Republican Party

zoogs

But, they still oppose some science that doesn't fit their agenda. Maybe there is more of that on the Republican side. But, the fact they oppose science due to a certain agenda is not a non-issue.

I agree, it's absolutely not. But the mainstream left castigates the anti-vaxxer, anti-GMO fringe types who also tend to be on the left. I think we were talking about echo chambers. Not only is anti-science much less powerful a force in one camp, it's put down rather than amplified by their media outlets.

Some coverage:

1. http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/06/democrats-have-a-problem-with-science-too-107270

2. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-liberals-war-on-science/

3. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/20/business/economy/liberal-biases-too-may-block-progress-on-climate-change.html

4. http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/09/left-science-gmo-vaccines

5. http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/11/the-republican-party-isnt-really-the-anti-science-party/281219/

6. https://thinkprogress.org/new-york-times-shills-for-moribund-nuclear-power-disses-renewables-revolution-fc2e79e923bd#.gzyv2qnyx

Note that there's some conflicting arguments in here. Some of these are response pieces to one another. I'll have to read some of them more carefully, but I think the MJ piece does make some good points that will cause me to re-evaluate some of the things I've been saying.

GMO labeling is a prime example of this. People who can't accept that GMO foods are perfectly safe are freaked out and demand labeling on foods that have GMO products in them. There are politicians that are perfectly fine with supporting their efforts and there have been bills in congress and signed that support this.

GMO labeling does nothing other than promotes the fear tactics the anti GMO crowd wants.

I also deal with this in my own industry. Do some research some time on the battle to ban PVC in some states like California and countries in Europe. This ban is promoted by left wing nut jobs that have ulterior motives through their anti industry end goals. In reality, PVC is completely safe and actually is a huge part in making our world safer, healthier and providing both food and water to millions of people, not to mention it's part in health care and the prevention of disease and infections.

Our industry is constantly having to battle these nut jobs because they ARE able to start convincing politicians to do what they want with false information. They slowly convince enough people that are totally clueless on the facts to go along with them and then all of a sudden we have a battle in state legislatures that want to ban products that help society.

I personally have been a part of sitting down with politicians to educate them on these issues because the other forces are gaining ground in this area.

To say people on the left that ignore science and reality or oppose science are meaningless and not a factor in politics is putting your head in the sand.

GMO labeling is a prime example of this. People who can't accept that GMO foods are perfectly safe are freaked out and demand labeling on foods that have GMO products in them. There are politicians that are perfectly fine with supporting their efforts and there have been bills in congress and signed that support this.

GMO labeling does nothing other than promotes the fear tactics the anti GMO crowd wants.

I also deal with this in my own industry. Do some research some time on the battle to ban PVC in some states like California and countries in Europe. This ban is promoted by left wing nut jobs that have ulterior motives through their anti industry end goals. In reality, PVC is completely safe and actually is a huge part in making our world safer, healthier and providing both food and water to millions of people, not to mention it's part in health care and the prevention of disease and infections.

Our industry is constantly having to battle these nut jobs because they ARE able to start convincing politicians to do what they want with false information. They slowly convince enough people that are totally clueless on the facts to go along with them and then all of a sudden we have a battle in state legislatures that want to ban products that help society.

I personally have been a part of sitting down with politicians to educate them on these issues because the other forces are gaining ground in this area.

To say people on the left that ignore science and reality or oppose science are meaningless and not a factor in politics is putting your head in the sand.

Politicians sometimes represent stupid people. Ergo, they sometimes advocate stupid things.

• Fire 1

The head of the House Science Committee just tweeted out a Breitbart article saying the earth is cooling. Here is the title:

Global Temperatures Plunge. Icy Silence from Climate Alarmists

https://mobile.twitter.com/kejames/status/804427610763788290?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

If you can't see that Democrats don't even come close to this level of stupidity when it comes to science then I don't know what else to tell you. And when the Democrats have it wrong it's usually due to being over-precautious.

97% of climate scientists believe humans have caused climate change.

Why for the love of God do non-scientists think their gut feeling on climate change is better than what a consensus of scientists says? This is like me holding a camp where I host the 32 starting NFL QBs and tell them they're throwing the ball wrong and they really should be doing it with their face because that's what a 9 year old boy in my neighborhood does.

Except that's not actually what this is. The head of the House Science committee has received $650k from the fossil fuel industry (that we know of) and that's more $ than he's received from any other source.

Some "Facts" are to politicians (and their supporters) what numbers are to accountants - they can tell whatever story the 'holder' of those facts/numbers want them to say.

We are told to 'check the facts' but what site is free of bias? What facts are left out in telling the story? Most of us don't have the time to do a college thesis to get down to the bottom of the story.

Of course their are obvious facts - up is up and down is down, gravity works, my hair is black with gray (too much). Kind of hard to manipulate those facts. But many other 'facts' are manipulated by what is 'left on the cutting room floor'. We have to be honest, each of our most cherished conservative/liberal sites have biases.

Sometimes I come wt 'my' facts. Knapp normally tells me I'm wrong :facepalm::P . So then I reconsider if he provided good info. So guys - don't shut each other out - learn. I'm trying to gain from your perspectives as well. Sometimes I'm hard headed and it takes a while and some times I have an 'ah ah' moment :o

We have to be careful to disinguish between 'fake' news which is basically published 'stories' based on manufactured data or fictional sources and or information that is wholly invented and the misuse of real data to deceive or mislead the reader or consumer. Liberals are doing both of these but the rampant use of the 'fake' news stories has reached near 'bibilical' proportions.

Articles and news reports which are based or premised upon 'facts and or circumstances' which are simply untrue and pure fiction are quite commonplace and have been for the past 20 years amongst liberal 'news' organizations or outlets. The rise of the internet and web sources has spread this feux news (propaganda) to heretofore never dreamed of levels.

It has gone far beyond 'spin' and cherry picking of certain facts amongs a bunch of them. Liberals rarely have facts on their side so they have realized they can't win debates or serious arguments without some rational basis. If you don't have the facts, make them up! That is the liberal modus operandi. Their schemes have been seen through now and credibility is lost. Very unlikely they will ever get it back UNLESS they cease and desist in the propaganda and get real and admit the truth - an 'inconvenient truth' has been exposed as the 'invented lie' it always was.

Pat McCrory Lost the North Carolina Governorship. Now Hes Trying to Steal It.

North Carolina Republican Gov. Pat McCrory, champion of the country's most notorious anti-LGBTQ law, lost his bid for re-election on Nov. 8 at last count, by 7,448 votes. Yet nearly two weeks later, McCrory still refuses to concede. Instead, he and his legal team are baselessly alleging that the results were tainted by fraud, petitioning election boards to review the results and determine their validity. McCrory is not so obtuse as to think he can actually overtake his opponent, Democratic Attorney General Roy Cooper, in raw votes. His strategy is more insidious: He seems intent on delaying the formal declaration of a winner and delegitimizing the voting process in order to let the Republican-dominated legislature ignore the true result and re-install McCrory as governor for another four years.

He might even prevail.

So in essence...when republicans win it is obviously "the 'will' of the people, but when they lose, there has to be 'fraud' involved.

Some "Facts" are to politicians (and their supporters) what numbers are to accountants - they can tell whatever story the 'holder' of those facts/numbers want them to say.

We are told to 'check the facts' but what site is free of bias? What facts are left out in telling the story? Most of us don't have the time to do a college thesis to get down to the bottom of the story.

Of course their are obvious facts - up is up and down is down, gravity works, my hair is black with gray (too much). Kind of hard to manipulate those facts. But many other 'facts' are manipulated by what is 'left on the cutting room floor'. We have to be honest, each of our most cherished conservative/liberal sites have biases.

Sometimes I come wt 'my' facts. Knapp normally tells me I'm wrong :facepalm::P . So then I reconsider if he provided good info. So guys - don't shut each other out - learn. I'm trying to gain from your perspectives as well. Sometimes I'm hard headed and it takes a while and some times I have an 'ah ah' moment :o

We have to be careful to disinguish between 'fake' news which is basically published 'stories' based on manufactured data or fictional sources and or information that is wholly invented and the misuse of real data to deceive or mislead the reader or consumer. Liberals are doing both of these but the rampant use of the 'fake' news stories has reached near 'bibilical' proportions.

Articles and news reports which are based or premised upon 'facts and or circumstances' which are simply untrue and pure fiction are quite commonplace and have been for the past 20 years amongst liberal 'news' organizations or outlets. The rise of the internet and web sources has spread this feux news (propaganda) to heretofore never dreamed of levels.

It has gone far beyond 'spin' and cherry picking of certain facts amongs a bunch of them. Liberals rarely have facts on their side so they have realized they can't win debates or serious arguments without some rational basis. If you don't have the facts, make them up! That is the liberal modus operandi. Their schemes have been seen through now and credibility is lost. Very unlikely they will ever get it back UNLESS they cease and desist in the propaganda and get real and admit the truth - an 'inconvenient truth' has been exposed as the 'invented lie' it always was.

Can you give some specific examples?

Yeah. I'd love to see some examples of this as well.

Correct ,and the dems are just as guilty. These echo chambers we have put ourselves in are more damaging then "facts" could ever be.

Except for things such as, like, climate change, evolution, birth control, and stem cell research.

876.jpg

Yep, just like that there are more then two genders, GMO's are causing cancer and nuclear power plants will kill everyone...

Man, you are way too easy - I was waiting for this response before I ever even posted.

Just because one group opposes certain types of science (wrongfully, I might add), doesn't mean that they oppose science to an equal degree as a different group. Your argument is that they're both the exact same because neither party believes in science carte blanche? Good luck with that.

I was talking about trusting your own parties rhetoric instead of looking at issues with facts.

You brought the argument that conservatives don't trust science, why else would you post the graph. I rebutted with known views the left has that are in fact, anti science. Never once stating both are equal but that it does occur. Facts are facts, no need for luck.

Politicians sometimes represent stupid people. Ergo, they sometimes advocate stupid things.

Exactly , +1 my friend.

So he does realize that a completely fabricated lie about a Clinton-run child sex ring in a D.C. pizza shop gained a lot of traction, so much so that a man walked into the pizza shop with a rifle in order to investigate? He even fired a couple of shots inside the place while customers were inside.

Must've been a liberal inside job.

(in before "Maybe it was...")

Pat McCrory Lost the North Carolina Governorship. Now Hes Trying to Steal It.

North Carolina Republican Gov. Pat McCrory, champion of the country's most notorious anti-LGBTQ law, lost his bid for re-election on Nov. 8 at last count, by 7,448 votes. Yet nearly two weeks later, McCrory still refuses to concede. Instead, he and his legal team are baselessly alleging that the results were tainted by fraud, petitioning election boards to review the results and determine their validity. McCrory is not so obtuse as to think he can actually overtake his opponent, Democratic Attorney General Roy Cooper, in raw votes. His strategy is more insidious: He seems intent on delaying the formal declaration of a winner and delegitimizing the voting process in order to let the Republican-dominated legislature ignore the true result and re-install McCrory as governor for another four years.

He might even prevail.

Update: McCrory has given up the ghost and conceded the race to Roy Cooper.

Good. Good for democracy.