

876.jpg

Yep, just like that there are more then two genders, GMO's are causing cancer and nuclear power plants will kill everyone...

Red Til Dead, I understand the basic appeal to balance and equivalency, but at some point it utterly destroys our capability for discernment.

Only in a cynical world where everything is equally worthy of contempt and distrust can quackery fly just as proud as anything else. The promoters of such quackery promote precisely this cynicism because their political achievement depends on it.

Would you agree that a heard mentality is no better. I feel group think has led to more pain and suffering then a dissent to public opinion

Are the only options "herd mentality" and "fringe echo chambers are the same as mainstream journalism"?

I mean, no institution is without its faults. If the criticism is specifically about groupthink and a herd mentality, I think those are things far more prevalent on the fringe, where unquestioned commitment to a cause is what drives it.

Except for things such as, like, climate change, evolution, birth control, and stem cell research.

876.jpg

Yep, just like that there are more then two genders, GMO's are causing cancer and nuclear power plants will kill everyone...

Says who? The ultra left hippie wing does not speak for a large part of the Democratic party. Conversely, mainstream Republicans in powerful positions deny science/pretend they deny science so they can get more $ from oil/energy companies. When 99/100 scientists believe humans are a big factor in climate change, Republican leaders tend to side with that 1 scientist who says humans aren't a factor.

Now for specifics: anti-GMO people for the most part merely want food to have labels on it so consumers can be more aware of what they're eating.

100% of humans do not neatly fit into our binary gender system, even if maybe 99.7% do. Think about it; that's enough to rarely encounter them, but 0.3% of 300 million is 900,000, or over three times the population of Lincoln.

I don't know much about the pro/con of nuclear, although I think it's generally understood that scientists tend to be in favor? Correct me if I'm wrong. On GMOs I'm much more sure. The anti-GMO group is a fringe, viewed with exasperation by mainstream left-leaning media.

*That* is perhaps a good comparison for the climate deniers on the right.

876.jpg

Man, you are way too easy - I was waiting for this response before I ever even posted.

Just because one group opposes certain types of science (wrongfully, I might add), doesn't mean that they oppose science to an equal degree as a different group. Your argument is that they're both the exact same because neither party believes in science carte blanche? Good luck with that.

876.jpg

Man, you are way too easy - I was waiting for this response before I ever even posted.

Just because one group opposes certain types of science (wrongfully, I might add), doesn't mean that they oppose science to an equal degree as a different group. Your argument is that they're both the exact same because neither party believes in science carte blanche? Good luck with that.

But, they still oppose some science that doesn't fit their agenda. Maybe there is more of that on the Republican side. But, the fact they oppose science due to a certain agenda is not a non-issue.

Nuclear power seems very safe. It's just that when something goes wrong it can be catastrophic.

I'm not sure why this was brought up though. I hardly ever hear people talking about it and I know quite a few left wackos.

What I hear from them is chlorine is evil.

One funny thing I've noticed is there seems to be a pretty similar proportion of Republicans and Democrats who think vaccines cause autism. You have the bible thumpers on the R side and the mother earth naturalists on the D side.

But, they still oppose some science that doesn't fit their agenda. Maybe there is more of that on the Republican side. But, the fact they oppose science due to a certain agenda is not a non-issue.

This is true, but not to near the degree that it can be said to be true from the Republican party.

This is true, but not to near the degree that it can be said to be true from the Republican party.

Probably true. But, one side doesn't have the moral high ground here simply because they do it less.