Republican Party

zoogs

He'd have to be an idiot to have whiffed on this one, but he didn't, so good job. Approval of this would've been a tacit admission of corruption and eschewing ethics. I think a non-insignificant part of this is people flooding their representative offices with phone calls as well.

Unfortunately, BRB, Goodlatte is the one who proposed this, and he's been repping Virginia since '93. He's pretty heavily entrenched in committees, so it's unlikely he'll pay a political price.

Until I see actions that indicate otherwise, the GOP is a bunch of supremely unethical weasels running around trying to game the system as much as they can get away with it to the detriment of the American people at large. I shudder at what this attempted move portends for the future.

I actually don't think that's the most outrageous thing in the world to suggest. It would fit smoothly into Trump's M.O., taking credit for not shooting you in the face; e.g, threatening to contest the results of the election as illegitimate and then not doing so. Or saying "I could've said some nasty things to Hillary about these other women, but I held back on account of her daughter being there" -- and then, when push came to shove, promptly bringing all those other women out on parade for the next debate after his tape leaked.

Remember that in the same breath Trump worked to establish the Ethics Office as unfair. Do not mistake him for its savior. He will continue to de-legitimize them as long as they are not pliant.

This threat and pullback can't be received by the office as anything other than a shot across the bow. However it came together, it seems part and parcel of Trump's unchanged aims to bend institutions to his will.

• Fire 3

Did Trump get them to stop, or did thousands of angry calls from constituents across the nation get them to stop?

This seems like something Trump would take credit for whether he had a major hand in it or not. I'm willing to give him credit here, if for no other reason than that he could have said the opposite of what he said, but I'm also fine thinking Trump didn't do the heavy lifting but still patted himself on the back for it.

• Fire 3

Enhance - I'm with you - I just don't see him doing this without a benefit to be gained by him. Period.

And Knapp - thank you. Many of us were on the phone and email today. Surely Trumps wacky email brought things to light for some, but for many consitutients were a big factor, or at least I (and thousands of my friends who were up in arms) choose to believe. We certainly know that claiming victory for this is in Trumps' wheelhouse.

Edit: just reread this and wanted to point out that I have thousands of friends. :wacko:

Did Trump get them to stop, or did thousands of angry calls from constituents across the nation get them to stop?

This seems like something Trump would take credit for whether he had a major hand in it or not. I'm willing to give him credit here, if for no other reason than that he could have said the opposite of what he said, but I'm also fine thinking Trump didn't do the heavy lifting but still patted himself on the back for it.

I'm trying my best to find things I should be happy about with Trump.

It's being hard. I'll take the opportunity to give him kudos over this.

Well...

Get use to the "selfy pats on the back". It will come often. But I'm glad the house repubs reversed course on this. Pretty bad message to be sending out at the beginning of a new term.

The other irritating thing about this is I doubt many of the people outraged about this on social media and in the country knew we had an independent ethics committee.

Not saying that doesn't still make it worth defending when under threat, naturally.

I think the threat is just beginning, and it wasn't necessarily a flap. Might be reading this wrong, though.

These are two wolves prowling around a fawn and the bigger wolf wants to keep it cornered for a while rather than kill it right away.

Paul Ryan: GOP will defund Planned Parenthood

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/paul-ryan-planned-parenthood-obamacare/

"Under the "Hyde amendment" that is attached to annual funding bills, no federal money is allowed to go to programs that include abortion services, unless they are needed to preserve the life of the mother or are caused by rape."

"The vast majority of federal money that Planned Parenthood does receive funds preventive health care, birth control, pregnancy tests, breast cancer screening and other womens health care services."