Republican Party

zoogs

Republican legislators across the country have quietly introduced a number of proposals to criminalize and discourage peaceful protest.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/19/republican-lawmakers-in-five-states-propose-bills-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest/

Read the headline and FB and was upset but 2 of the 5 are specifically for highway protesting. Highway protesting is stupid and shouldn't be done.

Republican legislators across the country have quietly introduced a number of proposals to criminalize and discourage peaceful protest.

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/19/republican-lawmakers-in-five-states-propose-bills-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest/

Read the headline and FB and was upset but 2 of the 5 are specifically for highway protesting. Highway protesting is stupid and shouldn't be done.

As much as I dislike the idea of limiting the right to protest, I can agree that no one should be allowed to protest in the middle of a highway. I would be quite distraught if I ran someone down with my car even if they were dumb enough to stand in front of it.

6 Books That Explain How the GOP Went Crazy

Not long ago, another magazine asked me to recommend six books that explain something important about American politics. I chose six of my favorites that help elucidate the most important development of the last half-century in American politics: the Republican Party’s embrace of movement conservative ideology. No other major party in the advanced world rejects on principle any proposed tax-revenue increase, or denies the legitimacy of climate science, or opposes universal health care.

I was told my list could not be published because it was too partisan — to be suitable for publication, I would have to swap out some of the books I chose, and substitute some that made the case that the Democratic Party had also gone off the rails, for the sake of balance. I replied that I could not make this change because I don’t believe that the Democratic Party, in its current historical period, has gone off the rails. That doesn’t mean I consider the Democrats flawless, just that they are a normal party with normal problems. It contains a broad range of interest groups and politicians. Sometimes one interest group or another gains too much influence over a particular policy, and sometimes its leading politicians get greedy or make bad political decisions.

The GOP right now is an abnormal party. It does not resemble the major right-of-center parties found in other industrialized democracies. The most glaring manifestation of this is Donald Trump, the flamboyantly ignorant, authoritarian Republican president-elect. But for all his gross unsuitability for public office, Trump also grows out of longstanding trends within his party, which has previously elevated such anti-intellectual figures as George W. Bush and Sarah Palin as plausible leaders of the free world not despite but because of their disdain for empiricism. And it had grown increasingly suspicious of democracy even before a reality television star with a longstanding admiration for strongmen from Russia to Tiananmen Square came upon the scene — which is why the “mainstream” Paul Ryan wing has so willingly suborned Trump’s ongoing violations of governing norms.

It is still fashionable to regard the two parties today as broadly symmetrical to each other — as, indeed, they once were for many decades. But that quaint notion has blinded many of us to the radical turn the Republican Party has taken, and which has brought the American political system to a dangerous point.

Thanks for that article. I'll probably pick up a couple books that are on that list.

Definitely agree that the problems in the two parties aren't equal at this point. There's a bit of a tendency in the media and even among regular people to make their problems seem equal, but that is false equivalence, IMO.

Honestly there's a lot to like about some conservative principles. Personal fiscal responsibility, trying to eliminate bureaucratic bloat, encouraging entrepreneurship, respecting those who serve... all of these are great things. The problems in the party itself and those who lead it run way too deep for me to identify with them at all, though.

• Fire 1

"South Dakota lawmakers declare state of ’emergency’ to force repeal of voter-imposed ethics law"

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/south-dakota-lawmakers-declare-state-of-emergency-to-force-repeal-of-voter-imposed-ethics-law/

"According to a statement from the advocacy group Represent South Dakota, lawmakers are now trying to use their “emergency powers to bypass normal check and balances, and repeal America’s first statement Anti-Corruption Act.”

"South Dakota lawmakers declare state of emergency to force repeal of voter-imposed ethics law"

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/01/south-dakota-lawmakers-declare-state-of-emergency-to-force-repeal-of-voter-imposed-ethics-law/

"According to a statement from the advocacy group Represent South Dakota, lawmakers are now trying to use their emergency powers to bypass normal check and balances, and repeal Americas first statement Anti-Corruption Act.

I love my SD, IM 22 has had those in Pierre tap dancing since it passed.

"South Dakota lawmakers declare state of ’emergency’ to force repeal of voter-imposed ethics law"

"According to a statement from the advocacy group Represent South Dakota, lawmakers are now trying to use their “emergency powers to bypass normal check and balances, and repeal America’s first statement Anti-Corruption Act.”

My rarely seen cousin Doug is quoted in that article. Did not anticipate running over his name here...

It's a slap in the face to me as someone who voted this bill into law back in November to see the lawmakers abusing their powers to get rid of it. It's an affront to democracy. We the people spoke up and the people that are supposed to be serving us need to represent our interests.

• Fire 4

My rarely seen cousin Doug is quoted in that article. Did not anticipate running over his name here...

It's a slap in the face to me as someone who voted this bill into law back in November to see the lawmakers abusing their powers to get rid of it. It's an affront to democracy. We the people spoke up and the people that are supposed to be serving us need to represent our interests.

This seems like they're doing exactly what the bill was trying to prevent - acting completely unethically.

Call your reps, man. You've got two Senators and a Rep who deserve a butt-chewing for this.

• Fire 2
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

Alaska State Rep Is Confident That Women Get Abortions For the Exciting Travel Opportunity - http://theslot.jezebel.com/alaska-state-rep-is-confident-that-women-get-abortions-1794928777

Rep. David Eastman (R-Wasilla) is pretty sure that Alaskan women are running a real tricky con with this abortion business, declaring in an interview: “You have individuals who are in villages and are glad to be pregnant, so that they can have an abortion because there’s a free trip to Anchorage involved.” He declined to name any specific examples of people who get abortions for the fun trip, but he definitely knows people.

Wow. You know, I always suspected it was a giant scheme to give women sweet state-sponsored vacations rather than medical care. Now I can rest easy knowing the only class of people who are being impacted are freeloading tourists gorging themselves on government largess.

• Fire 1