The Games that matter....

dvdcrr

Steve P. fired Solich saying that he wouldnt let the program go to mediocrity, and we werent winning the games that mattered. (K State) Then SE fired Bo Pelini saying: "We weren't good enough in the games that mattered" And that was after a victory over Iowa.

Now when I look at this year there were three games that mattered. We lost all three.

In two years only the MSU game stands out.

Now I aint no genius. Hard to believe, I know.

But bear with me.

If you are going to be firing guys for not winnin the right games, at some point dont you need to hire folks who can win those games?

Otherwise don't you look like a fool or hypocrite, standing by your man who has no proof of being better than the one you fired?

( Notice I didnt even mention throat slasher, not worth it.)

Solich was 58-19 including a visit to the NC game.

Pelini was 67-27. No power 5 program had ever fired a coach with that good of a record over 7 years.

No wonder coaching prospects think Nebraska is crazy.

You're right ,but now we have who we have and should get behind them. They made improvement this year and if that stops then maybe we'll see Frost, Bohl ,or some pro salary coach take over??

First of all I don't think Riley's job rides on 2018 depending on how recruiting is going. If we are recruiting significantly better than in the past, he will have some leeway to let a few more of those classes come through. I think 2020 would be more likely for a make or break year for Riley unless there is some sort of implosion

True, but I do think 2017 is still a fairly important year for him. Many of the guys starting or seeing significant playing time next year will have been with Riley for a time greater to or equal than their time with Pelini, or they'll be Riley's recruits.

Oh I agree 2017 and 2018 will be big years for Riley. Personally I like our chances next year and beyond just due to developing line talent once these guys are upperclassmen that line should be solid. 2017 will be super important going forward for recruiting and direction of the program no doubt and we may look back and say it was a turning point in the program either way. If it's good Riley may be on past 2020. If it's bad I think that may be his last year if he makes it that far

what makes you think there is significant developing going on?
what makes you think there isn't?

That's his only contribution to Huskerboard. He just asks people over and over if they actually think/believe the things they post. Anyone talking optimistically is stupid.

Not all heroes wear capes...

Sorry I just haven't seen it and I was wanting people to enlighten me ,because believe me I hope there is something to be really optimistic about.

First of all I don't think Riley's job rides on 2018 depending on how recruiting is going. If we are recruiting significantly better than in the past, he will have some leeway to let a few more of those classes come through. I think 2020 would be more likely for a make or break year for Riley unless there is some sort of implosion

True, but I do think 2017 is still a fairly important year for him. Many of the guys starting or seeing significant playing time next year will have been with Riley for a time greater to or equal than their time with Pelini, or they'll be Riley's recruits.

Oh I agree 2017 and 2018 will be big years for Riley. Personally I like our chances next year and beyond just due to developing line talent once these guys are upperclassmen that line should be solid. 2017 will be super important going forward for recruiting and direction of the program no doubt and we may look back and say it was a turning point in the program either way. If it's good Riley may be on past 2020. If it's bad I think that may be his last year if he makes it that far

you kidding! You have been watching these games right.

That's his only contribution to Huskerboard. He just asks people over and over if they actually think/believe the things they post. Anyone talking optimistically is stupid.

Sorry I just haven't seen it and I was wanting people to enlighten me ,because believe me I hope there is something to be really optimistic about.

people choose what they want to see and believe and sometimes they just dont know what they are looking at.

people choose what they want to see and believe and sometimes they just dont know what they are looking at.

or talking about

or talking about

Great points. After the Oregon game a buddy of mine told me it was a HUGE win.

I disagreed.

I think the OP is referring to the "big games." The ones at night, under the lights against the elite teams - the same games we lose in big ways. 408 rushing yards. 59-point spreads...that sort of thing. We can compete against the bottom-dwellers of the conference, but its the games against the powers that are the subject of his post (at least the way I read it). Not getting scorched. Not having all-time offensive records set against our defense, that sort of thing.

FWIW, I think we have to ride this horse for a few more years and give everything a chance to develop so we can get back to where we want to be - competing for conference championships and beyond.

Nebraska has flitted between average to slightly above average line play for a considerable amount of time. I know the question wasn't directed at me but, personally, I'm going to believe it when I see it.

• Fire 1

DVDCRR, what is the purpose of your post? From what I can gather, you are saying that 2 coaches with better records were fired...why hasn't Riley been fired? Maybe I am wrong...

I was not a fan of the Riley hire at the beginning, but have warmed up to the hire. Right now, we do not have the talent on both lines to win the game that "matter". Unless a coach is losing terribly every season, you have to give them several recruiting cycles as well as a few QBs. We are still on the last staff's QB, and he is going to be sorely missed next season. I would not be surprised if we go 6-6 next year and this is not a knock on the staff.

Nebraska has flitted between average to slightly above average line play for a considerable amount of time. I know the question wasn't directed at me but, personally, I'm going to believe it when I see it.

People like to claim this. But it really doesn't hold up to reality.

In 2014, Football Outsiders graded our line #11 overall.

And you don't end up in the Top 20 rushing offenses in the country as often as we have over the last 10 years with average line play.

People like to claim this. But it really doesn't hold up to reality.

In 2014, Football Outsiders graded our line #11 overall.

And you don't end up in the Top 20 rushing offenses in the country as often as we have over the last 10 years with average line play.

No, but you could end up there with considerably talented running backs and average-to-above average line play.

It may depend how you want to define or view "average-to-above average," but I'm not going to get into a language or semantics argument. The truth is Nebraska has not been elite or even great along the lines consistently for some time and I don't think you can argue otherwise. Hence, I believe it's fair to say they've been average to above average overall for some time.

• Fire 1