Showtime Running For His Life: Lawerence Phillips

It's also on Showtime On Demand and online

One of my favorite parts was a small interview with TO about the game vs Michigan State and Saban. Midfield, post game, TO tells Saban "You are a better team than you think, we have really good players".

Kinda passive aggressive, backhanded compliment. It was glorious and pretty much sums up what it takes to win even today and the cut and dry nature of college football that Dr. Tom understood so well

It was an excellent show to say the least. I was going through my own personal issues during the 1995 season and beyond for a few years, so I didn't remember a lot of the stuff they were talking about in the documentary. He had his demons that he couldn't overcome.

On a lighter note, it was nice to hear the "GOAT" coach in collage football history say that the 1995 Team that beat him in Lansing was the best team he has ever seen.

• Fire 1

It makes me question if the systems in place to handle those from broken homes and with propensity for violence are designed effectively. I am talking about child services and the prison system, primarily. Nothing against anyone who works in these institutions. In fact, I have colleagues and family members who do. I think Coach Osborne's raises the greatest issue here in that there are thousands of "Lawrences" that we have to find a way to reach, not only for their sakes but for others.

This would be a very good topic for a political board thread, IMO.

Not suggesting this gets moved or we stop discussion or anything like that--just saying that there are some good points in this that we should explore on that board, as some of the root cause of these problems could be considered political in nature by some. :) But it's a discussion we should have.

Also, anyone that has DirecTV has Showtime for free until the end of the year, so you should be able to watch it on demand (either via app and your DirecTV website login credentials), record it via on demand to your DVR, or catch/record a live showing on a Showtime channel.

Just FYI.

Also, anyone that has DirecTV has Showtime for free until the end of the year, so you should be able to watch it on demand (either via app and your DirecTV website login credentials), record it via on demand to your DVR, or catch/record a live showing on a Showtime channel.

We have DirecTV and we can't record this show unless we subscribe to ShowTime. We just tried.

And that's too bad because I would've liked to see this.

It's also on Showtime On Demand and online

One of my favorite parts was a small interview with TO about the game vs Michigan State and Saban. Midfield, post game, TO tells Saban "You are a better team than you think, we have really good players".

Kinda passive aggressive, backhanded compliment. It was glorious and pretty much sums up what it takes to win even today and the cut and dry nature of college football that Dr. Tom understood so well

I was at that game and it was actually the first Nebrasks game I had been to. Stadium was red. Seemed like we scored on every possession and I remember them just destroying Tony Banks. Good times. Suck it Saban

Reminds me of a kid I had in class one year. Always put his head down and slept. I used to fuss at him and make him stand up nect to his desk so that he wouldn't fall asleep. Tried every punishment in the book but none of them worked. Finally I just sat down with him and asked why he was do tired all the time. I figured it was because he was staying up at night playing video games, or talking/texting like a lot of kids do. He finally opened up to me and told me that his stepfather was abusive and was molesting his little sister - said he'd get drunk at night and then go after her. He said he had to stay up all night to protect her from his stepdad. Man it made my heart break, and I felt horrible for assuming what I had. You never know what these kids are going through. It certainly doesn't excuse LP from what he did and the choices he made, but experiencing evil at a young age can have a drastic impact on a child's mind.

• Fire 1

People can say what they want about the decision to keep him on the team, but you can tell by the interviews with the many men who coached him it was about more than what he could do on the field. They bought into him and tried to help someone who was failed by the system long before his fall from the penthouse.

It certainly doesn't excuse LP from what he did and the choices he made, but experiencing evil at a young age can have a drastic impact on a child's mind.

Exactly. While I don't condone LP's choices and his behavior, I do understand how he got there. And I do feel empathy for the man.

One more thing, people can say "well, he should have known better", "he was an adult". If folks knew how powerful and impactful upbringing can be, I think they would think differently. i went through things as a kid.....and to this day still bothers me. That was three decades ago.

There are things I still won't talk about, with anyone, including my wife. And I'm 53.95.

For anybody that has Time Warner (Now Spectrum) and a Roku... If you download the app on your Roku they give you every channel for free (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, just to name a few) on the app, as well as tons and tons of on demand. I thought it was a glitch when I first discovered it but learned it is a perk IF you have Time Warner(Spectrum) and a Roku but only if the Roku is connected to the internet through a time warner modem, which I am assuming is deter password sharing. Enjoy!